What was your first saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16gauge

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
My first saw was a Homelite Super XL, bought well used in '86. It ran pretty darn good if you could get it started. About a third of the time the thing would start right up in the garage but when I got into the mountains where the wood is it would not even sputter. When it did start it ran well, even at elevation. I took it to a saw shop in Deary, Idaho. He spent 15 minutes cleaning the fuel filter, checked exhaust, spark and pressure tested it. He started it up, adjusted the carb and declared it ready to go. That guy was good and fast. Only problem is that at elevation it still would not start reliably. Man I pulled on that rope alot. :bang: Wore one set of starter parts out. As soon as I got my firewood in for that winter I sold it to a guy that lives down by the Snake River. As far as I know he still has it. Good for him...and me.;)

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
My first saw was also a pm610 mac that I picked up at a local pawn shop when I first started cutting fire wood. That was about 15 years ago and I still have it and it still runs great.(It is thirsty though) Since discovering this site I have added a bunch more. Even though it doesn't get quite the use it used to, I wouldnt hesitate to pull it out if another saw broke down.

Mike G

Mike G

ArboristSite Member
my first saw was as well a PM 610, bought it for 70 bucks at the local flea market. Its having coil troubles, so as soon as one shows up on Ebay, hopefully she will live again! For now Saw no. 2 will have to do........Super XL!

Gark

ArboristSite Operative
First saw was a Poulan 110 with 12" bar. Took about 30-40 pulls to start it. Figured I could saw faster by hand at that rate. So I did. Then I got Stihl.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Makita 520 or 540. Great little saw, still have it, still runs good. Just not big enough.;) Now there are so many saws I do not get any other work done. Great "hobby", obsession, or whatever. Always looking for another to rebuild. Going to need more storage soon.:D

Allan.K

Allan.K

ArboristSite Operative
First year for the 026.I still have it and use it hard every year,never been worked on either..I just did a carb rebuild this year.. The only things replaced is the bar,chain,spark plug.air filter and that is it...just love that saw..It has been very good to me over the many years.

Allan

Last edited:

Latest posts