What type of premix oil are you using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of premix oil are you using in your saws?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Molecule said:
Like the Amsol warning, all of the oils say something to the effect : "DANGER: harmful or fatal if swallowed. Contains synthetic lubricant and petroleum distillates. If swallowed do not induce vomiting. Contact a physician immediately. Keep away from fire, heat and open flame. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid frequent or prolonged skin contact. Flush eyes with water for 15 minutes in case of contact. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN."

Has anyone seen any reports to the effect that during combustion the apparently poisonous oil, is changed into non-poisonous fumes?

The same is applicable to all oils, be it printed on the label or not, which is why poison control centers and childrens hospitals have listing for such products.

Last edited:
mobile mx2t.. a lot of us paid attention to mr walker.. glad i did .. it just gives me a better better feelin when im asking my modifieds for the max.. at least ive done the best i can by my saw..
still have some husky ,that would get used with no fear ,if i didnt have the mx2t..

Opti-2

Been using Opti-2 in my better equipment for some time now. Probably been using Interlube product for about 17 years. I mix at a 40-1 rate though, as I am uncomfortable using a 100-1 ratio. On a little WeedEater line trimmer and a couple of Poulan saws, I have been using a mixture of less expensive oils at...16-1. No problems associated with that, yet. When I start breaking in my Makita DCS520i (coming soon). I may use up some bottles of Shindaiwa oil that I have around, mixing 32-1 or 40-1. When I am out of that I am thinking of using the Opti-2 until it's gone and then using MX2T, in every thing. Going to use up the petroleum based then switch to the synthetic. What should I do with the el cheapo oils like Otasco? Pour them into my truck's full tank of gas for upper cylinder lubrication?

Last edited:
I just recently switched to Amsoil 100-1 at 100-1 ration in all my 2 cycle toys (tools). So far no problems. Three saws are like new and one has a new ring in it. Time will tell if it works like they say it does.

Hi,

I use Stihl "HT Plus Bio" (Fully Synthetic) at 3%. Seems that Stihl is replacing it with the semi-synthetic "HP Super" for some strange reason here in Germany.

Talk about a step backwards....

Anyway if I can't get the HT Plus Bio then I use Castrol RS 2T or a Ester based Synthetic from Motul instead, all at 3% mix.

That is of course if I don't have the cash left over for Aspen (which I also boost up to a 3% mix with a little added oil).

Bye

Maxima K2 synthetic .. why well because it was recomended by my saw builder and others I have spoke with like it as well.. No problems to date.

LAter Rob

Ditto what Slipknot said.
We have never had an oil caused problem.
The problem with full synthetic is that it falls out of suspension fast, so you need to shake the mix up each time you fill the saw, and full synthetic is also a lousey rust inhibitor, so when you store your saw, you'll want to run some dinosaur oil through. Or you could just run factory recommended oil!

I am one of those guys that used whatever oil was on sale at the hardware store. I run 32:1 on everything I have and have never had any trouble. I found a real good deal on Briggs & Stratton oil, so now I have a bunch of that.
I must also state that I am a weekend warrior when it comes to cutting wood.

Oh really?

"Has anyone seen any reports to the effect that during combustion the apparently poisonous oil, is changed into non-poisonous fumes?"

Oh yes! I am sure that my saw running a mix of French perfume and Vodka with a little MX2T is running really clean, and it smells great!

Other than :sucks: I have been running the Baileys oil for awhile now.

-Pat

I just run 50:1; 40:1 or less when milling. Stihl "high performance" which is the original old orange bottle oil. Why? 'cos I get it cheap... Never a problem. Occasionally I use the Stihl "Low Smoke" semi synthetic, same ratios.

Way too much time spent on AS about which is the perfect oil... How many saws have members toasted when using the [insert husky, stihl, whatever]recommend oils and mixes?

Premix

I run the Stihl oil but mix it with 100LL fuel. I run Av Gas in all my 2 cycle equipment. A much cleaner fuel, things start much easier, and storage is not an issue. No issues with detonation and a bit of lead cannot hurt the lubrication.

Bob

Latest posts

Back