What's a fair price for this...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numnutz6383

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a hit on Craigslist for a used Stihl 462 that according to the seller needs a new cylinder.

What's a fair offer for this considering the cylinder replacement, and whatever ancillary things that may come with that repair?

If it needs a cylinder chances are the piston and rings would need a replacement too. You should figure out the serial number because there are different types of pistons and cylinders and one might be harder to find than the other.

Looking to sell it all asap for best offer.
Offer $300 and see what he says.
He's also selling a 362 and a 311. I have a 59cc Echo saw already, not sure if I need another one that size. Is the 362 something worth considering getting?
I wouldn’t. The 462 weighs less than your 590 and not much more than a 362. I sold my 590 when I bought my 462.

That 462c is still available. He just made an offer to sell it to me for 150. I'm chomping at the bit but the low price has me concerned.

Does farmertec make P&Cs for this saw?

He's also selling a Peavey that I'm definitely going to grab, so while I meet him to grab that I'll take a look at the 462.

What should inspect and examine before I pull the trigger that would make you decide not to buy it?

If it’s only the cylinder i’d say it might worth the risk of getting it. A new Oem kit goes for around 300$ to 380$
But you have to see what carburetor is equipped with. I saw many ms462’s with both classic and m-tronic carburetors, so it may be a potential issue there.
And on the outside in some production years they made no difference between them. Same body with adjustment holes even on saws with M-tronic, which is fairly confusing. I don’t know if it’s the same in the USA, but here in europe it’s a common thing

He's also selling a 362 and a 311. I have a 59cc Echo saw already, not sure if I need another one that size. Is the 362 something worth considering getting?
In good shape? Yes. Make him an offer for all three. Fix and flip if you don’t want them.

If he wants $150 I will give you $250 and you make $100. Also figure out the status on the other saws as I would be interested in them also. I would be interested in a package of the462, 362, and 311.

In good shape? Yes. Make him an offer for all three. Fix and flip if you don’t want them.
If he wants $150 I will give you $250 and you make $100. Also figure out the status on the other saws as I would be interested in them also. I would be interested in a package of the462, 362, and 311.
The 311 and 362 have been sold. All he has left is the 462. I'm leaning towards fixing it up if it's within my abilities and keeping it. I'll know once I pick up this weekend. It's a little too good to be true to be honest.

The 311 and 362 have been sold. All he has left is the 462. I'm leaning towards fixing it up if it's within my abilities and keeping it. I'll know once I pick up this weekend. It's a little too good to be true to be honest.
Ok

Back