What was your worst injury?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got into a 48" circular saw at the mill. I was being dumb doing something i had done 1000 times. I reached up by the blade to get bark Pinkie got trapped between the spinning blade and another part. I was trying to yank the pinkie out and get the helper to kill the engine my shoulder got into the blade. Cut was to the bone 1/4 wide at bottom and 1-1/4 wide at the top I lost a bunch of muscle. Surgery a bunch of stitches inside and 27 staples outside. I was back to work in 30 days.http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=123385&stc=1&d=1264792387

attachment.php

Thats a heck of a scar, wow.

That was a couple days after I got home. It happened sep7 2004. I got really lucky, only problem it gives is when I rake a lot.

Let's see, this could get long:

On the job?

4 days in the burn unit at KU: gasoline shot all over me from inside the cylinders of an engine. The spark plug lit it up at top dead center.

Then there was the face full of boiling water from the cross flow radiator. My entire face and top right chest were totally blistered. I even had blisters in the top corners of each ear and the inside of both nostrils. Eyes? Not burned at all! I had a nice "squint pattern" of unburned skin! [Yes! I did release the pressure off the radiator cap first, but nothing came out! ??? It was apparently defective in some way]

While showing an employee how it is done, I POUNDED a steel splitting wedge down into an oak log. It leaped back out in a graceful arc and chopped the web between my thumb and first finger. (back when I had them)

Private life

Broken collar bone when I was about 14
Facial reconstruction surgery for broken zygoma from tag football injury when I was 15.
Motorcyle wreck1: broken elbow, surgical pins. Broke it again the day after the pin was removed. 1976
Motorcyle wreck2:broken knee, clavicle, scapula 1980?
Motorcyle wreck3: 2 crushed lumbar vertebra, broken pelvis, atomized ankle. This was my worst injury; done in 1982, my first year in business

Head injury from a thug: subdural hematoma with parietal skull fracture, loss of hearing on left ear, loss of taste on left side of tongue. ICU for about 5 days,I left the hospital in about 9 days 1991
Head injuries are no fun guys! Wear those hard hats! Once you loose some hearing like I have you will appreciate hearing protection, too.

Shop wood planer: Careless, I cut off my right thumb and first finger.2000

2008: head-on auto collision with an idiot in my lane. Broke my neck in two places.

I got more surgeries too, but they aren't so bad as these!

Last edited:

On the job?

4 days in the burn unit at KU: gasoling shot all over me from inside the cylinders of an engine. The spark plug lit it up at top dead center.

Then there was the face full of boiling water from the cross flow radiator. My entire face and top right chest were totally blistered. I even had blisters in the top corners of each ear and the inside of both nostrils. Eyes? Not burned at all! I had a nice "squint pattern" of unburned skin! [Yes! I did release the pressure off the radiator cap first, but nothing came out! ??? It was apparently defective in some way]

While showing an employee how it is done, I POUNDED a steel splitting wedge down into an oak log. It leaped back out in a graceful arc and chopped the web between my thumb and first finger. (back when I had them)

Private life

Motorcyle wreck1: broken elbow, surgical pins. Broke it again the day after the pin was removed. 1976
Motorcyle wreck3: 2 crushed lumbar vertebra, broken pelvis, atomized ankle. This was my worst injury; done in 1982, my first year in business

Head injury from a thug: subdural hematoma with parietal skull fracture, loss of hearing on left ear, loss of taste on left side of tongue. 1991

2008: head-on auto collision with an idiot in my lane. Broke my neck in two places.

:jawdrop: and:rockn:. thats all i can say here

On the job?

4 days in the burn unit at KU: gasoling shot all over me from inside the cylinders of an engine. The spark plug lit it up at top dead center.

Private life

Head injury from a thug: subdural hematoma with parietal skull fracture, loss of hearing on left ear, loss of taste on left side of tongue. 1991

And you still go outside? :jawdrop:

When opening radiator caps, squeeze the top radiator hose with your hand. If you can squeeze it and it's hot open carefully. If you can't squeeze it and it's hot, don't open the cap. A trick my Dad taught me.

Yeah...I know that now.

When I got radiator burned, it was mostly because I was trying to prove a point. I had just paid some jackleg mechanics to fix an engine, and it was still overheating badly. They drove it around the block, and said " no problem, see?"

I said "BS!, see for yourself!" Even though I turned it to the vent position, I was not being very careful. After I got out of the spray and turned around to watch, that car was still shooting hot water over the garage roof.

That was many years ago when I was much more hardened [young and stupid?]. I never even went to the doctor on that little incident. Outcome? No infections, no scars on my face, it only scarred my arm a little bit where the t-shirt sleeve held the heat against my skin too long. It felt like a really good slap in the face at first, but was pretty sticky and unpleasant for the next month.

Summertime 1983

Last edited:
Ooops. I forgot some on-the-job injuries

I broke three ribs in a minor fall in a tree once. I didn't even know it until hours after the incident. This was longer to heal and more painful than either of the later rib injuries. [No, I never went to the doctor]

I broke a couple of ribs running a walk-behind mower with a ride-on sulky: I crashed into a stump and stopped real short. [never went to the doctor]

I broke a rib or two when I got knocked out of a tree when the lowering rope got stuck in a narrow crotch. I was squealing like a little girl: "Let go of the rope!" It didn't help. Groundman was NOT at fault. [never went to the doctor]

Broken ribs aren't hardly worth worrying about. They hurt for a while, but you get over them in about a month. I guess some folks get perforated lungs, but that is pretty uncommon.

Come on now guys! I know some of you have been hammered on the job! Let's hear about it.

Nope 30 years sawing trees nuthin than knocking me collar bone about of place. I'm real care-full I get a scratch and sook for weeks.
This little rip is still not quiet healed. Looks neat but was about 1/2inch deep. Its the bandage that will get a laugh.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1643976&postcount=34
Your way tuffa than me PDQDL taking all the hits for all the team.

Last edited:
A guy at work this week lost his pinky and most likely will have limited use of his left arm. A 10 hp motor with a 50 pound fan blade + Left arm = Bad day.

I broke my...

Never mind. We have a winner.

On the job?

4 days in the burn unit at KU: gasoline shot all over me from inside the cylinders of an engine. The spark plug lit it up at top dead center.

Private life

Head injury from a thug: subdural hematoma with parietal skull fracture, loss of hearing on left ear, loss of taste on left side of tongue. ICU for about 5 days,I left the hospital in about 9 days 1991
Head injuries are no fun guys! Wear those hard hats! Once you loose some hearing like I have you will appreciate hearing protection, too.

On the job?

Private life

After reading that, I got nothing to complain about. Makes my hand injury with a chainsaw seem insignificant.

:agree2:

Yeah...I know that now.

I figured you would pdqdl, it was more for anyone else reading this post. :cheers:

I am with the guys above. I have had no injuries that even slightly compare to what you have survived. I'm pretty sure that your amongst your other titles you would be the AS 'King of Pain'.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Take care Your Majesty
You have won already.

Nope. Not the king of pain at all. I didn't really post all that to "win" anything at all. I just figured you guys would like to hear about somebody else's misfortunes. Something like the old saying "Misery likes company"? I guess I do have a pretty rugged background in putting up with injuries, though, don't I?

I think it has to do with having a much higher tolerance for pain. I think when stuff doesn't hurt you too much, you don't have the same fear of injuries. ALL of my motorcycle wrecks were preventable except one, and I didn't tell you about all 13 of them.

Ok. Enough about me. Other readers: chime in with your stories. Particularly colorful or stupid injuries will be most appreciated!

Last edited:
Back