What Stihl saw to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro saws: Husky New Edition 346XP but they are spendy. Or a Dolmar 5100s, but there are few dealers and you need to de-tune them for US gas. Or a Stihl MS260, or an MS361. Personally I prefer the 361 for its AV and relative light weight and good power. Great firewood saw. While the 260 is good, for $100 more than a 260 PRO you can get a far better 361.

If you want a 60cc saw, look at the 361.
If you want a 50cc saw, look at the NE346XP or the Dolmar 5100s, or the 260 if you want a Stihl.

The original poster specifically asked for pro saw recommendations.

(I'm thinking MS260...)

just a gut feeling from what saws they listed they already had, I really don't think they will be wanting to spend what it takes to get a little pro saw(stihl that is). ie ms200 ms260pro or ms361... :monkey:

I checked, and saw on this site that the 51 is 11.4 pounds and 51cc....

Given that info, the 7.7 lb MS200 rear-handle is the only Stihl that really satisfies the OP's criteria.

Last edited:
I checked, and saw on this site that the 51 is 11.4 pounds and 51cc....

Given that info, the 7.7 lb MS200 rear-handle is the only Stihl that really satisfies the OP's criteria.

Yup that's what I said many moons ago. Although I don't know why anyone would complain about the weight of a Husky 51, try running a 394 for a day of cutting.

Are you sure ??

I am looking to purchase a new Stihl saw for firewood cutting. I already have two Husky's for cutting the trees down, I just need a lighter saw for cutting the stuff up. The heavier saws are killing my back!! Any help on a new Stihl and the going prices would be a great help. By the way, this is a great site!! By the way, I don't want the throw aways, I want what the Pro's use.

The Chap -

I actually read your criteria! The Husky's you have aren't heavy weight saws.
But, based on your spec's the STIHL MS200T Rear Handle is the only model that fits the bill. Sugg. List price in InterMountain STIHL region is $629.00.
That's why I titled it, "Are you sure"....
Next "Pro Saw" size-wize in the STIHL model line up is the MS260 [reg. or Pro]
The MS260 Pro has a decomp valve & an adjustable oiler that the reg 260 does not have. But a 260 is as heavy or heavier than what you have now--
and they "killing my back"!

General >>> One of the biggest assets/differences a Pro Saw has vs. a consumer saw is MAGNESIUM Engine Cases. Magnesium costs a bunch more than plastic--always will.

The MS200T has a legion of well wishers on this site. It is light, responsive,
and durable -- holds it's value well.
Question is, will your wallet like it OK....
They can be bought for a bit less.

You were specific in your needs/wants. This is the answer to your equation.
Good Luck.

What saw?

Well, I went out and bought me a Stihl MS250 and I really like it! We cut a cord this afternoon consisting of red and white oak and it did a real nice job. The dealer sold it to me for $319.00 He wouldn't budge on the price but he did throw in two small containers of oil, a "Stihl" hat, and a free chain. So what do ya think? Did I do all right for my first Stihl?

Well, I went out and bought me a Stihl MS250 and I really like it! We cut a cord this afternoon consisting of red and white oak and it did a real nice job. The dealer sold it to me for $319.00 He wouldn't budge on the price but he did throw in two small containers of oil, a "Stihl" hat, and a free chain. So what do ya think? Did I do all right for my first Stihl?

Good on ya, good to hear you already put it to use.

Well you didn't get a pro saw, I have a 250 and like mine too but they are not considered a pro saw. They have the orange handle the pro ones are white. You will like the 250 it will limb all day and not weigh you down. It also has more power than i thought it would.

Which Stihl Pro saw.

The one that comes to mind, that covers the bases you mentioned would be the Stihl MS361.

-Mitch

Preferably Husky 339xp - better saw than the relic MS200.....

Now, now, now Mr. T. , some relics work fine, are reliable, and do the job year after year. Let's talk about say, the Stihl 009L for example. Or, the hated MS260: a "relic" huh ? How dare you insult Stihl ? I'm SHOCKED.....SHOCKED !!! :buttkick: :buttkick: :monkey:
You will be banned.:dizzy:

Your new ms250

Well, I went out and bought me a Stihl MS250 and I really like it! We cut a cord this afternoon consisting of red and white oak and it did a real nice job. So what do ya think? Did I do all right for my first Stihl?

Hi TheChap,
Sure I'm biased, but I think you made a good choice w/ your ms250. It's not a 'pro' saw, as you originally specified, but that just means you don't have magnesium housing in certain places and the easy tear-down/servicability that becomes important on a heavy use, high-hours saw; irrelavent to most users. You still have a solid, well engineered, reliable machine.

Below is a posting I made recently to someone who had similar criteria to yours:
-----
In defense of the ms250/025, particularly for those who are concerned about this saw's weight relative to its usefulness, it's a wonderfully wieldy saw that fires up reliably and happily takes on a variety of cuts. While I still plan to own a 361, the more I use my 025 the more I love it for its versatility. Even as I give in to Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder I am certain this will remain my "go-to" saw.
The 025 just has great mojo; the right power-to-weight-to-cost rato. With an hour of exhaust tuning plus proper maintenance, one should be very pleased w/ the work it'll enthusiastically accomplish.

To speak analogously as a motorcyclist, I find the bike that's ridden the most is not the biggest & coolest, but the lighter, simpler one that's easy to pull out, hop on, and go. My rich friends w/ a fleet of bikes note the same phenomenon.

On an enthusiast discussion forum there will always be the tendancy to encourage a buyer to go for "bigger, badder, faster, more" but my advice to a prospective buyer is to not fear choosing a smaller, lighter, sensible saw that fits them well. Better to own a saw you can enjoy frequently using than having a big, low-hour garage queen you eventually give to your kids or sell too cheap.
-------

Enjoy it!

-Eric.

Last edited:
Cudos !

Hi TheChap,
Sure I'm biased, but I think you made a good choice w/ your ms250. It's not a 'pro' saw, as you originally specified, but that just means you don't have magnesium housing in certain places and the easy tear-down/servicability that becomes important on a heavy use, high-hours saw; irrelavent to most users. You still have a solid, well engineered, reliable machine.

Below is a posting I made recently to someone who had similar criteria to yours:
-----
In defense of the ms250/025, particularly for those who are concerned about this saw's weight relative to its usefulness, it's a wonderfully wieldy saw that fires up reliably and happily takes on a variety of cuts. While I still plan to own a 361, the more I use my 025 the more I love it for its versatility. Even as I give in to Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder I am certain this will remain my "go-to" saw.
The 025 just has great mojo; the right power-to-weight-to-cost rato. With an hour of exhaust tuning plus proper maintenance, one should be very pleased w/ the work it'll enthusiastically accomplish.

To speak analogously as a motorcyclist, I find the bike that's ridden the most is not the biggest & coolest, but the lighter, simpler one that's easy to pull out, hop on, and go. My rich friends w/ a fleet of bikes note the same phenomenon.

On an enthusiast discussion forum there will always be the tendancy to encourage a buyer to go for "bigger, badder, faster, more" but my advice to a prospective buyer is to not fear choosing a smaller, lighter, sensible saw that fits them well. Better to own a saw you can enjoy frequently using than having a big, low-hour garage queen you eventually give to your kids or sell too cheap.
-------

Enjoy it!

-Eric.

-- true more often than not. Very well said!

Latest posts

Back