What makes a GOOD groundman?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man this list is getting long!

Originally posted by MasterBlaster

Mike Mass and Husky372, thanks for NOTHING!:mad:

Any groundie that follows these rules WON'T be low paid for very long.

We make valuable contributions to your little gripe thread, and you tear us down.:angry:

And as for pay, your ground b1tch going to make more than you? I don't think so...

masterblaster this is'nt the first thread where i've seen nothing but a bunch of whinning about ground help. thats why i say rule #1 treat your help well they will treat you the same. if you pay them crap thats the kind of help your going to get. becuase they are there only for a paycheck. the way i see it treat a man like a dog he's going to piss on your leg. lets see $8hr 10hr day or 12hr 10hr day thats only 40 dollars more a day:rolleyes:

Butch, you have to admit there are alot of guys out there who really do expect the groundies to do pretty much everything for practically no pay.

I agree... you get what you pay for. I start them at $10, and the more they are willing to learn, make the job go faster, etc, the more they make. If they can help me blast out a $1500 job in 4 hours, you betcha I got no sweat giving them a nice bonus. Take care of the good help, they'll take care of you.

So, I guess that's another.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster

And I don't agree that all the oral communication between climber/groundman is necessary EVERY time a groundie enters the DZ. I maintain that it is a visual thing.

I did not specify voice communincation, visual is fine,; eye contact and a nod of the head. Just make sure the climber knows your down there, or a designated ground captain says it's ok.

As the climber imporves he will be able to know that the guy in the tree is moving around and not going to drop something, The new guy may not realize I'm getting comfortable to chuck a bunch of stuff down.

like i said before this is not the first thread where you guys are complaining cant find good help. but then alls you want to do is pay them barely anything and expect them to do most of the work. lets put it this way you work a job make $1500 in 4 hours and they make $32 do you really expect them to give a rats ass about busting there ass for you, or care about your equipment. threat a man with respect i bet you will find someone who will bust his ass for you.
now i'm not saying you have to give up all your profits but if you expect a decent days work pay a decent wage. like someone else said earlier you get what you pay for. you have no problm going out and spending several hundred on a saw but you dont even want to pay the guy whos running it what the saws worth. granted you have time money and experiance tide up in your bus but if the guy can work at wal-mart or mcdonlds for the same money and not have to work as hard or get yelled at all the time where do you think there going to work.

Originally posted by Husky372
like i said ...

Who's whining?

What do you think the ground is suposed to do?

Of course the better they perform the better they should get paid.

Brush dragger is an entry level position, should they start at 15/hr? What do they get paid as they learn how to handle ropes?

Any good climber will tell you that the good grounding will make them shine.

On the other hand...

I'll gladly pay my groundie half of what I make on the job, if...

He pays half the overhead.

That means equipment purchase and repair, advertising, fuel, maintainance, insurances, taxes, etc etc etc...

you cant do your job without a groundman! and no i'm not saying they should be started out at 15hr but 8hr is basicly min wage 10-12hr i bet you will fine a better class of workers. they can get at lest that going into construction. so take it for what its worth.

you guys have (snip) . you cant read what i was saying i said i dont expect you to give up all your profit just pay a man what hes worth you'll be better off in the long run. but as far as i'm concernd its your bus do what you want.

Now Hiring

I paid a groundie $20 and hour for a few weeks last Winter, thinking that it would be an incentive to 1) show up on time 2) bring your lunch 3) work well because you're being paid well. He only lasted three weeks.

This experient failed miserably. Much better luck paying 12.50 - 15 an hour, filling groundie's gas tank on Wednesday, and buy him lunch on Friday. Bonuses for great work, positive verbal feedback, and regular incentives seem to be working, though I am very fresh, new and inexperienced at this employment game.

I like Timber McPherson's current situation. Two competent climbers acting as each other's climber / groundguy. For $25 an hour, plus insurances and medical..... Please apply within. -TM-

you are all rong

hey, maybe its not the fault of the guy on the ground, maybe its just you :laugh:

jamie

Hmmmm...

A lotta posts, but nothing to add to the list.:(

This isn't a "How much should a groundman make" thread.

Look at the list. Look for something that needs changed or expounded on.

I worked that into 14, Murphy.

It does suck that groundies make so little, but the ones that deserve the higher pay usually eventually get it.

Usually...:(

Back