What was your first ride?? --Just for Fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I've got you all beaten for pure lameness of my first car. It had:

1. ZERO cool factor
  2. ZERO performance factor
  3. ZERO vintage factor

It was just old and lame. :D A 1959 Ford Anglia. AKA the "100E".

Yep, a Brit car by an American company, but in left hand drive for the American market. Powered (if I dare use that word) by an 1100cc flathead. 0-60 in "Have you got a couple of minutes and we'll talk about it?" I'll bet it cranked out all of about 40hp. HAH! I just looked it up. I overrated it. 36bhp. :D

During this period the old Anglia was available as the 103E Popular, touted as the cheapest car in the world.

http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Anglia

3 speed on the floor with a shift handle about 38 feet tall. Suspension felt like it was a couple of 1" iron pipes where the springs should have been.

Originally purchased used by my oldest brother, it passed down the chain until I got it. Oh, well. I only paid fifty bucks for it. :D

My First car was a 67 Dodge Charger with a 383 4speed. Gas was something like 38 cents a gallon.. This car had the fold down rear seats, with a fold down piece into the trunk so you could lay in the back when you went to the drive in.

I later sold it a couple years later and ended up with a 1970 Ford Van. Re did the interior with 8 track car stereo, shag carpeting and curtains on the windows. That low rider van was a real chic magnet.

I've had this for over 30 years. Used to drive it back and fourth to work at about 10 MPG, Lol Gas was a lot cheaper then.

attachment.php
Yeah, those were so cool. My uncle had the yellow Hemi Cuda with the 426 and the Hurst pistol grip shifter. I only rode in it one time, but I was just in awe the whole time.

I once passed on a box stock, 100% original orange Super Bee for $2k. That car would be worth mid 6 figures right now.

That was only half of what my Volkswagon cost, and you even had a heater!
It sounds like a great car to me. My neighbor had one and it was high tech compared to my V.W.
I had to drive around with a pancake turner in my car to scrape the frost off the inside of the windshield in the winter.:dizzy:

Yeah, but your bug had "cool" factor. At least it was recognizable! :D

Super Bee

Those super Bees were something.When I was a kid a fellow worker had one with i think 383 with 3 two barrels and it had front line lock.Man could that thing smoke!
Lawrence

Yeah, those were so cool. My uncle had the yellow Hemi Cuda with the 426 and the Hurst pistol grip shifter. I only rode in it one time, but I was just in awe the whole time.

They were and still are a blast Buddha. One uncle had a 68 Charger with a 440 and another had a 68 427 4 speed Impala. Both would #### and get.

I once passed on a box stock, 100% original orange Super Bee for $2k. That car would be worth mid 6 figures right now.

I know you're kicking your self in the azz. Lol

They were and still are a blast Buddha. One uncle had a 68 Charger with a 440 and another had a 68 427 4 speed Impala. Both would #### and get.

I know you're kicking your self in the azz. Lol
It's the one thing I'd let you kick my ass for, but that's it. :greenchainsaw:

I did a bad thing like that. I had bought a '65 Mustang from a buddy. Got crunched for bucks and sold it. I was the third owner, had the paperwork from the first sale. It was sold in MAY of 1964!!! Had to be one of the very first ever sold. It was MINT. Not a scratch, not a ding, not a tear in any upholstery anywhere. Well, okay I had replaced the water pump. But the rest was original. It was the 289 with a 2 barrel (I know, not a powerhouse), but oddly enough, had the 4 speed Borg T-10 trans, which (if I understand correctly) was THE trans to have for hotrodding.

I sold it in '79 for what I had paid for it - $1200. I had no idea what I had! :cry:

1978 Volkswagen Rabbit. The best thing about it was the sunroof.

Well, it got around 28-30 MPG, so that was ok too.

I did a bad thing like that. I had bought a '65 Mustang from a buddy. Got crunched for bucks and sold it. I was the third owner, had the paperwork from the first sale. It was sold in MAY of 1964!!! Had to be one of the very first ever sold. It was MINT. Not a scratch, not a ding, not a tear in any upholstery anywhere. Well, okay I had replaced the water pump. But the rest was original. It was the 289 with a 2 barrel (I know, not a powerhouse), but oddly enough, had the 4 speed Borg T-10 trans, which (if I understand correctly) was THE trans to have for hotrodding.

I sold it in '79 for what I had paid for it - $1200. I had no idea what I had! :cry:

If it was a 289 it was not the original motor-the 260 was standard V-8 w/ 2 bbl the first year or so(or someone changed the carb on the 289 to a 2 bbl). From : http://www.mustangmonthly.com/thehistoryof/mustang_1964/index.html

"When the Mustang entered production early in March 1964, it didn't have many of the refinements it would have later on; call it a reskinned Falcon with bucket seats. To be a '64-1/2 at all, a Mustang has to be factory-equipped with a generator charging system, a 170ci six (U-code), a 260 2V (F-code), or a 289 4V (D-code) low-compression, large horns mounted down on the frame behind the radiator, a brake light pressure switch on the master cylinder, a center "off" heater fan switch, and a generator charge light, just to name the basics. These are features exclusive to Mustangs built between early March and July 31, 1964 (scheduled build date code only). "

Last edited:
1959 Volkswagon, 32 H.P., no fuel gage just a reserve valve on the floor.
A very scary rid on I-94, most people doing 80 mph during rush hour, I could only do 70 with a tail wind or while drafting a semi...:cry:

Used to borrow my Aunt's 1970 Beetle 1200 on occasion, 41.5 hp and 70mph flat out. I once got it up to 90mph on ther Eastern Townships Autoroute east of Montreal near Orford on a long downhill stretch. Recall the owners manual said it could run on 76 octane gas-very low compression.

Mine was a 1978 model about 5,5 tall, paint blonde, head lights big round halogens, rear bumper- just right size chrome. engine- tuned to suck squeeze bang blow..:greenchainsaw: gas mileage- didnot eat very much
maintennce very low.. she got an electrical short and had to let her go.:hmm3grin2orange:

From : http://www.mustangmonthly.com/thehistoryof/mustang_1964/index.html

"When the Mustang entered production early in March 1964, it didn't have many of the refinements it would have later on; call it a reskinned Falcon with bucket seats. To be a '64-1/2 at all, .... "

Right there is where is throw this completely out as a credible source. I know it's very popular among Mustang enthusiasts to talk about "a '64-1/2" Mustang, but there was no such thing. Like Datsun did later with the 240Z, they started selling it very early, before the usual model year, but they always called it the '65 model year, as Datsun always called the first 240 a '70 model year, even though it was first sold in May or June (?) of 69. There was no 69 1/2 Z, and there was no 64 1/2 Mustang.

I'd rather believe the paperwork I had.

64 dodge polara 500, 383 2-4barrels. My baby is still in storage, waiting for a complete restoration. Had the car since 1989.

My first ride.....

1975 Ford F-100, 360 2bbl, 4x4. Heck of a truck! Still have it, to bad it is the back 40 rotting away. I really should drag it back out and stick a motor in it

Right there is where is throw this completely out as a credible source. I know it's very popular among Mustang enthusiasts to talk about "a '64-1/2" Mustang, but there was no such thing. Like Datsun did later with the 240Z, they started selling it very early, before the usual model year, but they always called it the '65 model year, as Datsun always called the first 240 a '70 model year, even though it was first sold in May or June (?) of 69. There was no 69 1/2 Z, and there was no 64 1/2 Mustang.

I'd rather believe the paperwork I had.

How bout the 98 and a 1/2 Dodge Cummins?

Latest posts

Back