What made you a stihl or a husky guy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut4fun said:
Each have their place. No brand loyalty here. Stock and 60cc under give me my metal cased Poulans. Modded is a different story. Stihl 066, Dolmar 7900, Husky 357, soon to be modded Partner 5000 plus.
you need to mod the 357:bowdown:

buck

buck futter said:
you need to mod the 357:bowdown:

buck
Why mod it again? I thought Big Dave Nieger did a fine job modding the 357. If you read the sentence again, you will notice i stated the 066,7900,357 are modded. 5000 soon to be. :laugh:

Right now, I'm neither a Husky nor a Stihl guy. I own a broke down Husky 359 lemon (Manufacturing flaw). It's been in the shop for nine weeks now, and the only thing holding up the repair is a back ordred cylinder gasket with no ETA. Even though Stihl is manufactured right here in Tidewater VA, buying one is out of the question for me because they want to dictate where you can buy one from. You can't even buy one on line or over the telephone. You can't even buy parts from them on line either. This is done so they can retard competition and over price their equipment so I won't buy one of them. Stihl's web site claims your purchase is backed by over 8000 certified service centers which implies you can get service at any sthil dealer. Not so! Most of these proprietary dealers will only work on the junk they sold. At least Husky offers a two year warranty on their junk... for what it's worth.

vapnut257 said:
Right now, I'm neither a Husky nor a Stihl guy. I own a broke down Husky 359 lemon (Manufacturing flaw). It's been in the shop for nine weeks now, and the only thing holding up the repair is a back ordred cylinder gasket with no ETA. Even though Stihl is manufactured right here in Tidewater VA, buying one is out of the question for me because they want to dictate where you can buy one from. You can't even buy one on line or over the telephone. You can't even buy parts from them on line either. This is done so they can retard competition and over price their equipment so I won't buy one of them. Stihl's web site claims your purchase is backed by over 8000 certified service centers which implies you can get service at any sthil dealer. Not so! Most of these proprietary dealers will only work on the junk they sold. At least Husky offers a two year warranty on their junk... for what it's worth.

I always think it is interesting the different perspective people have on dealers and parts. You want to buy parts online. That's great. I don't want to buy parts online. Usually, when I need parts it's because I broke something and I need to get up and running quick. I have plenty of oil, sparkplugs, bars, chains and such. When I walk into my local Stihl dealer, he always says hi, always asks how I'm doing and always has what I need in stock. Round trip to visit him is less than a 1/2 hour. I would much rather go see him than buy something online because I am a name and a face to him. Not so online, you're just a number, you get the same treatment as everyone else and many times that's not good. Last year my dad gave me his little 015L. I don't know where it was bought. Heck, the thing is 25 years old. I'll never use it much. I remember dad using it to trim the apple, pear and plum trees. It needed a few things to be a runner and the dealer was willing to look through his parts book, call around to other shops and find the parts I needed. Total price on parts was less than $20 and it wasn't even worth his time but he did it. That's why I go there. I don't care what the brand is, if you have a dealer that will bend over backwards to help you, you'd be a fool not to develop a relationship with him. In my area, it's a Stihl dealer, so I buy Stihl and I take my parts man a Coke everytime I go to see him.

Serveral years ago, I became aware that I have arrived at a point in my life that price is not so important anymore. Service is. I want a competent person to listen to what I need and take care of it. I'll pay for it, that's fine. But I don't want to return something 4 times because they can't figure out how to fix it. Time is valuable. Certainly you understand that from your experience with your Husky 359.

I started out with Stihl several years ago. Buddy gave me an 031 and a basket case 045 Super. Got a blown up 075 at an auction and bought a parts 045 that I fixed up instead of sacrificing. Came here and learned about other saws and manufacturers and Ebay. I think the first non-Stihl I bought was my 357xpg, and that was new. The rest, as they say, is history.

An interesting side-note, last year my friend gave me the original warranty card, owners manual, and repair manual for mine/his 031. Nice little extras to have.

As far as brand-loyalty, I have none when it comes to chainsaws. None are fundamentally different from one another, except the Homelite 26LCS. I've had the Stihls longer, but I reach for the 357xpg and 020AVP first, Husky 2100 if I need to. Most of the rest my saws are for grins. The 084 did come in handy over the summer.

Now, if we're talking tractors, keep the JDs away from me.;)

Chris B.

chowdozer said:
I always think it is interesting the different perspective people have on dealers and parts. You want to buy parts online. That's great. I don't want to buy parts online. Usually, when I need parts it's because I broke something and I need to get up and running quick. I have plenty of oil, sparkplugs, bars, chains and such. When I walk into my local Stihl dealer, he always says hi, always asks how I'm doing and always has what I need in stock. Round trip to visit him is less than a 1/2 hour. I would much rather go see him than buy something online because I am a name and a face to him. Not so online, you're just a number, you get the same treatment as everyone else and many times that's not good. Last year my dad gave me his little 015L. I don't know where it was bought. Heck, the thing is 25 years old. I'll never use it much. I remember dad using it to trim the apple, pear and plum trees. It needed a few things to be a runner and the dealer was willing to look through his parts book, call around to other shops and find the parts I needed. Total price on parts was less than $20 and it wasn't even worth his time but he did it. That's why I go there. I don't care what the brand is, if you have a dealer that will bend over backwards to help you, you'd be a fool not to develop a relationship with him. In my area, it's a Stihl dealer, so I buy Stihl and I take my parts man a Coke everytime I go to see him.

