whats a makita 6421 worth? home depot find for 20 bucks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here is what i have decided. I will take $225 for the saw and i will pay the ups shipping anywhere in the 48 states. This seems to be the middle road of buying one at hd for 108 to 300. This will not inlude the bar, chain or cover. I would prefer to talk to someone on the phone so we can go over every detail of the saw. I do not want someone to get the saw and bot be happy with it. There is a brand new OEM cyliner and piston on the saw. If u buy one at hd u have no idea what u r getting. I will move the post to the want to sell section when i figure out how to do it.

Is the Makita 6421 eligible for the piston/cylinder upgrade like Makita 6401?
I understand the only difference is a catalytic converter?
I need to check Baileys on the price of the big bore kits...

The location of the compression release was another difference between the 2 models. The 6401's had the compression release on the left side as well as the very early 6421's (both had the grey top covers). The 6421's with the matte black covers have the compression release on the right side. Unless something has changed recently all of the big bore kits are set up with the compression release on the left side. You can still order the 6401 top covers or you can get a dolmar 7900 cover (part # 038118291) The dolmar cover is ~ $20 but is gloss black instead of matte black. If you look closely at the pictures of the big bore kits you can see the thread hole for the compression release on the left side.

The main site. Go to the rentals and there is a link that says used equipment for sale. It allows you to search by zip code. Pretty cool set up. Well worth it. Especially since i think a lot of the saws will be $108 from what i understand

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

The location of the compression release was another difference between the 2 models. The 6401's had the compression release on the left side as well as the very early 6421's (both had the grey top covers). The 6421's with the matte black covers have the compression release on the right side. Unless something has changed recently all of the big bore kits are set up with the compression release on the left side. You can still order the 6401 top covers or you can get a dolmar 7900 cover (part # 038118291) The dolmar cover is ~ $20 but is gloss black instead of matte black. If you look closely at the pictures of the big bore kits you can see the thread hole for the compression release on the left side.

My Makita 6421--a Home Depot saw that wound up in a pawn shop--has the comp release on the left side and the gray top cover. The plastic around the comp release it majorly scratched up. I'm guessing that someone messed with it, didn't know what it was, or maybe at one time it got stuck. The caps were also beat up, & way too tight, I had to use a wrench to remove them.

Latest posts

Back