What Knot Do You Use For Pulling Trees Over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We come from two different professions with two different needs. In the fire service a bowline is not a life safety knot due to the possibility that it could come undone when repeatedly loaded and unloaded. For hoisting tools and such it is fine but then so is a clove hitch in most circumstances. In any rescue situation it's a figure 8, even with a carabiner.
Couldn't have said it any better. The Bowline is prone to fail when loaded and unloaded numerous times. The family of 8's when tied right has little to no slop in it. When lowering and hoisting tools a figure 8 on a bite or a clove hitch with some half hitches holds everything. I am a rope tech instructor at my department. And I try not to teach the Bowline the only reason why I do is because my company makes us. But like we said its 2 different industries. I was just throwin out some different points of views due 2+2=4 but so does 3+1. There's a million ways to skin a cat find what works best for you and what your comfy with and stick with it.

You can tie a bowline with yosemite and it will never come undone. Its really just 1 extra step.

Ok, "yosemite", now we're talkin' above this ol' noggin' oh mine, but iffen I want to learn that, I'll be sure to look it up. Isn't that a National Park? Right now I'm leaning towards the "double-loop-de-loop, with a coupla half-hitches". LOL!

Thank you for everyone's reply that's been either helpful or entertaining!

Fun times boys!

StihlRockin'

How do you get an 8 to cinch up on a carabiner?

That's what I was talking about when I said 'slop'.

What knot do you use to cinch up on a biner.

An eight doesn't cinch. Neither does a bowline.

I use an anchor hitch or a scaffold knot.
What do you mean how do you get it to cinch? Do you want it to tighten down completely and hold the carabiner still? Or do you just want the bite to be tight on the carabiner?

For you that think a running bowline is hard and it's quicker to use a carabiner please explain. Spliced eye??? Climbing on the ropes you hook dozers to pull them back leaning trees?????

In rock climbing or such you dont need a cinching knot. The rope is under constant tension. We use cinching knots because our lines slack and re tighten.

How do you get an 8 to cinch up on a carabiner?

That's what I was talking about when I said 'slop'.

What knot do you use to cinch up on a biner.

An eight doesn't cinch. Neither does a bowline.

I use an anchor hitch or a scaffold knot.

I like it when you post,, you make people think,, I think,,
Sorry for all you guys getting cold this week,
It really was a beautiful day,,
Jeff

I'm familiar with what with your sayin. But on our side with rescue we want the knots to have as little play in them as possible. We use static rope. And tie the bite as close to the knot as we can. So that way it minimizes stretch I. The know and it a little more forgiving I case of a fall.

I appreciate all the helpful replies.

To keep y'all on point, my original question was about using a slip-knot that won't cinch too tight and is easy to undue after a heavy load. The knot is to be tied after a throw-line is used to get it into a crotch, etc, then the knot itself would be tied from the ground, then pulled to the crotch in the tree. The heights would be anywhere from 20' to 55'ft. for me on average.

To further recap, I'm using a knot that does good, but every-now-and-then it cinches too tight when vehicle pullin' and is a bugger to undue.(worse when it's wet) Rope mostly used is a used 1/2"inch old climbing rope and not my preferred 5/8"+ bull rope. Was taught this knot over 25yrs. ago, but either forgot or never knew it's name and I have not seen other's use it nor seen it on the net.

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

Cinching down on a carabiner is necessary so the knot does not move around on the biner when not under load and end up loading the gate when back under a load.

In the class of 8's, are any cinching?

I don't know of any. That's why arborist use an anchor hitch, a scaffold knot or a buntline hitch.

Just a friendly discussion.
Friendly I'm good with. But there are no cinching you can just tighten but still it's not cinching down on anything. But hey I'm done. I was just throwing my advice out there to y'all. I'll post up some pics of us doing some training of us hangin on rope.

In arboriculture a bowline is not used for life support, either. We have drifted from the original question. A running bowline is fine for pulling over a tree and there is no loading and unloading happening.

I think we are all on the same page.

Bowline is used in life support if you're going old school and tying your friction hitch off the tail of the knot.

I appreciate all the helpful replies.

To keep y'all on point, my original question was about using a slip-knot that won't cinch too tight and is easy to undue after a heavy load. The knot is to be tied after a throw-line is used to get it into a crotch, etc, then the knot itself would be tied from the ground, then pulled to the crotch in the tree. The heights would be anywhere from 20' to 55'ft. for me on average.

To further recap, I'm using a knot that does good, but every-now-and-then it cinches too tight when vehicle pullin' and is a bugger to undue.(worse when it's wet) Rope mostly used is a used 1/2"inch old climbing rope and not my preferred 5/8"+ bull rope. Was taught this knot over 25yrs. ago, but either forgot or never knew it's name and I have not seen other's use it nor seen it on the net.

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

Use a running bowline and put a stick in the knot. When it's cinched tight, you can break it by pulling the stick out. That will give you enough slack to undo the knot.

One negative to using this method is the possibility of damaging the rope soon impact.
If terminated at the top ,the most that could get damaged from the tree smashing it into the ground would be 5to 10 ft.
The same damage would occur apr. midline with the base tie off.
Thats just not true. When the tree falls you can have a decent amount of slack rope under the tree. It wont be the whole length of the tree but it can be a decent length.

Latest posts

Back