What kind of wood, Chain bounces off of it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbooga

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Got this wood and it knocks the teeth of the chain and i'm tired of replacing chain. Also feels a lot heavier than normal.

:laugh: That's Arkansas King Fossiloak - Quercusaurus arkansana rex.

Boy, gonna have to reconsider my firewood terminology. I call the dead 'n downed 10+ year stuff fossiloak. Bark and sapwood long gone but the heavy-grained heatwood as tight as a mallard's sphincter. Like burning dinosaur bones in the woodstove.

So, I gotta ask - how's that stuff burn?

KD57

Addicted to ArboristSite

Boy, gonna have to reconsider my firewood terminology. I call the dead 'n downed 10+ year stuff fossiloak. Bark and sapwood long gone but the heavy-grained heatwood as tight as a mallard's sphincter. Like burning dinosaur bones in the woodstove.

It appears to be plenty seasoned tho...

nategyoder

nategyoder

ArboristSite Operative
attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Nobody mentioned the round ones! Are they petrified wood also? I think they might be glacier stones. Did the Glaciers come down that far? I have a glacier stone that my great grandfather gave me when I was a boy. He was a farmer and found it on the farm. The glaciers ride on top of stones like this ball barrings and over time they are turned round. Awesome finds! I would love to go digging for stuff like that!!!

Nate

MRNDAD

MRNDAD

ArboristSite Operative

Burn??....Heck..I wanna see how it splits first...

MRNDAD

MRNDAD

ArboristSite Operative

Nobody mentioned the round ones! Are they petrified wood also? I think they might be glacier stones. Did the Glaciers come down that far? I have a glacier stone that my great grandfather gave me when I was a boy. He was a farmer and found it on the farm. The glaciers ride on top of stones like this ball barrings and over time they are turned round. Awesome finds! I would love to go digging for stuff like that!!!

Nate[/QUOTE]Maybe Fred Flintstones pet, Dino, passed a coupla kidney stones???:hmm3grin2orange:

stihl sawing

Nate[/QUOTE]I believe those are lava bubbles, Shoot you may be right too.