what must i take a Husqvarna 272 or the 288

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramon257

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys

i have a question i think a am going to buy a bigger saw .
i have seen a 272 and a 288 but the 288 is a little bit older
so what do you think the older 288 or the 272?
i want to run a 24 inch bar

thanks

(sorry for the bad English)

288 is a classic saw. It will pull the 24 inch bar you want to run with authority. Also, there's not a saw out there that has a nicer sound than a 288:msp_biggrin:

I'd probably spring for the 288 myself, but the 272 will handle a 24'' bar. The 288 will be heavier, but I like the ''coolness'' factor of the 288 :rock:.

I've got a 272 and have run it with a 28inch full skip in dead ash. My only concern was with getting enough oil on the bar running that length. I'd expect it would pull the 24th with full comp without an issue. I would say parts are more readily available for the 272 as it's chassis is common with the 268 if you had a concern about parts.

I have a 272 and I love it!
If I were you, I would get the 272, parts are going to be around for a long time!

I'm a big fan of both those saws!!....The question I think is whether you will ever be cutting large trees?? That's when the 288 is the saw you need. Otherwise it's probably not worth packing the extra weight for power you're never going to need.

288. Love mine, though it's not much on looks anymore.:msp_smile:

I know little about these saws but ran a 288 recently and it sounded sooo frigging cool! Just sayin'... Russ

hey guys

i have a question i think a am going to buy a bigger saw .
i have seen a 272 and a 288 but the 288 is a little bit older
so what do you think the older 288 or the 272?
i want to run a 24 inch bar

thanks

(sorry for the bad English)
The 288 will be slightly heavier to carry, but if you ever need the extra power it provides over the 272 you'll sure be glad you bought it.
Don't worry about your ability to communicate in English. We have quite a few members here from Tennessee, and they are way harder to understand than yourself...........:msp_wink:

I'm a big fan of both those saws!!....The question I think is whether you will ever be cutting large trees?? That's when the 288 is the saw you need. Otherwise it's probably not worth packing the extra weight for power you're never going to need.

So are you suggesting he buy both saws? Man, I wish I had thought to tell him that..........:msp_smile:

288 is a classic saw. It will pull the 24 inch bar you want to run with authority. Also, there's not a saw out there that has a nicer sound than a 288:msp_biggrin:

+1, 288's rip... and they do sound oh so sweet!!!:blob2:

The 288 will be extra weight if all you want to run is a 24" bar. A 272 will pull and oil a 24" bar just fine. The 288 is cool and all that, but it's not needed to pull 24 inches IMO.

I cant tell ya which would better suit you. But I can say that I loves me some 272!

The 288 will be extra weight if all you want to run is a 24" bar. A 272 will pull and oil a 24" bar just fine. The 288 is cool and all that, but it's not needed to pull 24 inches IMO.

What you say is true, but the smile factor is worth it for the 288.

Latest posts

Back