What was the first chainsaw you ran?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldman47

Oldman47

ArboristSite Guru
My first was an early 1990s Stihl 026. I still have it and was using it last week with the original bar and chain. My use for a saw was quite limited until I decided to heat with wood. My Husky 555 arrived in the big brown truck on Tuesday and still has not seen any fuel in it. I want to make sure I have my stuff together before I even fuel it. Still trying to figure out if I need to grease the bar tip and similar things before I spin it. It does have one of those grease holes but folks have told me the B&C oil is really all it needs. Page by page I am digesting the owner's manual.

rocketnorton

rocketnorton

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
My first was an early 1990s Stihl 026. I still have it and was using it last week with the original bar and chain. My use for a saw was quite limited until I decided to heat with wood. My Husky 555 arrived in the big brown truck on Tuesday and still has not seen any fuel in it. I want to make sure I have my stuff together before I even fuel it. Still trying to figure out if I need to grease the bar tip and similar things before I spin it. It does have one of those grease holes but folks have told me the B&C oil is really all it needs. Page by page I am digesting the owner's manual.

the sprocket will spin oil off, not in [toward bearing]. grease it.

colin.p

colin.p

ArboristSite Operative
Oh ya, my first saw? The first saw I ever used was some blue-topped Homelite that my FIL had back in the early 80's. Was hard to pull over, was loud as hell and cut more than I wanted to do. My first saw was a Craftsman 36cc (?) with a 16 inch bar that I bought through the catalogue during the ice storm of '98 when there supposedly wasn't a chainsaw to be had within a hundred miles. Gave it to my son, when he bought his house, and it still starts and runs.

goincrazyinvt

goincrazyinvt

ArboristSite Lurker
First saw was my grandfathers homelite super xl that I could barely hold at 6 or 7. In fact just found one real cheap and had to buy it. Favorite saw would be my 660 or dad's Mac 10-10. Just for nostalgia. He's still got it, fired it up Saturday after 2 years of not running. Only Mac I've ever seen that will start every time lol.

gomoto69

gomoto69

ArboristSite Operative
First saws i ran were an old homelite and mac i think, no idea on models, that my dad had. Got a job logging right out of a year of college, bought a husky 181se, then a 298xp for a backup, still have them both, still run like new, 181 is probly my favorite saw ever, but gotta love the pop pop pop of the 298! Between those 2 saws, and my sons 346xp he uses for climbing, there's not many situations that wouldn't be well handled! I don't do enough cutting any more to warrant buying a modern saw, my 'antiques' run way too good!

_RJ_

Professional Nobody
My dads 026. My friend and I ran a little firewood business on the side in high school. We'd set chokers all day then we were allowed to take the scraps off the landing.

AKDoug

AKDoug

Pro Staff
The first saw I ran.. some sort of Poulan mini-top handle job. My dad would send me up on top of rail cars of lumber to use it to cut apart dunnage. I was 12 or 13. He still has it somewhere. I need to get it from him.