What was your dad/family's first saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlcuts

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What was your dads first saw and does it still run? Mine is a husky 50 that my dad bought in 89 i think. With some cleaning and carb work it is now one of my favorite saws and is slowly turning me to the dark side ( husky).

The only one I remember my dad running is a McCulloch PM 800. This is still the only saw he owns and uses for firewood. The dang thing still runs awesome and he never replaces anything on it. I dont understand how it is still running. The ONLY things he has replaced is the bar and chain. Last year it got a new 7 pin rim. I have the original bar on my PM 800 and looks to be in perfect condition aside from missing paint. He has ran my 372xpw and wants one but his saw is just amazing.

My dad picked up a Poulan 306A in 79 or 80 used for 60 bucks from an older guy down the down from where we lived.

The saw heated grandpa's house for 20 years along with dads and is still heating dads.The only thing ever done to it is it had the points sanded once and a couple of fuel filters in its life. I think he got his 60 bucks worth.

The first saw I can remember my late grandpa having was either a Mall or Mono, but the first saws I remember seeing them running was a old XL-12 as their little saw and a XL-925 super? for their big saw.
The first saw I ever run was the 925, I was only 12/13 years old. My late Dad and I ran it for several years, then we bought a Super EZ, and then when I was 16/17 we bought our first Stihl, a 028 WB, I still have it and run it. My first saw purchase by myself at 17 was a new 032, it was a tough decision between it and a 360 homelite, I remember looking at the brochures nightly for at least a couple of weeks before I made my purchase, I think the 032 was almost 40.00 more than the 360 which was a ton of bucks to a high school kid.
The absolute worst saw our family ever had was a Homelite 410, it was a nightmare, never could get it to start. When you did it wouldn't run worth a ****, had it to the dealer countless times, finally traded that hunk of junk off. I do remember an uncle having a Mini-Mac for a camp saw for elk hunting trips. In our area back in the 60's and early 70's it was all Mac and Homelite, until Stihl came into the area and the American brands started building cheaper saws.

My dads first saw that I know of is a stihl 028 wood boss. He bought it brand new in 1979. He still has it and uses it for limbing now. I put a new bar and chain, muffler mod, and carb tune. Still runs great.

Poulan S25DA, built in 1972 (I would have been 3 at the time). It's now in my possession, and was recently refurbished:

attachment.php

View attachment 200118

My dad was a carpenter and built a lot of pole framed buildings. He used to cut the tops off the posts with an old electric chainsaw that was made by Montgomery Wards:rock: He decided to start burning wood in the early 80's and I remember him buying an 011AV. We took turns running that saw for a few years until I moved out. He gave up on the burning wood and used the saw for pole topping untill he dropped it 20 feet onto concrete. It cracked the recoil cone, broke one fin off the flywheel, and pushed the crank over just enough to where a seal was bad. I still have the saw, but it is in a box in my basement and is a total basket case. I have thought about fixing it but I am sure it would cost as much as what I just paid for my new 250C

My dads first saw was a worn out mac 1-72 I can still remember him fighting with that saw just to get it started. I must have been about 6 or so when he put that saw up and bought a used 028 that he still has to this day. That 028 was our big saw for about 15 years then I bought my 046.... then an 066 then my 880. Now dad just picked up 2 new 660's one full wrap west cost modle and a half wrap modle, I think hes been hanging around me long enough for the CAD to waer off :D

Now if you really want to go back to the first chain saw in the family that would be my grandfathers Mall 11, him and my grandmother used to cut fire wood with that beast back in the 60's and 70's grandma ran the stinger. We still have that saw but it hasnt run since the mid 70's, it has a spot reserved in my living room as soon as I get the house finished up.

My dad had two old McCulloch 3-25's; one was a two-knob '49 model, the other a '50. I still have them and a couple more. In the early 1960's he and his little brother bought an XL-12; then rather than fight with my uncle over it, he got himself a model 17.

I lost my dad in 1972; I was an 8th grader. We still burned wood for heat so I assumed the lead role in that dept. I cursed that old Homelite for a winter, but in the spring we got a shiny new Echo 701...Man the difference between that saw and the Homelite 17 was like night and day. By the time I was a senior, a neighbor and I git the bright idea to clean up about 50 acres of tornado-downed white pine to try to make some cash. We figured to use our farm equipment to do the work.

We made almost enough to pay for the stuff we wore out or wrecked. The echo was stolen, so I got a Homelite xl-923 for my trouble. That saw was traded for a down payment on a littler car to go off to college. While at College, I lucked into a Homelite 330 as pay for taking down a tree. the owner had not been able to afford a tree service, and talked her brother into buying a saw and they would try to do it themsleves. They chickened out, and I got to keep the saw for taking the tree down. I also got to keep the wood, used a truck owned by the school to haul it to an unused portion of the maintenance shop yard; my work-study boss and I began a business selling ricks of wood to people who had a fireplace or barbecue. Eventually got busted when another guy found out we were making a little coin.

When I was done with that the 330 sat in storage for a long time, until I bought the farm back. it wasn't long before I needed a better saw and got a Jonsered 70. Now I have a Jonsered 2040, 2149, 621, 625, 670, 90, and a 90 that run. Also Homelite 330, 3 super-EZ's and an EZ-250, and as a toy, a Husqvarna 395xp. Plus about 75 junkers, parts saws, project saws, and collector saws

That 028 was our big saw for about 15 years then I bought my 046.... then an 066 then my 880.

I can relate to that, thats exactly the order that me and my father got our saws! :rock:

Homelite XL-12

My dad's first saw was a Homelite xl-12. He had some issues with it after many years and gave it to a friend of his quite some time ago. The friend had gotten it running, last I heard, but this was quite awhile back and both fine gentlemen have passed on. I've got an old XL-12 but not the same saw my father had.

The first saw that my dad and I used together was a Poulan Wild Thing. (Insert laugh here.) We cut a lot with that and it was the first saw that I used when I got into the firewwood buisness. My grandpaw had an old monster of a stihl that he cut oak down to feed the stock with when it was dry. He eventually got into cutting oak for extra money and would haul it in a 16 foot stock trailer to Midland to sell. I sure would like to get a hold of that saw ( or the trailer ,really), but my aunt that lives out on the ranch now says that she doesn't know where the saw is.

Dad had a Mac Pro 10-10. He hated the 10-10 with a passion and bought the 034AV in 87. The 034 was the only saw we had until 98 when he bought his 046. Me and one of my buddies got a summer job clearing brush and locust trees and I bought a 290 in 02. About a month with the 290 I had made enough money to trade it and pay the difference on my MS360 that I have now.

In about 1972 my Grandpa got a Mac Power Mac which was the first saw I ever used. It was a step up from the Mini Macs of the day and was a pretty good saw. In 1976 my Uncle got a Stihl 031 AV which I had until a few years ago when it was stolen from my garage. I wish I had both of the saws back today, lots of memories.

Latest posts

Back