What oil ratio were you running when your saw blew up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What oil ratio were you using when your saw blew up

• 16:1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25:1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 32:1

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 40:1

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • 50:1

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Over 50:1

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • It never blew up & is still running

Votes: 55 85.9%

• Total voters
I liked your post even though I like my Echos a lot.

I actually love those 400's. Use them all day and they don't beat you up, fantastic control in use ands little work horse. Not fond of the people in charge at Echo.

Never have blown anything up ever running 40:1. Never... Mfgs like to sell parts and recommend 50:1. Or never blow anything up ever running 40:1. Ill stick with my mixture. Mfg can keep theres.... Ethanol free gas as well.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I remember when all there was just leaded gas and 16:1. Never had any problems with saws going out of course unleaded rolled around and still didn't have any problems, just carbon buildup. Now it's watered down gas, cheap manufactured parts and not real oil.

Steve

But you're saving the environment with your sacrifice.

In 6 years of professional work I've only lost 1 saw, a 360 that had a TON of hours (was used as a sawmill with 38" bar before I got it. It cut enough lumber to build a 2 story house). Lost a crank bearing. Race came apart at idle and locked it up.
It still lives, just put a few new parts is all.

Well... and a beautiful ported 460 that I ran over with a ~70,000lb Komastu 220LC3 stroke delimber, but that doesn't count!

I run 50:1 in all my stuff.

I run strictly 40:1. No fancy oil, just tsc store brand stuff and 93 octane. Haven't lost a small 2 stroke yet. Lost plenty of sled motors though. Always due to lean out not to oil.
IMO failures due to oil type or mix ratio are rare. No oil at all definitely happens though.

40:1 stihl brand oil out of the little containers at Fleet + Farm. They had just switched and become a Stihl dealer. I figured what could it matter? Saw did not last 5 minutes. :wtf::dumb2::dumb:

Back