What Stihl saw to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thechap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new Stihl saw for firewood cutting. I already have two Husky's for cutting the trees down, I just need a lighter saw for cutting the stuff up. The heavier saws are killing my back!! Any help on a new Stihl and the going prices would be a great help. By the way, this is a great site!! By the way, I don't want the throw aways, I want what the Pro's use.

I see you are from PA... what size & type wood do you normally cut?

I'm assuming that you would keep the heavier (bigger cc) saws on hand for big or hard wood, and be mostly using the new saw on smaller wood?

From 8" to 15" hardwood I love my 361 with 16" b/c... If I had a chore with much smaller or larger than that and I go to my smaller or larger saws. I am one saw shy of my ideal three saw plan: MS200 35cc 14" b/c, MS361 59cc 16"-20" b/c, MS460 76cc 20"+ b/c. I have some others that overlap/duplicate, but those would be (or are) my 'go-to' saws.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I am looking to purchase a new Stihl saw for firewood cutting. I already have two Husky's for cutting the trees down, I just need a lighter saw for cutting the stuff up. The heavier saws are killing my back!! Any help on a new Stihl and the going prices would be a great help. By the way, this is a great site!! By the way, I don't want the throw aways, I want what the Pro's use.

Since you already have husky's, why not stick with them? Get a NE346xp

Last edited:
What saw to buy

I mostly (99%) cut white and red oak. I'm just looking for a lighter saw to limb and cut into firewood pieces. The bigger pieces I will use the Husky's. I am only cutting for my own use, and not for resale. I just want something that is going to last.

Bryan

Which Husky do you have now? Just trying to get an idea of what you consider to be too heavy...

I have to agree with the others, since you already have Huskys, it's probably a good idea to stay with the same brand.

Without knowing what saws you currently have, I'd also suggest the 346xp. If you are hell bent on going with Stihl, check out the 260. The 361 is more powerful, but heavier. Dolmar make a nice little saw as well that would also save you some money (the 5100). All of these saws are highly regarded pro level saws.

Original poster specified he wanted a Stihl three times (including the title) in a short post.

It would be helpful to know what his heavy Husqvarnas are, so at least you could suggest a smaller saw than what he has.

What Stihl saw to buy

The two Husky's that I have now is a Husky 51 and a Husky 455 Rancher. Thanks for the help!!

Bryan

BOTI,

Wow! That came outta left field. Where in the h e double hockey stick did you come up with an idea like that?

Confused,

Joat

It's just something I jokingly say to customers when they don't know which saw to buy. "Well if you buy one of each, you'll always have the right saw for the job."

I agree MS200 Rear Handle would be a good choice.

Last edited:
The two Husky's that I have now is a Husky 51 and a Husky 455 Rancher. Thanks for the help!!

Bryan

Those aren't really what most folks would consider to be really heavy saws, so you're obviously looking for a really light weight saw.

If it has to be a Stihl (???), look into the 200 and the 260. Keep in mind the 200 is big $$$.

TheChap,
Lacking the $$ for the MS200R, I bought a MS180 and am very happy with it for now. I also have a NE346XP that I have not gotten to use yet but suspect I will be very happy with it :)

2Door

180 is about as light as it gets, but not much guts to it. I like mine. From what i hear the little dolmars are nice, but if ya want a stihl and are not expecting a pro saw the 180 would fit the bill. $200 new

I cut a cord of hedge yesterday with my MS180. The largest was 12 inches. I was surprised by how well it did. Never even started the bigger saws, they just watched from the truck.

Back