What's a name have to do with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelly

Mouth breather
Reaction score
So what is in a name? Nothing really if it is a quality product.

However, I have a problem with some of the names companies use for their products, and sometimes I won't even look at them because of the name.

Some that come to mind:

Swisher, Ariens ZOOM, Bad Boy Blasters, Earthquake saws, Wild thing saws and the one I bought, Dirty Hand Tools.

I gave the DHT (a better name if I don't say so!) a look because it got good reviews, and so far seems pretty sturdy and well built. I think they should have called it DHT or Frictionless.

Anyway, after splitting a few logs, the measuring tape was tearing off (useless in my opinion anyway) so I peeled it off. It came off easily. So I decided to peel off the "Dirty Hand Tools" stickers on the side of the beam. Came right off! Now I have a quality non-decript splitter without a silly name on the side.

Sorry to the sponsor but it is just my opinion.

I rolled my eyes when I saw the Bad Boy mowers. I couldn't believe anyone would buy something that expensive with such a stupid name. Then I started looking at them and they are very well built. I want one!
Earthquake and wild thing are no brainers, of course, but what's wrong with Airens?

I rolled my eyes when I saw the Bad Boy mowers. I couldn't believe anyone would buy something that expensive with such a stupid name. Then I started looking at them and they are very well built. I want one!
Earthquake and wild thing are no brainers, of course, but what's wrong with Airens?
Ariens name is fine. It is there "Zoom" line I have the problem with.

How about "extreme" whatever? That one makes me shake my head every time. When I think of extreme, I think of extreme sports. We have "extreme landscapers", "extreme builers", and "extreme concrete" in my area. How extreme can they be? Do they jump their mowers, and skidders? Maybe do some tricks while they work? Do I really want extreme people working at my house?

I guess I don't know why you would even care what some marketing genius decided to call some product. We've been cranking out so many widgets for so many years that we've run out of things to call them. Automakers and the people who come up with names for corporations have just given up and use meaningless syllable strings (probably computer generated). Other just use number strings for products, and often meaningless ones.

I dunno, it's a machine/tool/appliance that you will use for a time, then it will wear out or fail, or just get old and obsolete and why will it matter what it was called?

My fav is turbo! Just add a turbo to the name, makes it mo powerful, turns into a babe magnet, makes ya a manly studly man! No one messes with you because you own an Acme turbo!

I wonder if any gunmakers have used turbo yet...

It's target marketing. Guess we'll see products badged with emoticons and texting abbreviations like BFF before too much longer. :)

My guess, these seemingly odd product and company names are geared toward a younger clientele. Young people tend to be a bit looser with their money than us older folks and businesses have to keep pace with a fickle and ever changing market. This is not your father's Oldsmobile... or chainsaw.

How about "extreme" whatever? That one makes me shake my head every time. When I think of extreme, I think of extreme sports. We have "extreme landscapers", "extreme builers", and "extreme concrete" in my area. How extreme can they be? Do they jump their mowers, and skidders? Maybe do some tricks while they work? Do I really want extreme people working at my house?

In this area we had several "extreme" teams advertised under business names, but I don't recall any actual business names that sprung up. This was all do to those businesses being involved with the build for the tv show 'extreme makeover home edition'. Each company involved wether it was a hvac, landscaping, construction ... All ended up with advertisements and special logo's or shirts right after the build and show was aired. It didn't last too long though, it was just marketing and publicity.

I understand your point though a business with extreme in the name reminds me of the infomercials trying to sell something that usually was junk

How about USSC selling wood & pellet burners, along with add on wood furnaces. Clearly stamped on all boxes is "Made in China".
Because like most stuff with USA or America in the name it was once built here before we sold our soul to red china.

I have a old USSC 1600 that said "Union made in the United States" all over it , how times have changed.

At least people aren't putting "2000" on everything anymore!

So what is in a name? Nothing really if it is a quality product.

However, I have a problem with some of the names companies use for their products, and sometimes I won't even look at them because of the name.

Some that come to mind:

Swisher, Ariens ZOOM, Bad Boy Blasters, Earthquake saws, Wild thing saws and the one I bought, Dirty Hand Tools.

I gave the DHT (a better name if I don't say so!) a look because it got good reviews, and so far seems pretty sturdy and well built. I think they should have called it DHT or Frictionless.

Anyway, after splitting a few logs, the measuring tape was tearing off (useless in my opinion anyway) so I peeled it off. It came off easily. So I decided to peel off the "Dirty Hand Tools" stickers on the side of the beam. Came right off! Now I have a quality non-decript splitter without a silly name on the side.

Sorry to the sponsor but it is just my opinion.

Warranty = Void

:)
We have a sense of humor....to each their own. Good luck with your acme unit!

