What saw would you choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best advise is from someone who has learned the hard way

The first saw I bought was a Husquvarna cost around 200
traded that one in a few years later for a Shihl for saw + 100 bucks
a few years later traded that saw and 100 bucks for a MS250 I had that saw for 4 years and traded it off and 300 bucks for a MS 260Pro

Moral I paid 700 bucks for a saw I could have just went a bought for 500 bucks.

Bite the bullet now and get the 260 pro It is the best saw I have used and after you spend the money on a great saw you will never think about what it cost again.

My $0.02

Gave the guy a call on the 372xp husky and we are gonna meet tomorow. There is still the Jonsered 2095 turbo on CL. The 372xp is 13lbs without bar and chain. The jonsered is 15 or so without bar and chain. There will probably be about a 2lb difference even if I put 24" bars on both. Is 2lbs going to be that noticable in weight?

The guy wants $450 for the 372xp like I said and the other guy wants the same for his jonsered. Jonsered weighs 2lbs more but is also 93cc instead.

Lol, a dilemma, again...

Gave the guy a call on the 372xp husky and we are gonna meet tomorow. There is still the Jonsered 2095 turbo on CL. The 372xp is 13lbs without bar and chain. The jonsered is 15 or so without bar and chain. There will probably be about a 2lb difference even if I put 24" bars on both. Is 2lbs going to be that noticable in weight?

The guy wants $450 for the 372xp like I said and the other guy wants the same for his jonsered. Jonsered weighs 2lbs more but is also 93cc instead.

Lol, a dilemma, again...

2 lbs is a lot. Doesn't sound like much, but you will definitely know the diff between 13 and 15 after a couple hours.

The 357xp is a great middle saw tons of jam for a little guy and good for in the tree work too! I have one and use it almost exclusively. I have found over the years that the smallest saw that delivers the goods is easiest on the bod. The biggest thing is the sharpen would you guys not agree?

Well, you all have convinced me! I shall pursue the 372xp! Father in law also said it would be a better all around saw for my tasks. If its got a 20" bar that will handle a 40" tree. Which is well within range of my criteria.

The jonsered guy was kind of a crabby guy anyways and di not really want to go out of his way to let me see it. He said it was practically brand new though. Hopefully the 372xp is not worn down and the guy is not lying to me about if being in great condition...

I'm used to an old mcCulloch, so anything higher is better. Sharp chain is a perk, yes. My question is if parts are easy to come by.

How much would you guys offer? Does not come with any extras from the ad says. So I assume it will be just the saw with bar and chain...

For compression, I just pull te pull chord and if it does not have alot of resistance pulling or if it does not start on the first 2 pulls I will deem it no good.

Sounds like father in law gave you some pretty sound advice. Hope the 372 is in good condition, it will bring a smile to you when you are cutting. I've read posts from guys who have bought an extra one and left it in the box so they will have it later in life. That in itself is a great testament to what many think of the 372. Like many on AS, I look for reasons to use my 372. :biggrinbounce2:

Let us know if you get it and then your first impression running it.

How much would you guys offer? Does not come with any extras from the ad says. So I assume it will be just the saw with bar and chain...

For compression, I just pull te pull chord and if it does not have alot of resistance pulling or if it does not start on the first 2 pulls I will deem it no good.

Offer $400. if it's in good shape. Less if it's got any issues, such as a bad bar or chain. It could be worth $450. though.

I'd check the spark plug to see how it's been running. Maybe even pop the exhaust of and take a look at the piston and cylinder ( he may not like that idea).

Yea, I may try and offer $400. Just pull it out and say crap, I brought 450 but I guess I didnt get the other 50...

Cash talks, and I bet if he see 4 large he wont lose sleep over $50...

Yea, I will see about running it. I doubt he will be willing to do the whole tear it aprt and look at it thing. A new jug and piston should not be that much rigt? I admit, it would not be the funnest thing to buy a saw and then pay more to fix it...

I'm pumped about getting it, lol. I will be sure to get you all some pictures of it maybe even running. Won't be able to show ya cutting on something till I travel back home...

Oem piston and cylinder are $250 or so. A big bore kit is $130 from Baileys. You could pull the spark plug and shine a light down into the cylinder and see if there's any scoring on the cylinder wall.

Guys, whats you opinion on this? The guy who has this 372xp saw is an arborist. Do you think that because he is an arborist the saw will have been used alot?

The Jonsered saw guy talked about loggers using their saws and when they finally pitter putter out they sell them. I'm hoping this is not the case and its a lemon...

Guys, whats you opinion on this? The guy who has this 372xp saw is an arborist. Do you think that because he is an arborist the saw will have been used alot?

The Jonsered saw guy talked about loggers using their saws and when they finally pitter putter out they sell them. I'm hoping this is not the case and its a lemon...

Could be. I'd check it out anyway, but check it out good. He may be selling because he needs money, or because it's half shot.

If it's not in good shape, just keep looking. There's more saws out there.

I don't get it... Everyone puts an ad on CL to sell their saws and every freaking single ad I respond to, they either respond to me once and then quit after or they don't respond at all!

I called the guy with the 372xp and left a message. His voicemail inbox is how I found out he was an arborist. I called him again about an hour or so after I left a voicemail and he did not pick up. Still have not received a call from him.

I do not get it, does everyone who as an ad on CL to sell their saws wanna sell me a freakin' saw or what?!

Makes me feel like buyin the Jonsered. Well, that is if te guy wants to pick up his phone too...

Latest posts

Back