What type of premix oil are you using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of premix oil are you using in your saws?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use a name brand, Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Stamix, etc...

Because they work fine, and see no real need to get anal about such
trivial concerns. Saw failures are caused by dirt ingestion, lean seizures,etc..
Type of mix, octane{for regular to premium in the U.S.}, plug brands,
synthetic vs. dino, and so on, really make for lively discussion, but in reality
have little to do with saw longevity generally. In high performance applications there might be room for arguement.
As far as the chemistry behind the brands I use, I have no idea, as it is
not needed to know.
But this will likely be a long thread, full of rythmic swells of passion.

I tend to like the Mobil MX2T full synthetic oil. havent had a problem yet, so I dont think theres a need to switch to another brand/type of oil.

Stihl, because I have invested in thier saws and they have every reason to sell the right oil and correct ratio. I cant inmagine there is enough profit in oil to justify them selling anything else, same as Husky or any other quality manf. Back when Macs were my primary saws I ran their oil for the same reasons. The S.O.B. saws we own get Stihl oil at ratios the saw manf reccomends. All this oil science talk on here has caused me to start wearing a flack jacket to protect me from engine internals since I only use dumb 'ol Stihl oil at 50-1, wish i had never read any of these threads, lol Never thought I had a oil problem going clear back to David Bradleys w/ power products motors and 30wt non-detergent, gawd did those Bradleys pour the blue smoke. Now if your into racen saws I suppose some different thinken than mine is in order.

Presently in my saws Amsoil full synthetic 100:1 premix @ 80:1 mix for heavy-duty use.

All other 2 cycles Amsoil full synthetic 100:1 premix @ 100:1

I like others also, nothing wrong with Stihl premium @ 50:1 except for more smoke and odor.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

which brand of fumes are you inhaling

Like the Amsol warning, all of the oils say something to the effect : "DANGER: harmful or fatal if swallowed. Contains synthetic lubricant and petroleum distillates. If swallowed do not induce vomiting. Contact a physician immediately. Keep away from fire, heat and open flame. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid frequent or prolonged skin contact. Flush eyes with water for 15 minutes in case of contact. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN."

Has anyone seen any reports to the effect that during combustion the apparently poisonous oil, is changed into non-poisonous fumes?

I'm running MX2T at 32/1. For what it is worth I ran cheapo (TC and TCW 2/3) oils at 32/1 for years and had no oil related prolems at all.

right now i'm running husky xp. i bought out a logger that had cases and cases of it. i like it plus it has stabilizer in it. marty

I've run Walmart oil at 40:1 with Stabil added (I add the Stabil not Walmart!) in all my 2 cycle engines for many years. I've locked up 5 engines so far but only 3 were due to the crappy oil. The other 2 were because I like to run them wide open with no load and lean the carb out so they really scream!
Just kidding, I've been playing with 2 cycle stuff for 30 years and I've never had one fail for any reason including wear. If you can remember to put oil in the gas and always listen to make sure they are running just a tad rich so they don't overheat most 2 cycles will last a long time with any decent 2 cycle oil. Dad bought old homey is 35 yrs. ago and it's still going strong after all these years.

Latest posts

Back