whats a makita 6421 worth? home depot find for 20 bucks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyde

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys brand new here. I am a Dolmar guy and have always heard about home depot selling used saws. I got on their site and there was a 6421 for $108. I called them right away and was informed that it was sold. So i started talking to the guy and asking him how often they sell stuff and if that saw was blown up. He told me that the saw did run and that they usually didn't sell them not running. I told him i was looking for a project saw to big bore and not a runner. He said that he had one without a bar, chain, or clutch cover that was blown up. I asked him how much and he said $20! I told him to put my name on it and i would be in. When i got there he said that it was missing the air cleaner and he gave me a new stens for it. Then he said that they had put a new piston and cylinder on it but it wouldnt start. I got it home and started taking it apart. Not a single bolt was tight. When i got to the brand new mahle cylinder the bolts were a quarter inch from the bottom of the cylinder. It was like they just put it together without tools. A couple of hours of good cleaning and correct assembly and i have a good running saw. I have never bought or sold a used saw before and i just bought a new Dolmar 6400 a month ago so i dont need this one but i have no idea what to ask for this thing. Thanks for the add to the site. Been a creeper for a couple of years now..20151017_183718.jpg

That is a bar and chain and clutch cover off my Dolmar. So it is more than just 20 bucks there now. But i am amazed too

I'll give you $100 ;)

It's worth much more. Buy you need to figure out why it blew up in the first place. Was it a lean fuel condition? Or a leaky seal, gasket, intake, etc?

I noticed that the mixture screw was set as lean as the limiter would let it. I moved it all the way rich before i started it. It started fine but it is too rich now. The idle screw was so far out there was no chance this thing was idling before hand. I ran it for just a few minutes but it didnt rev up real fast and didnt peak like it should. The carb is definitely out of whack.

Ok guys brand new here. I am a Dolmar guy and have always heard about home depot selling used saws. I got on their site and there was a 6421 for $108. I called them right away and was informed that it was sold. So i started talking to the guy and asking him how often they sell stuff and if that saw was blown up. He told me that the saw did run and that they usually didn't sell them not running. I told him i was looking for a project saw to big bore and not a runner. He said that he had one without a bar, chain, or clutch cover that was blown up. I asked him how much and he said $20! I told him to put my name on it and i would be in. When i got there he said that it was missing the air cleaner and he gave me a new stens for it. Then he said that they had put a new piston and cylinder on it but it wouldnt start. I got it home and started taking it apart. Not a single bolt was tight. When i got to the brand new mahle cylinder the bolts were a quarter inch from the bottom of the cylinder. It was like they just put it together without tools. A couple of hours of good cleaning and correct assembly and i have a good running saw. I have never bought or sold a used saw before and i just bought a new Dolmar 6400 a month ago so i dont need this one but i have no idea what to ask for this thing. Thanks for the add to the site. Been a creeper for a couple of years now..View attachment 454563
Awesome score!!!
What part of the Home Depot site did you check to to find what saws they have for sale...the retail or rental?

Nice score for $20.00 and some wrench time.

I'm curious to know--Was the sale through Home Depot? Did Home Depot attempt the repair? Send it somewhere? I'm thinking that HD would simply toss the saw & write it off as part of the cost of doing business, or maybe return it to Dolmar only if they asked to examine it.

Perhaps someone at HD salvaged it, and decided to make it a personal project saw.

Home depot attempted the repair themselves from what i understand. It didnt make sense to me either but i wasnt going to ask questions.

oh please spill the beans on the website how to, I was able to find some stores that rent them, but not for sale?

After some more digging & figured it out, I might be making a little trip all the sudden for 1 of those 108 specials :) Thanks!

They said that at the end of every month and they post it online. But calling before calling before the list gets out might get u a good deal

The main site. Go to the rentals and there is a link that says used equipment for sale. It allows you to search by zip code. Pretty cool set up. Well worth it. Especially since i think a lot of the saws will be $108 from what i understand

The main site. Go to the rentals and there is a link that says used equipment for sale. It allows you to search by zip code. Pretty cool set up. Well worth it. Especially since i think a lot of the saws will be $108 from what i understand
Thanks Mr. Hyde...will check it out ASAP!:cheers:

there is 1 @ 108 & 2 at 300 near me, I didn't call as the cheapest is the farthest, I have too many saws to pick 1 up at 300

well I drive 48 miles 1 way to work, be another 36 miles in the wrong way, so not exactly on my way home :) I was kinda hoping @shorthunter would chime in he done picked it up

So apparently chainsaw is the key word for "bring all scam artist" on Craigslist. It is never ending! So here is what i am wondering. Would anyone here be interested in the saw? I am brand new to this site and just appeared out of no where, so i can totally understand any hesitation. Everybody knows what i paid for the saw and what i did to it to make it run. The bar, chain, and clutch cover are off my Dolmar so they will not be sold with it but if someone comes and looks at the saw i would gladly allow them to try it out before removing the parts. The carburetor does need adjusted a little but the saw saw starts and revs up fine. I am not looking for top dollar. I got a great deal on this and would like to make a little money but i am not tryi g to get rich. I work for a living and i have respect for those others who do to. My fear would be that someone would buy this and it blow up on them so i must say that it is sold as is. Again, not looking for top dollar. If someone is interested i can glady send more pictures and video if they wish.

What the hecks wrong with this place? I figured you done had 4 or 5 offers on it? I just placed a big parts order or I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back