What would you pay for a...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoodward15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
used Husqvarna 51 that was complete but had low compression? I saw one at the farmers market yesterday and the guy said "$75, it's got compression too". I grabbed the rope (which needed to be fixxed as it wouldn't retract all the way) and eased the weight of the saw on to it and it dropped like a box of rocks.

offer the guy $30 and go from there. i have gotten some good saws for that. including the husky 181 that i ran for 5 years. (that cost $25 and just needed rings, carb kit and handle bar) for parts saws i do not pay much. most of the time they are just plain wrecked in my area.

Were you able to fire it up?

Sometimes the cylinder of an engine gets dry (mostly they get gummy) and there wont seem to be much compression. After it gets run for a lil bit and the rings get wet it can boost the compression a bit.

But I would try and lowball him also.

Good to see your stickin around!:cheers:

Good point Raisedbywolves. I didn't think about it. I might go back next weekend. I'm sure it will still be there. It certainly didn't look like a 75 dollar saw though.

I paid $20 for my Super XL, thought it needed bar and chain. Freed the bar, tossed the chain.

I'm with these guys, and use $25 for your baseline. If the chain or bar is shot, maybe even $20. If it looks nice, $30. If it looked nice and had compression, it would be worth every bit of that $75 he's asking, with no bar or chain.

You may want to pull the muffler to make sure that you aren't buying something completely trashed. Cleaning up the cylinder and putting new rings on is one thing. A new jug, piston, and rings is something else.

Mark

It was one of those "I just got it, I don't know what's wrong with it....it's got compression" saws. My weed whacker has more compression. It didn't feel like it had much, but like RBW said, it may have just been a dry cylinder. I'll keep looking for a bigger saw.

twoodward15 said:
It was one of those "I just got it, I don't know what's wrong with it....it's got compression" saws. My weed whacker has more compression. It didn't feel like it had much, but like RBW said, it may have just been a dry cylinder. I'll keep looking for a bigger saw.

Don't be in a rush to turn it down. At the right price and the cost of a few parts if the piston isn't scored you will have a nice saw. I have a 51 with 16" bar as my 'limb/trim' saw. Very nice for that and very good also in bucking stuff of reasonable size (up to about 14").

Harry K

you can luck out!

I picked up a 2004 372xp that wouldn't't run for a $100.It was cherry on the outside.Full paint very little scratches.Needed a piston and rings.Cylinder just needed honing out!Saw must have stopped running before Major damage.See if he will let you pull the muffler as stated in another post.
Ed

Back