What the ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have sold on eBay and Craig’s for 20 + years. Not too much trouble with folks other than minor skirmishes with eBay and the revolving rules. Have used FB once or twice. Don’t like it much. Been scammed on FB but got my money back thru PayPal. I keep a record of buy and sell and report it but the new IRS reporting is a bit whacked. I don’t know what I paid for some things 20 -40 plus years ago for personal use. Any sales over 600 on eBay will get some kind of 1099. I sell a 5000 stereo unit and make 300 on it and now I have to clear all that shite up in an audit? Have sold a few vehicles and farm implements for friends that know I do it but mostly sell musical instruments and such that I find at auctions. You just have to use some common sense and keep your eyes open. Most people are still honest and the rest are easily spotted most times.

Took a bunch of farm toys , wife’s collectibles, heirlooms to an auction. Auction took 35 % and now I should give the IRS another 20 % or whatever. I don’t have a clue what my basis is in any of that stuff.

I tried to sell a chainsaw on facebook. Two replies immediately. They both want to send a six digit code for me to respond. I have never had to do that before. What is this? If it is a scam how does a code get them anything? They claim it is to verify I am a real person.

If selling something online, you get response/request/inquiries that trigger some kind of subconscious alarm- then your first suspicions are usually correct- block that "buyer" and report them to Facebook Marketplace admin.
Only respond to the messages that ask genuine sensible questions pertaining to the item being sold- or to the ones that say "yep, I will take it!".

I have refused to ever even USE Farcebook. It is an organ of the criminal, the Evil, and the Government(propaganda, tracking, self incrimination). If you use that you may as well open up your bank account and expect loss of liberty & freedom.

Sold and bought LOTS of stuff on Ebay with no real problem. Same for Craig's List.
As long as you insist on Craig's List buyers to SHOW UP physically and work with folks on Ebay who have high ratings and lots of transactions, they work as well or better than old-time Classified Ads.
Well said. I've never had Facebook, Insta, Twitter, etc and never will. This forum is as close to social media as I'll ever get.

Back