What pruning saw do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm using an old Homelite xl-2 for pruning the lower branches of pines and poplars, and for the smaller jobs. It works fine, but I'm getting tired of being covered in sawdust when I have to do the higher branches. Is this just something I just have to put up with without going to a pole saw?

Time for a pole saw! Or make sure you are cutting upwind. A nice little top handle saw is another option.

If you're doing overhead branches a rear handle ms150 will give approximately 10" more reach than the top handle. It's also very easy to use 1 handed.

Extends to hell and gone.
14c9c5548385fe8aafae19bd21cba15e.jpg

10203869024ceebafe7ea317399a5dc3.jpg

No, you can't use it one handed. But if you have a roll around picnic table, add three feet.

I'm using an old Homelite xl-2 for pruning the lower branches of pines and poplars, and for the smaller jobs. It works fine, but I'm getting tired of being covered in sawdust when I have to do the higher branches. Is this just something I just have to put up with without going to a pole saw?
MS200T that old Homelite is not balanced.

Oleo mac gs260 and a Hitachi CS33EDT.

Alternatively Oleo Mac / Efco have brought out a new version => oleo mac gst 250 / efco mtt 2500.

http://portal.myoleomac.com/wps/portal/emakit/oleomac-en/products-news/gst-250-chainsaw
Otherwise there are a few dozen alternatives.

Personally I have two combi tools (Stihl KM85 & Hitachi CG22) both with bruschcutter, chainsaw attachment and extension. A system like that would be one of my primary choices.

And last I will add that if you donot want to buy a chainsaw extension, you can get by with just getting a circular saw blade. Works similar to this vid. And NO you donot need a large cc trimmer engine. With my 22cc Hitachi I can easily cut threw wrist thick branches. Why only wrist thick branches? Because the saw blade will not allow a larger diametre, that is were the chainsaw extension comes to play.

The last time I pruned up the branches around the casa, the only saw I had was an MS440. Worked great.

A silky zubat, a set of Marvin fg poles with a mondo blade and a 200T.

I highly recommend the fiberglass poles, small branches, less than an inch ussually come off in one pull.

Here are the xl-2's, the regular is 26cc and the super is 31. Quite a noticeable difference in power between the two, the super is louder and vibrates more as well. You can actually bury the bar in softwood on the super and it has no problems, the old reed valve engine has a lot of grunt. Don't need the extra power for pruning, though it's nice to have if you need a saw to throw on an ATV to clear trails with. Both saws are within a couple of ounces of weight of each other, so not much to choose from there. Slightly different case and muffler styles, no idea what years they would be.

I just bought a Banco 14 inch pruning blade to mount on a pole, I'd rather not chase the high branches on top of a ladder with a running saw if I can avoid it.

Attachments

• DSCF3933 (Large).jpg
    DSCF3933 (Large).jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF3935 (Large).JPG
    DSCF3935 (Large).JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 17
I have 2 XL-2s. One aluminum case and the other plastic. The plastic is lighter but not very well balanced, the other is kind of heavy. I just got one of my Power Mac 6s running. It surprised me just how light and how much power it has. Very good little saw.

Latest posts

Back