What saws do you use for general ground work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be the lone fan of my ms260 around AS. This is in my garage and not my boss' so it doesn't get run like a company saw but I still put tons of hours every fall gathering firewood for the winter. It's been plenty reliable and has good power FOR WHAT IT IS! I find it to be much lighter than the 310 size way more balls than 230. Oh, about the 230, we just got one at work and me no likey! just as heavy as my 260, but goes slower with a 16" bar than my 260 runs with a 20".

Love my 026, just about my favorite saw to grab on the ground until the wood gets bigger.

Love my 026, just about my favorite saw to grab on the ground until the wood gets bigger.

026 also.

Of the 4 Stihls currently in my work box[391,290,261,026] I work with the 026 the most. The 290 is for dirty stumps.

Everybody has a different story. I am divorced and give up $772 a week to child support and alimony. I started out with what I had on hand and am working towards better equipment. I know I have junk but am not going to lie about it just to fit in. I am ready to buy a pro grade saw for a specific application and wanted information from the pros themselves. I rarely ask for much as I know I am not on the same level as most here.

I may get the boot for posting in here as I don't cut big time commercially, maybe three or so trees a week. Don't be ashamed of your equipment. I have big time respect for you and your honesty and your situation. I have a top handle Echo that I love. Its been ported but I loved it the same before that. I have done my best to kill it but it just keeps on going. I have a 200T as well that gets left behind a lot. Are you any good at working on saws?

Yep I got my 026 slightly modded earlier in the year and man what a saw now! Sounds awesome, cuts with good power! Just bought a new 550xp, gonna give er with it this week also! My 562 has been an amazing saw also! I still have my original 365 special I bought in 97 and its a powerhouse also! Cut down a lot of trees with that saw and still gets used daily, it's in my chip truck and always ready for action!

We love our 026 it is usually the ground saw. Also, the 261 is a crew favorite! We find it powerful enough with a 16" bar that I see no need for a 361 size saw. By the time it is too big for the 261 grab the 460.

Everybody has a different story. I am divorced and give up $772 a week to child support and alimony. I started out with what I had on hand and am working towards better equipment. I know I have junk but am not going to lie about it just to fit in. I am ready to buy a pro grade saw for a specific application and wanted information from the pros themselves. I rarely ask for much as I know I am not on the same level as most here.

It was intended as a beat down, just simple straight forward advice. If you aren't making enough to cover your gear etc, then put your prices up, or consider another trade. Have a read of this;

http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/211473.htm

Also, snap that 361 up if you've got the funds.

I'm not afraid of working on saws, I muffler modded the 360T and adjusted the jets, runs much nicer now, they come really lean with the limiters on the carb. I have replaced anti vibe mounts, carb boots, fuel lines, cleaned carbs and such. I am not afraid of pulling cylinders apart, just haven't had a saw worth putting that kind of effort into.

I may very well look I to the 361 this week and plan to find an 026 as my next two saws.

Raising my prices is very good advice and taken with gratitude, learning how to estimate is as difficult as any part of the industry for me. I aslo am putting money into some ads, probably a local community paper and possibly mail flyers. I'm not too keen on door knocking, been reading posts in the buisness section as well.

Thanks again for the replies here, I am grateful to have such quality advice.:cheers::chainsawguy:

Hmm

Smaller Groundsaws: If you like Husqvarna then for you want a 346xp which has now changed to the 550xp. If you like Stihl the equivalent is a 260. These saws will have smaller(.325) chain. They are not really fast enough for efficiency on logs and in my opinion maximum 18" bar on either brand.

Combination Groundsaw: A good combination groundsaw for limbs and logs would be a Husqvarna 562xp which will run a 20" bar and larger (3/8") chain. If you want Stihl the equivalent would be a 362.. Either of these will run a 24" bar but it will not run it as fast as it will a 20". Once again a little slow on logs. I have both and the 562xp is a little stronger than the 362.

Bigger Groundsaws: For logs Husqvarna smallest to largest 372xp, 576xp, 385xp, or 395xp.
If you like Stihl the equivalents would be 441, 460, 660.
The 660 Stihl is closely matched with the Husqvarna 395xp and either of these is my preference for bigger saws. If you are going to have a little heavier saw you might as well have one that can handle it all. Do not hand the 395 or 660 to just any ground guy.
Hand it to them and if they don't know how to crank it, sharpen it, or file it properly then they are not allowed to use it.....
All of these saws will run a variety of bars but the common choice where I am from is either a 24" bar or a 28" bar. Once again longer the bar, usually the slower the cutting speed.

Uber Groundsaws: Not practical for most situations depending on where you live and they usually spend more time in the truck than on the job. Heavy and bulky. These would be the Stihl 880 and the Husqvarna 3120xp.

It is my opinion that the Stihl's are more reliable (crank the same every time) and the Husqvarna's are a little more touchy when cold. Meaning you may have to pull the Husky a few more times occasionally.
That being said I mainly use Husqvarna now simply because I like the local Husqvarna dealer much better than the Stihl one.

For a sm. brush/chipper saw, it's hard to beat a 260 Pro w/ 18" .325 on it! Ours is ALWAYS right there until the wood gets too big.

Found a few
8ebu4aru.jpg
tu2any7a.jpg
y7a7a9en.jpg

If you're going to get a 026 I would skip the 361 and go to the next bigger like somebody up there said. Love that size too but if you're only going to have a couple saws they're too close in size to warrant having both.
I talked my dad into buying a 036 about 10-15 years ago as he lives out in the country and needs a little bigger saw sometimes. Helped him take down some trees a couple weeks ago and that thing rips like a brand new beast of a saw still. Way more power than mine that's about the same vintage that I brought with me.

my ms170 12" .050 adj carb + muff mod feeds the chipper, if the wood is too big then it's logs anyway. It is perfect for the job, maybe would've preferred a 180 but the 170 was far cheaper on sale new and has impressed me by not dying yet and it cuts well. It gets treated like it's hated but keeps going strong. Otherwise its the usual suspects of 200T, 346, 261, 361 then 288, 660, 395 and 088. There's a ms230 too but nobody likes that at all, a gutless piece of crap with no upsides

Just won a MS260 off fleabay for $175. Local pick up and 14 day guarantee. Still waiting to hear the details on the 361.
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380321887196.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380321887196.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 24
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380321905258.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380321905258.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 27
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380321921544.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380321921544.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 21
For me I am running all Stihls and love everyone of them, my thoughts are this for me, if i am going to buy chain in rolls, why buy more sizes than need too? So for me I stick with the one size chain for my 020's and stick saw.. Then One size for the 361, 441 and 660 all same size chain and files! I keep it simple with less to buy, bars are interchangeable if you want as well. I only let the ground guys use the 361 and teach them all i can until they step up, but i am real anil when it comes to letting anyone use my 441 or 660. just not happening. :msp_sneaky:

I cleaned up the 20" bar that came with the saw and bought a new chain. The biggest fault I could find is a cracked side cover and a .050 chain on a .0625 bar. I cleaned the air filter, inspected the clutch, put some grease on the clutch drum bearing and put it back together with the new chain.

The saw starts, idles, runs and cuts very well. One pull restarts every time. When this chain wears out I'm getting a new sprocket, two loops of chain and a bar, 16". The 20" makes the saw a bit nose heavy and it really doesn't pull it with authority when buried.

Now I need some more of 'em, I like the idea of standardizing the arsenal.

Back