What was your first ride?? --Just for Fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
66 mustang 289 hi-po, pony int. and dealer add on air... still have her... she has seen alot..... and is the only girl that has stuck with me through it all.....

My first ride (as a licensed driver) was a '66 Ford Bronco Sport Utility. That was the 1/2 cab version with a short bed. "Sport Utility" was the Ford name for that configuration. The full cab version was called the "Bronco Wagon", while a doorless/topless version was called the "Bronco Roadster". Bought it from the original owner. Still have the owner's manual and alluminum warranty plate somewhere.

I've read in magazines in the past that the '66 models were only available with the 170 I6, and the 289 was available starting in '67. Well that's HORSE HOCKEY. This rig was all original, and was built in 3/66 (on the doorframe sticker, along with the VIN which included the engine, transmission, and axle codes). The original owner told me that it was one of the first '66s with the 289. Had the original 3 on the tree.

I loved that rig, and miss it terribly. It took me places that I had no business going, and kept me alive despite the many stupid things I did as a young teenager. It was uncut, and didn't have a spot of rust anywhere. After a few years of hard teenage use (and 23 years or so of adult use before that) totaling close to 200K miles, it was getting tired. Rather than get a cheap poopbox to drive while I rebuilt the engine, repainted the rig, etc..............I instead bought a 1989 Ex-CHP 5.0L Mustang and sold the Bronco (in 1992 for 2400 bux with the 1/2 cab top+bulkhead, and also a full top I'd bought). Now the Mustang's gone too (after it racked up over 230K miles). The guy that bought the Bronco beat the pee out of it and sold it off. I've recently decided that I'm gonna try to track it down and get it back, after 18 years apart... :cheers:

My First car was a 67 Dodge Charger with a 383 4speed. Gas was something like 38 cents a gallon.. This car had the fold down rear seats, with a fold down piece into the trunk so you could lay in the back when you went to the drive in.

I later sold it a couple years later and ended up with a 1970 Ford Van. Re did the interior with 8 track car stereo, shag carpeting and curtains on the windows. That low rider van was a real chic magnet.

I own same car only automatic. red.......

I had a 1977 Ford LTD 4 door
But it had a 460, and man when you would stomp on it and hear the 4 barrel open up

Me and my cousin called it the stud mobile.

:cheers:

1985 Chevy K5 Blazer. Took the grandpa style running boards off, slapped on a 4" lift and 33's, had a lot fun in that thing

1983 Chevy K5 Blazer with the 6.2L diesel and 700R4 trans. Had 304K miles on it(all original) when I got it. Got it in 1997 as an early high school graduation gift. Was stolen from my uncle's driveway in June 2002 and never recovered.

Scott

first(s)

In the project/summer car category, my 1985 Volkswagen Cabriolet, 1.8L four banger, five speed manual. It's quite quick thanks to the close ratio trans, and gets good gas mileage. The story behind it was my cousin had to get it out of the apartment lot before january 2008, so it basically was a Christmas present for me. I've replaced the cooling system, struts, tires, and have much more to do to it to make it prettier and run a little better. Fun to drive, thats for sure. :biggrinbounce2:

In the winter/daily driver car category, I'm driving a 1984 Datsun/Nissan Maxima station wagon. We call it the shaggin wagon. 173,000 miles, and trans is slipping a little. I'm hoping this winter will be the last for this car, as if I drive it any more winters, the body will likely be irrepparable due to extensive rust. I've also installed a patriot smithy muffler (had to, cat plugged up, and old exhaust broke) on it and it sounds like a v8, but it's only a 2.4L straight six. I've heard this engine can last well over 400,000 miles and still not burn oil. Last of the best engine, and last of the rear-wheel drive Maximas. I think I'm gonna have to put a new trans in a few months to a year from now, it slips more than it should. I will never go this fast in a car on the highway again--- was REALLY close to late for a hands-on auto repair competition, even at speeds well over 85 mph where the state cops won't pull you over, unless you're tailgating. Like I said, I will never go that fast unless on a closed racetrack, it just was plain reckless, even with no traffic at 5:50 in the morning.
I agree with gwiley, don't give a teenage kid a v8. I'm eighteen, and have driven my parents 1997 Suburban 350 Vortec on several occasions, it is hard to resist the urge to just floor it and see how much v8 noise you can make and gas you can waste. (it got a k&n cold air intake and throttle body spacer, which, ironically, I installed at their expense on the parts) It's currently got 205,000 miles on it... so I try not to be too hard on the "old" thing. :D Sorry about the long post.
Kyle

Oops, I didn't know this thread was dead...

