What Profession is the Most Dangerous?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
I'm not intending this to be the next wack thread, but I am gravely concerned about the relatively higher number of injuries and fatalities in the climbing profession as opposed to logging.
Could it be that we hear more of injuries with the climbers than with the loggers?
John

Undoubtedly. While I think there are more tree climbers than loggers in general, the greatest factor probably has to do with the proximity to the media. A logger dies in the middle of the woods usually. A tree climber dies dangling in someone's backyard. The backyard scenario is much more convenient to make newsworthy.

Well John I thought I would reply to your question in the title. I think the most dangerous profession is U.S. astronaut. There haven't been all that many but a lot of them have been killed.
As to more climbers getting injured:
1. They are off the ground.
2. They are using a saw.
3. There are a few in every city so there are more of them than loggers.
4. I think that, like logging, it looks easy to the untrained so several want to try it.
Mike

most dangerous profession is actually ALASKAN KING CRAB FISHERMAN

No the most dangerous is the Stihl/Fish/Tech, that advertises free carb adjustment
and breast exams for the ladies

asb151 said:
I have also heard that to be true.

I saw a program on Discovery Channel called "The Most Dangerous Jobs".
The Crab fisherman was listed as most dangerous and I think Loggers were 3rd.

I think every part-time harry homeowner that falls off a ladder on the weekend cutting some limbs off the neighbors tree automatically gets thrown in the tree climber accident pool. I do not believe insurance companies look at professional status when making most dangerous job list, they just lump all tree climbing related injuries together. This does put a damper on a pro tree company ability to get insurance, since they pooled with every one that has ever been involved in a tree climbing injury, pro or not.

Is there a safety refresher course that can be implimented to lower rates by any chance?

If not; Make one and the insurance companies will almost have to back it.

Fish said:
No the most dangerous is the Stihl/Fish/Tech, that advertises free carb adjustment
and breast exams for the ladies

Fish,

How do you adjust the carb on a lady? Where is the carb found?

All this time I`ve been looking for g-spots and stuff and now you mention a carb? I give up. :dizzy:

Russ

I think it's this guy's job:

Chinese_MP-thumb.jpg

Dadatwins said:
I do not believe insurance companies look at professional status when making most dangerous job list, they just lump all tree climbing related injuries together.

Sorta like the ex-Pittsburgh Steeler roid head that dropped a tree on himself today.

when there was more logging here in Oregon, it was a weekly thing to read about loggers and fallers gettin killed one way or another, mosly crushed. now, i only read about them in the paper once in a while, maybe every other month. combo of higher saftey standards, less workers, more mechanized logging. I once read that the average life expectancy for an Northwest Logger in the 1800's was less than nine months from the start of the job!

heres an interesting write up on 96/97 logging fatalities if anyones interested

http://www.osha-slc.gov/dit/ostat/reports/logging/logging_review_part1.pdf

I feel that the logging and arborist profession goes hand in hand with the danger factor
but from what I have learned the most dangerous job in the logging industry would have to be breaking out as that involves wire cables under high tension I have heard one story about a guy who was torn in half by a cable that snapped, but as all jobs go there will always be the risk factors, BTW I heard from a lecture given by an OSH rep over here that this week alone there has been 25 severe injuries involving chainsaws that have been reported to OSH for investigation one involved an amputation.

Here's the link to the latest info on the very subject.

http://***************/treehouse/viewtopic.php?t=2215 :eek:

That was a good link Ekka, I enjoyed reading it.
This comment was very funny: I don't go anywhere bears are, except the zoo.

There goes my logging career!
MB

Did you notice the massive pay difference for the pilots though?

Fly boys are real special fellas.

Be careful out them woods. The bucket truck operator I was working with today told me how he struck a ground worker earlier in the week with a branch.

He looked before throwing and threw the branch, just as he did the groundy walked out from under the carport straight under the bucket, he yelled and the guy looked up and copped it straight in the face butt end of the branch first. In hindsight the worst thing he done was yell, had he not yelled the groundy would have copped it on the head and fortunately was wearing a helmet.

Apparently ripped his face open, bad injury!

Another danger is the ropey hanging around under the load, as bits break off or if something fails the idiot wears the load.

It's a dangerous business. How did you go with those trees you took pics off, where one was stuck in the keeper?

Back