what would your heating bill be if

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heating bills costs if not burning wood

• 100-150

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 150-200

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • 200-250

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • 250-300

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • 300+

Votes: 125 55.8%

• Total voters
I built my house in 2000 and have about 3000 sq ft to heat.The first winter My electric and natural gas cost were around 350-375 monthly and like others have said " the house felt cool".With my OWB my monthly cost is around 120 for the electric and NO gas Bill, so my savings is around 250 and the house is very warm to the point Wife will say its to hot..

Last winter I had just moved in and wasn't set up to burn wood in this home yet. I used electric heat, but kept it around 58 degrees in the house and had most of the rooms I didn't use very often closed off. Still cost me $2k+. If I was keeping the house at the temp I keep it now, I would easily be at $4k to heat my home through the winter months...

I hate to know what my neighbor pays. He has the same setup as me, all electric heat, but his house is 9500 sf. He has to be paying over $1500/month.

Our house was built in the 1880s. Not a stitch of insulation in the walls until this year. We did finally put in a bunch of new windows also....... but its still not a very efficient house. I have no doubt that heating with oil like we did the first winter here, we would be spending around three grand for the winter at the current heating oil prices. I have easily paid for my four saws,splitter,dump trailer,hand tools, etc in the past five years. AND, its way warmer in here since my thermostat would only be set in the mid to high sixties on oil. :cheers:

Have been heating with wood for over 30yrs. The neighbors tell stories of 325to 400+ electric bills in the cooldest of winter months. Wife said our last electric bill was $67.

We burn less than 100 gallons of oil per year and only when it is chilly but sparkin' up the woodcooker would be overkill. so a little under 300 dollars for oil per year.....all my firewood is free except my cost to saw and split it and my wife and daughters like the house between 75 and 80 degrees....no problem!!

The first year in our house we spent close to $4000 in propane. Post-OWB we can get by with less than one fill per year to run the other appliances, so an easy $3000 savings. Since the whole thing only cost me $2400 to build and install it's already paid for itself. Now that money I would have spent on heat can go into more fun things. (I won't tell the wife about the cost of saws/trailers/maintenance/etc. if you don't! :cheers: )

We have a natural gas furnace/water heater, our average winter bill is around 80-100, highest was 145. Warmer weather is cheaper of course, only paying for hot water then.

I would burn over 1000 gals of propane a yr and thats with gas stove, water heater, heat.... Know about 200 gals yr....just bought 200 gals at $2.50 gal.... RAPE>>>>:cry:

My house is a 1995 ranch, 1580sqft, w/6" walls. I would go through about 700 to 750 gal of propane a year running a pulse furnace and 40gal water heater. With the woodstove (Country Stove), I went two years on 300gal of propane. I'm sure I haven't broke even yet on burning yet because of what all the equipment cost. Stovepipe/chimney=$1000, stove=$2200, chainsaw equipment=$1400, (sold my Deere 80ev to dad though), woodsplitter=$1300, kubota RTV900=$9500, beer time with wood cuttin' friends=priceless.

Last edited:
Mines a bit tough to figure for sure. I have never heated my shop with propane but my house cost $1600 for the last year that we used it. If you were add my poorly insulated shop I'll bet it would be 1/3 more. Other than the few first years (about 15 years ago) that I ran an oil furnace in my shop I have heated it with wood.

this is our 3rd year with the wood stove.Adding up the cost to get it setup and going and considering the savings it paid for itself the first year

I have heated my house for a few months when I first moved in on Natural Gas and it wasn't pretty. Back then with the lower gas prices it was ~+200 per month more than summer. I have replaced the windows and sealed up the house better but still those two months are a constant reminder why I cut firewood.

The first winter I spent in my house I filled the LP tank four times. Bill #1 was $734, Bill 2 was $624, Bill 3 was $663 and the last one for the year was $597!!!!!!!! I about went broke that winter :laugh: I said to hell with that and haven't had an LP bill since. I love it.

After I built my house my first winter my oil bill was 700-800 a month, that summer I got a stove, a 27 ton troybilt a Husky 445 and a 10 cord load, all that cost me 1 year heating bill, now all I pay is 600 for a load of wood per year, not to mention something to play with in the winter.

Last edited:
When I bought my house in 2001 heating oil was around $2 per gallon and I was burning 1000+ gallons per year for heat plus hot water. Also heated kennel building with electric at a cost of around $3000 per year. Oil is now around $4 per gallon. I installed OWB 3 years ago. I burn all waste wood from firewood processing. I figure I am saving around $7000 per year with OWB. Initial cost for install was around $20000 so its all gravy from here on in !

Well, if I was paying the Man I certainly wouldn't be keeping the house at 75*, but I'd probably be in the $100-150 range worth of electric heat. It's a small house ~1000 sq. and I can close a couple rooms to reduce it to 600 if I want.

My highest electric bills are in the summer due to A/C ( one 400w window unit ) usually $35-40, and then usually $20-35 in the fall or winter. I have one small outbuilding I have to heat a little with electric to keep pipes from freezing. I have an electric dryer, W/H and pump.

3'rd year with wood here. 3 Years ago, I was going through about $130 or so a month in gas, and that was keeping it at 64 when I was home. I don't know what the gas has gone up to now, but last year my neighbor across the street was $300/month in the coldest months. I figured $150-200/month that I am saving. First year I payed for my stove, second year I payed for my splitter and saws. This year, it's all gravy!!!

Less than $200, but id be a lot colder for sure! 75* is common now, whereas id keep the house 68* when paying for electricity.

I'm not burning 1,000 gallons of propane annually anymore.... Down to less than 100 per year for various uses around the house.

Third winter on the OWB, I'll probably break even after next season on the OWB upfront costs. Had propane stayed near $3.00 per gallon, I'd break even this year.

Latest posts

Back