86 firechicken

My first was an 86' Pontiac Firebird. The first day I had it I blew the motor and about a month after I got it running I t-boned an suv. Did the bodywork and wrecked it again, did the bodywork and wrecked it yet again. The third time I wrecked it I didnt fix it but kept driving it. Eventually the doors wouldnt stay shut anymore so I welded them shut and a few months later I sold it.

Here in the states the 1970 Beetles had much larger motors. I think they were 1500 cc, not sure of the horsepower.

I had a 72 super Beetle that had the 1600cc motor and dual port heads. It would actually run with most traffic, but I blew it up on the expressway. The connecting rod came right through the base of the generator tower and messed up a lot of other moving parts with the shrapnel. There was bits of stuff locked into the timing gears that wasn't supposed to be there.

I replaced it with a 1200 motor I had laying around. That motor used a 6 volt starter, it would sure spin up fast when I hit it with 12 volts. I had to fab a bushing for the end of the starter shaft to get it to all work together.:dizzy:

They were available with 1600 cc engines here as well-hers was the bare bones model which came with the smaller engine. I think the larger engine was 1500 cc in the 1960s however. Another aunt had a '72 Super Beetle with the semi automatic, which would not shift in the cold because the battery did not have enough juice. It was a very poorly constructed car, electrical problems and was rusting out on Quebec roads. Sold in '75 for a new Ford Torino, not that that was much better as it burned up at the side of the Eastern Townships Autoroute when about four years old.

1986 Chevy 1 ton crew cab - before they were cool to own. 2 wheel drive, 454 and 3 speed auto. Thing could pull down a house. A trip across town cost 1/4 of a tank but luckily it had the twin tanks that would burst into flames if T-boned. Once in a while, the muffler on the passenger side would "fall" off and flames would shoot out of the exhaust pipe. I started many a road side brush fire with that truck. The check engine light was on from the day I got it but I fixed it with a piece of black electrical tape. Never saw the light come on again. The floor had a hole rotted into it, but the front plate fit over it nicely so it stayed warm in the winter, legal in the summer.

Now I have a 2003 Dodge Quad Cab with 8' bed... not much has changed. ####ty mileage, plenty of balls, and long as hell

Back in the old'n days -

1954 Ford. Black 2 dr, black/red naugahyde interior. Stock, sleeper body.
Except for dual exhaust. Front end hung down a little....

Carried a 371 J2 Olds Rocket with factory trips. Racing h/c pistons, valve springs, 3/4 cam. Cable cut-outs end of headers. Truck clutch/pp coupled to
3 speed packard. Built from ground up in backyard. Old syle rocketship, everyday ride.

Lota fun to pull up to the light, have someone yell over "wanna run that junk",
(thinking it had the small Ford V8). Sure say 25 fiver...Off the line, just light 'em up, bang 2nd at 40 and pull the cut-outs and look over to see a stunned driver watching as his doors got blown in. 25 bucks in the pocket!

60's up til 73 oil embargo were fast, wild times. Best of the rat rods.

That old Ford earned lots of gas money and dates until the real big blocks started rolling out in Darts and the like. Still, it gave them a hard run for the money.

There was this other built rat that was just gawd awful fast. Fastest i've ever riden in...

first ride was a 68 z50 honda mini for my 5th b-day. first car was a 67 cougar xr7, wish i still had that one.

First car was a 67 chevelle ss 396 4 speed with third gear out and bad alternator. I had to charge battery then could cruze I gave 189.50 for her lol:cheers: that was in 76

Back