Warranty = Void

Didn't see that one coming!

Sense of humor has nothing to do with it. I stated my opinion! If your attitude truly is, "good luck with my ACME unit", I'd seriously think twice before buying any more of your products. Quality or not.

It seems kind of extreme to void a warranty because an owner took a name sticker off!?!? After all, they did come off REALLY easy, and who is to say they didn't catch on a log or something. I'd be surprised if they stayed on for the three year warranty period anyway.

It still has the Frictionless World UPC sticker with the serial #, model #, and DOM on it. So as far as I am concerned, it is still the same unaltered unit less the name stickers on the sides.

Like I said, it is a nice unit. Seems sturdy & well built.

And..... if it really is a good unit like it is claimed to be, I shouldn't need the warranty anyway.

I just don't like the name, sorry. I didn't mean to strike a nerve! Gheeeeesh!

Happy splitting.

Warranty = Void

That's funny!

Didn't see that one coming!

Sense of humor has nothing to do with it. I stated my opinion! If your attitude truly is, "good luck with my ACME unit", I'd seriously think twice before buying any more of your products. Quality or not.

It seems kind of extreme to void a warranty because an owner took a name sticker off!?!? After all, they did come off REALLY easy, and who is to say they didn't catch on a log or something. I'd be surprised if they stayed on for the three year warranty period anyway.

It still has the Frictionless World UPC sticker with the serial #, model #, and DOM on it. So as far as I am concerned, it is still the same unaltered unit less the name stickers on the sides.

Like I said, it is a nice unit. Seems sturdy & well built.

And..... if it really is a good unit like it is claimed to be, I shouldn't need the warranty anyway.

I just don't like the name, sorry. I didn't mean to strike a nerve! Gheeeeesh!

Happy splitting.

I'm sure they're just playing too!

You guys are funny! Of course we were kidding about the warranty!!! We just hope you are happy with the product decals or not. Maybe we'll create a poll next time and let everyone help name the next product!! Split on fellas!!

Waitaminute.... "beerbelly" has a problem with names???? ROFLMAO!!!!!! I almost spilled coffee on my keyboard.

You, sir, seem to have an image problem. I would think that anyone buying (or avoiding) solely because of a name is doing exactly what marketing guys say we're going to do... identifying with a brand! All your complaining is doing is proving that the industry has got us consumers pegged! Don't you realize the big guys sell the same product under several different brands in order to try and catch a bigger market share? "Well, they may not like "Wild Thing" but a few changes and we can sell it as "Poulan Pro" and "Crafstman, too."

I actually think Dirty Hand Tools was a good effort... "Tools for Dirty Hands." It implies they're made for serious work. Too bad we hear "dirty" and immediately think they need to be cleaned/sterilized/pasteurized thanks to years and years of mass marketing from the cleaning industry.

Warranty = Void

Lol... You know, I would probably spend a few extra minutes looking at an ACME log splitter if the brand label had a picture of the ACME rocket roller skates on it. Nothing says overkill like a rocket skate.

That's funny!

I'm sure they're just playing too!

I'm pretty sure the humor part was them voiding your warranty for removing the sticker... that is, unless you got one of the late models with this:

View attachment 373378

You guys are funny! Of course we were kidding about the warranty!!! We just hope you are happy with the product decals or not. Maybe we'll create a poll next time and let everyone help name the next product!! Split on fellas!!

Waitaminute.... "beerbelly" has a problem with names???? ROFLMAO!!!!!! I almost spilled coffee on my keyboard.

You, sir, seem to have an image problem. I would think that anyone buying (or avoiding) solely because of a name is doing exactly what marketing guys say we're going to do... identifying with a brand! All your complaining is doing is proving that the industry has got us consumers pegged! Don't you realize the big guys sell the same product under several different brands in order to try and catch a bigger market share? "Well, they may not like "Wild Thing" but a few changes and we can sell it as "Poulan Pro" and "Crafstman, too."

I actually think Dirty Hand Tools was a good effort... "Tools for Dirty Hands." It implies they're made for serious work. Too bad we hear "dirty" and immediately think they need to be cleaned/sterilized/pasteurized thanks to years and years of mass marketing from the cleaning industry.

Lol... You know, I would probably spend a few extra minutes looking at an ACME log splitter if the brand label had a picture of the ACME rocket roller skates on it. Nothing says overkill like a rocket skate.

Okay, okay! So I am an idiot.:buttkick:I usually consider myself to have a good sense of humor. Sometimes I just flat out miss the bus! Maybe to many beers in my belly are starting to warp my perceptions...........Naaaaaaaa!:givebeer:

Thanks for the kick in the arse. :cry:

Latest posts

Back