What saws do you use for general ground work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose IBEW

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need a good saw for general ground work and chipper prep. I have a 12" chipper but it still requires a good deal of branch preparation. I guess I can drop bigger branches than my chipper can handle and a new chipper isn't in the equation right now.

I am sure most operations have some saws for the groundies, what are they and what would be on the groundies wish list? I have my top handle and a 70cc/24" bar saw that I use for most falling work. I need a couple of in between saws. I will divulge what I have in mind in a bit but want a clean slate for recommendations to start with, lets hear 'em.......

We use the cheapest throw-away saws we can find, they are consumables like oil and gas, usually they turn out much better saws than you ever dream they will. We have had them last months, occasionally, minutes and usually not a bad saw but an operator error, run over, dropped on in the fall zone, left at the last job last Friday, every thing you can imagine and then some. You will quickly have a collection of parts and can build a saw from parts if you standardize them. I can go to the non-runner pile and get a complete running usable saw in under an hour and never buy a single part.

we keep a cheap top handle echo by the chipper for the ground guys to use and destroy. Lately they've latched on to the new stihl 150. I prefer a bigger saw for must ground work, like a husky 272xp, great saw. I use my old stihls 028 and 038 mag. a lot too, but their heavy compared to the husky

MS 290/1. Husky 455. Pro saws will last better in pros hands, but they are not more resistant to being lost, crushed, or straight gassed

I like to have my 019 at the chipper. My boys can run all saws and know to care for them like a baby, so I have no issues with them running any of my saws. Just not up in the tree. That little Echo Cs 400 is a good saw for brush and small wood.

A 192t and on occasion a 310. If I am cutting from the bucket, a lot of times I cut the piece so the will go right in the chipper. It only takes a few more seconds.

I try to keep multiples of each saw that we have for the same reasons as above. Having multiples makes diagnosing problems really simple, and as said already, you can recycle the older saws. I would never hire a groundie I couldn't trust with a saw, so I buy quality saws. We usually carry about a dozen saws in the truck, and they're all good runners, all sharpened each night and ready to start work in the morning. It's usually a few 200T's, a few 346 XP's, a few 441CRM's, a couple 660's and a pole saw or two. We never sharpen on the site, it's a waste of time and labor. I do carry spare chains. I figure if you blunt a dozen saws, twice, it's time to go home.

The 346 is a brilliant limbing saw. It's quick, light, powerful and handles nicely. I used to run 026 pros, never liked the 260 or 261 but after trying the 346 I was converted. Very zippy, and fantastic in our hardwoods. Nmurph does them refurbed for a good price, and I'd take a used refurb 346 over a new trash saw any day. If you're short on cash the husky 340e is actually not a bad ground saw either.

Shaun

Well, the cheap Echo top handle is my in tree saw right now. Guess this could be an excuse for a new 201T but that may not be the most wise move. I was using a $100 had for 10 years super XL and it bit the dust the other day. That leaves me with my 20 year old Craftsman/Poulan 3.3 cube unit. It works, its rather light but I know its on borrowed time. I also borrowed 2 MS180's to see how I like them, they are great for the limb work but really small overall.

I have never owned a Stihl or a Husky so I would like to get into some better saws for the long run. My ground guy is as capable as myself at fixing and using a saw so that is less of a concern. The XP550 really catches my attention solely on the compactness, light weight and way it feels in my hands. The MS261 looks great as well but I don't really know much about either. I looked at the Echo CS400-450 and 500 and they seem nice too but not top end pro grade, I can afford 2 of them to one Stihl or Husky though. My ground guy is saying that 50cc is too big for chipper prep but the new saws are so light compared to what I'm used to that Im leaning towards something bigger to multi task.

In the past I've left the groundies with a 260 / 290 / 200. The 290 was ok, but heavy for what it was, the 260 was unreliable and slightly lacking in power, and the 200 they were just flat out killing. Bought a 362 that is only for on the ground chipper use, and they like it a lot. Goes right through anything I put in front of them, so they don't have to switch out in order to cut logs in half or whatever.

I need a good saw for general ground work and chipper prep. I have a 12" chipper but it still requires a good deal of branch preparation. I guess I can drop bigger branches than my chipper can handle and a new chipper isn't in the equation right now.

I am sure most operations have some saws for the groundies, what are they and what would be on the groundies wish list? I have my top handle and a 70cc/24" bar saw that I use for most falling work. I need a couple of in between saws. I will divulge what I have in mind in a bit but want a clean slate for recommendations to start with, lets hear 'em.......

I love the smaller 361s but they may be discontinued , but the midrange 300's are nice , they can run up to a 25" to so you can handle bigger stuff with a lighter saw . Look out on interweb for the NJ forestry hand tool auctions they sell all there saws every few years , I bought 8 saws for 1000.00 , granted some were missing parts and not running but for a grand I got 5 good saws and alot parts ....

Last edited:
Well, the cheap Echo top handle is my in tree saw right now. Guess this could be an excuse for a new 201T but that may not be the most wise move. I was using a $100 had for 10 years super XL and it bit the dust the other day. That leaves me with my 20 year old Craftsman/Poulan 3.3 cube unit. It works, its rather light but I know its on borrowed time. I also borrowed 2 MS180's to see how I like them, they are great for the limb work but really small overall.

No offense mate, but if you're posting in the commercial tree care forum and your 3 saws are a cheap top handle, and a 10 and 20 year old low grade saw respectively, you need to put your prices up or move to another trade.

Shaun

No offense mate, but if you're posting in the commercial tree care forum and your 3 saws are a cheap top handle, and a 10 and 20 year old low grade saw respectively, you need to put your prices up or move to another trade.

Shaun

Everybody has a different story. I am divorced and give up $772 a week to child support and alimony. I started out with what I had on hand and am working towards better equipment. I know I have junk but am not going to lie about it just to fit in. I am ready to buy a pro grade saw for a specific application and wanted information from the pros themselves. I rarely ask for much as I know I am not on the same level as most here.

Everybody has a different story. I am divorced and give up $772 a week to child support and alimony. I started out with what I had on hand and am working towards better equipment. I know I have junk but am not going to lie about it just to fit in. I am ready to buy a pro grade saw for a specific application and wanted information from the pros themselves. I rarely ask for much as I know I am not on the same level as most here.

I am in Camden county , glendora to be exact if you need any help with #### let me know , just PM I can do what I can do to help

Earthquake Saws

I'm thinking about one of these as a cheap ground saw - $160.00 + 25.00 for 2year warranty - but I have to buy it online.
Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks.

I have never owned a Stihl or a Husky so I would like to get into some better saws for the long run. My ground guy is as capable as myself at fixing and using a saw so that is less of a concern. The XP550 really catches my attention solely on the compactness, light weight and way it feels in my hands. The MS261 looks great as well but I don't really know much about either. I looked at the Echo CS400-450 and 500 and they seem nice too but not top end pro grade, I can afford 2 of them to one Stihl or Husky though. My ground guy is saying that 50cc is too big for chipper prep but the new saws are so light compared to what I'm used to that Im leaning towards something bigger to multi task.

I have been tossing the idea around about getting rid of my stihl 361 with 18" bar. I paid $250 for it.

I may be the lone fan of my ms260 around AS. This is in my garage and not my boss' so it doesn't get run like a company saw but I still put tons of hours every fall gathering firewood for the winter. It's been plenty reliable and has good power FOR WHAT IT IS! I find it to be much lighter than the 310 size way more balls than 230. Oh, about the 230, we just got one at work and me no likey! just as heavy as my 260, but goes slower with a 16" bar than my 260 runs with a 20".

Back