what nerve.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discounthunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
a friend asked me how much wood i have cut . a said about 2 cords,but im going to be cutting up some more in a few weeks. he said he knows of a family(mom and 2 or 3 kids) who heats there home only with wood. they dont have a lot of money and were looking for firewood donations. i said i could swing a load or two of green cut or a load of mix when i go in a couple of weeks. he said no it ,they want ONLY seasoned wood as they need to start burning now.i said nope ,cant spare any.

what nerve,you wait till october to ask for seasoned only wood.and you want it free?!

Sounds like you don't have the whole story.

Possibly a spouse was ill or there was an accident or whatever and she didn't get her wood in time.

There are all kinds of reasons she could be caught short with winter approaching.

Maybe you could trade the green wood you will be cutting with someone who has truly seasoned wood and drop the seasoned wood off at her house if the situation warrants.

I've been in her place.

I know what it's like -

and a member here on AS came to my aid.

Shari

Nice of your friend to decide this family in need didn't need your mixed load! What else could you have done. They are crazy for not taking your offer.

Sounds like you don't have the whole story.

Possibly a spouse was ill or there was an accident or whatever and she didn't get her wood in time.

There are all kinds of reasons she could be caught short with winter approaching.

Maybe you could trade the green wood you will be cutting with someone who has truly seasoned wood and drop the seasoned wood off at her house if the situation warrants.

I've been in her place.

I know what it's like -

and a member here on AS came to my aid.

Shari

im sure there is. im not too heartless,i plan on cutting a load of green(im not going to delivery it,ill have my friend) it should be burnable come feb/march.

Most likely, a load of green wood won't be ready in Feb or March. Even the quickest drying woods don't dry that quick. Instead of green, can you find standing dead?

Try not to be too judgemental, as you don't know the situation. Also, you don't know if it was the friend being picky or the woman being picky and the friend may have just been looking out for these people, as burning green wood can lead to bad things happening in a chimney.

what nerve,you wait till october to ask for seasoned only wood.and you want it free?!
That's pretty typical of what we found giving away firewood. I only want seasoned oak or maple, stack it over there (with no offer of help), can you come back and cut it a couple inches shorter (after we delivered), I can help you out by taking a few more loads and on and on. And of course, everything had to be split. We finally threw up our hands and said; "no more". We give away thousands of dollars worth of tree work every year but we just said no more free firewood. Too much aggravation.
Phil

every state has financial assistance programs to help people in need to heat their homes. i'm quite sure their home has some kind of alternative heat. i find it hard to believe that in this day and age there are homes in america that do not have some kind of furnace installed other than wood........unless by choice.

i would have told that guy you'll go over and talk to the people in question and see what their (actual) needs are and make a decision from there. i'll bet as soon as you mention you'll go over there, he'd change his story.

every state has financial assistance programs to help people in need to heat their homes. i'm quite sure their home has some kind of alternative heat. i find it hard to believe that in this day and age there are homes in america that do not have some kind of furnace installed other than wood........unless by choice.

i would have told that guy you'll go over and talk to the people in question and see what their (actual) needs are and make a decision from there. i'll bet as soon as you mention you'll go over there, he'd change his story.

Also...if there is a local Ruritan club, they will donate wood too.

right now i have over 3 year supply,,i have 2 cords of 2 year seasoned oak and hickory i have tried to sell,,,was only asking 100 a cord,,and no takers,,then right after that i put an ad in about have a full 16' trailor load of elm that was ready to burn,,was already cut but not split and it was FREE just come and get it out of my way,,i hate splitting elm,,anyway within 2 hours a guy called me and it was all gone the next day,,,,i bet if i put the 2 year seasoned oak and hickory on there free it would be gone in 1 hour,,,what i am getting at is people want the work done for them and are to dang picky for something being given to them

x's 2

history tends to repeat itself...if they need it this year, they'll need it next year.

Free wood is free wood. Take what you can get, when you can get it. Next year they won't have to ask for so much!

i have 2 cords of 2 year seasoned oak and hickory i have tried to sell,,,was only asking 100 a cord,,and no takers,,

full cords, not face cords!?
you can sell a full cord of seasoned oak/hickory here for $220 easy! i see guys asking as high as $250 for oak cords, and they sell em!

Back