what would your heating bill be if

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heating bills costs if not burning wood

• 100-150

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 150-200

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • 200-250

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • 250-300

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • 300+

Votes: 125 55.8%

• Total voters
our house is 1600 sq ft. built in 1980 has electric ceiling heat...
what a joke..roof leaked and shorted out three rooms,,,
cost per month of electric heat is $400. mo. for it to be 60 deg.
insert and chimney etc. was here since new.. with out using electric heat my bill is $100.00 a month for it to be 75 deg.
i have pondered on installing a corn furnace for days that we wont be home to feed the stove, but the wife has been off work for two years
and has no gumption of finding one now... so she can stay home and feed it or freeze..her choice... :msp_w00t:

Annual or Monthly?

I figure I reduce my annual heating costs about $600 a year these days by burning firewood to heat about 1/2 of my house.

I would save much more if natural gas were as expensive as propane or #2 heating oil, or if I were heating with electricity, including an electric heat pump.

BTW, my only concern about the post is that the total billing time was not made clear (monthly or annual). I imagine many thought OP was talking about annual bill savings rather than monthy, so the chart is biased upwards.

When we built thehouse in 2002/3 and for the first few years, we were using between 1500-1800 gallons of heating oil to keep the place comfortable for my wife (who gets cold easily). With the woodstove in place we're down around 300-400 gallons a year and about 200 of that is for hot water (zone off the main boiler).

With wood burning I'm saving an easy $400/mo averaging consumption across 12 months.

House is a cape/chalet style log cabin, about 2400 sq feet worth of air volume, 1700 actual living square feet (great room in the front is about half the internal volume of the house and has a 26' peak ceiling).

Last edited:
I was spending about $2k per year 4 years ago with propane and now heat exclusively with wood. Of course I had to earn $2,600 in order to have the $2k for the LP, but with wood I get to keep 100%.:clap:

prob save about $2100 not burning oil havent burned a ounce except for test firing the furnace i used to have a wood/coal boiler got smart and bought a OWB best thing i ever done iLOVE IT no heating bills for me it will pay for itself by next winter for sure and only load twice a day in real cold weather once a day if in the high 40's:blob2:

About 1200 gallons of propane a year...so about $2500...check local listings.

Wood = Free
Stove = was there when I moved in
Chimney Re-Do = (1,200)
Used 361 = (300)
Splitter = (1,100)
Misc Supplies = (100)

After burning half of last winter and all of this winter I'm now money ahead, and have some new toys.

I figure I reduce my annual heating costs about $600 a year these days by burning firewood to heat about 1/2 of my house.

I would save much more if natural gas were as expensive as propane or #2 heating oil, or if I were heating with electricity, including an electric heat pump.

BTW, my only concern about the post is that the total billing time was not made clear (monthly or annual). I imagine many thought OP was talking about annual bill savings rather than monthy, so the chart is biased upwards.
In his first post he was talking about his monthly bill/savings,so I assumed thats what he meant.

I save about $1000 a year burning wood to heat 2/3 of my house. I have three zone BB hot water NG so I can keep the basement warm when the stove is cranking. Been doing this for just over 5 years now...I have a Jotul oslo as my stove. The stove investment was $2700, log splitter $1200, MS460 $950 (didn't need but wanted...damn CAD) assorted chains, file guides, supplies maybe another $250.

So the way I look at it, everything is paid for, and I am now reaping the financial rewards. Good for me so I can justify another saw if I get the urge.

Make Heat!

I save about $1000 a year burning wood to heat 2/3 of my house. I have three zone BB hot water NG so I can keep the basement warm when the stove is cranking. Been doing this for just over 5 years now...I have a Jotul oslo as my stove. The stove investment was $2700, log splitter $1200, MS460 $950 (didn't need but wanted...damn CAD) assorted chains, file guides, supplies maybe another $250.

So the way I look at it, everything is paid for, and I am now reaping the financial rewards. Good for me so I can justify another saw if I get the urge.
+1! Good post. Equipment and the use and maintenance of it is expensive. We all recognize that.

However, so are exercise clubs that soak you for good excercise and you produce no heat for your house while you send them the money. So, what do you produce at a gym?

I prefer producing heat for my house while I exercise. I think Stihl does too. :msp_rolleyes:

+1! Good post. Equipment and the use and maintenance of it is expensive. We all recognize that.

However, so are exercise clubs that soak you for good excercise and you produce no heat for your house while you send them the money. So, what do you produce at a gym?

I prefer producing heat for my house while I exercise. I think Stihl does too. :msp_rolleyes:

Yes indeed. The exercise is free. I enjoy cutting and splitting firewood so I'm getting all the benefits.

Savings well over $1000 for the season. Don't even want to think about firing the '57-vintage gas-disposal-unit.

Not a lot invested in saws- most expensive was $180 at a Navy Exchange in '79- still rips. Echo bought a bit earlier can fetch more than its purchase price on eBay, but it's not for sale.

Luckily, the odd blow-down around here can provide plenty of fuel and exercise, and allow plenty of time for air-drying. The saws I mainly use, use so little fuel, it's almost a challenge to keep it fresh.

What I need now is a wood-fired (e.g. servel) air-conditioner.

Latest posts

Back