Serveral years ago, I became aware that I have arrived at a point in my life that price is not so important anymore. Service is. I want a competent person to listen to what I need and take care of it. I'll pay for it, that's fine. But I don't want to return something 4 times because they can't figure out how to fix it. Time is valuable. Certainly you understand that from your experience with your Husky 359.
Well said. I agree

chowdozer said:

Nice reply, I also will sacrifice price for the service that I am given from the local dealer. Their is no comparison.

i`ve got mostly stihls but my 395 has been a great saw, I also had a 3120 that was trouble free as well, and when I sold it I got 400$ more then I paid because no one in florida would get the guy one :laugh:

I got started in the early eighty.s with a o28 then a o42 the bolts where shacking apart faster than I could tighten them . I bought a husky 50 an never looked back .

When I was deciding what to purchase, I asked my logger friends. They all said Stihl. They said they could rely on a Stihl to work, but have had frequent problems with Huskys. Of course these guys use the heck out of their saws, so plenty of wear and tear.

When I went to purchase, I looked at both Stihl and Husky.

With Husky, no dealer seemed to carry the full product line. I got confused when looking at Huskys as to which saws had how much power. Their model numbers seemed to have nothing to do with how much power they had or the durability of the saw. (Pro vs homeowner saws, etc.) I was confused! The Husky dealers did not know anything about maximum bar length for each model.

With Stihl it was easy to see which saws had more power because the model numbers go up along with power. And I could easily see that model xx would provide a lot of power, yet the next model up would provide more power but was 2 lbs heavier. So easy to select the exact saw I wanted. Also the Stihl catalog says maximum bar length for each saw. Easy to pick which saw I wanted.

Then going to the Stihl dealer was great. They had the full product line of everything Stihl. They were very knowledgeable and were able to answer all my questions.

Bottom line: In my area purchasing a Husky = frustration. Purchasing a Stihl = a pleasure.

Then after owning my Stihl and needing parts, documentation for self-service, questions answered, etc. my dealer has always had everything I needed. (Internet has service documentation).

So far as safety, my Stihl dealer preaches safety and sells a full line of PPE along with the Stihl safety DVD.

re:what made you a husky or stihl guy?

well, for me, it was the trial and error of finding the right saw.a buddy of mine gave me a 1965 stihl 08s, and though it is a heavy beast, i fell in love with it.sure it has its quirks, and most people seem to dislike them,but i needed a tough saw and this thing is it.as a lover of old saws, i have run some very old pioneers,homlites,and others.....this thing just does it for me.....

just asked the local loggers what and why they use certin saws and the answer always came up husky do to the availibility of parts and service in the area.

chowdozer said:
Serveral years ago, I became aware that I have arrived at a point in my life that price is not so important anymore. Service is. I want a competent person to listen to what I need and take care of it. I'll pay for it, that's fine.

That's it right there.

I own a total of (insert gasp here) one chainsaw...a Jonny 2159. I buy a lot more woodworking equipment, though, and I learned the above lesson early. For my first tablesaw, I went the "save a few bucks" routine and bought a Grizzly 10" cabinet saw. Needed help solving some vibration issues, who do I turn to? Yup, you turn the dial on the phone. (Yes, mine has pushbuttons, but still...)

Now I not only buy my big iron locally, but only from a shop that WORKS on the machine as well. I don't care if you have a local storefront, you also need a service tech. That way when my canooter valve gets plugged-up because I forgot to change the blinker fluid, I've got a face I can talk to. Will I pay for that service? You bet I will.

I won't shop at the BORGs, but I'm also lucky enough not to have to. Three blocks from my house there's a hardware store...a *real* hardware store. When I have a plumbing question, they have a licensed plumber on staff. Electrical question, two or three of them on staff. Do I pay for that advice? Nope. They charge more up-front, but I don't buy, and install, two of the wrong parts first.

My saw shop knows I'm far more homeowner than professional, but they dole out advice like I'm a pro. And for that, I buy all my accessories, lube, 2-stroke oil, chains, etc. from them. And I don't dare ask for a discount.

At my skill level, I can't afford the discount.

See

ASEMASTER said:
just asked the local loggers what and why they use certin saws and the answer always came up husky do to the availibility of parts and service in the area.

VT, primarily a democratic state and very liberal at that. Here we go again... lol. Just a little funny there.

stihl

ciscoguy01 said:
VT, primarily a democratic state and very liberal at that. Here we go again... lol. Just a little funny there.
Yes and stihl runs there company just like the demo's Always thinking they know whats best for the people.

Chainsaw company

Anybody know who the oldest chainsaw company still in business is???

ciscoguy01 said:
Anybody know who the oldest chainsaw company still in business is???
That would be Dolmar makers of the first chainsaw which was not portable. You had to bring the wood to it.
Followed very closely by STIHL which did make the first portable chainsaw.
STIHL is 80 years old this year.

Latest posts

Back