What Knot Do You Use For Pulling Trees Over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One negative to using this method is the possibility of damaging the rope soon impact.
If terminated at the top ,the most that could get damaged from the tree smashing it into the ground would be 5to 10 ft.
The same damage would occur apr. midline with the base tie off.

We are really overthinking this.

I've had ropes pushed or pinned into the ground but never damaged by it. If felling on a hard surface I agree damage may be possible. The biggest danger to a pinned rope is over active chainsawing! Take time to pull the rope free before much sawing takes place will spare many a rope.
Hey,some guys go nuts if a rope is stepped on.I just don't care for them getting hammered into the ground.
To each their own.

I for one am very picky about keeping the <climbing line> out of the dirt and sand. I have bull ropes and retired climbing lines I use to pull trees and am not so picky. On the smaller 1/2" climbing lines retired to pulling, they do get scrutinized to make sure they're durable enough to do the job. If not, then I may use them for light limb lowering... or give to the climber who has been taking stuff from me that I can't prove. LOL!

StihlRockin'

Hi there..didn't read the whole post...so if this is been said my apologizes....I treat pulling a tree over almost the same as I do rigging a limb. I toss the rope over the highest crotch I can get away with..drape the rope down on both sides, do a marlin(not sure if thats the right spelling) hitch above a running bowline, then pull the other end of the rope. Nothing ever gets so tight that it won't come loose, and then if you have to reposition your line its not tied hi in the tree the knot is roughly chest high, which can be a huge time saver if something goes quirky. Hope it helps!

Latest posts

Back