What's on your bench? 08-29-2013

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, that was the readers digest version and I chopped off the .357. But I'm guessing the bullet weights shoulda clued folks in.
yup, I gots a few of them pea shooters, .41,.44, .45 but no .357's in single but I have it covered in a double!:D

I would love to build a custom Blackhawk, alongside someone that new what they were doing. I know that person, read Rob, but he lives too far away to do something like this together. Hey Rob, you need to move closer, lol.

I'm thinking 45LC, case hardened finish, 4 5/8" barrel...

Last edited:
Homelite 35SL

I bought this for $10.00, it has a chain brake and is made in Canada. Finally got round to replacing some bits thanks to chainsawr, including intake boot. Got it all back together put some new fuel in and eventually off it went. Long fuel line from the tank to the carb! Obviously need to tune it but starts idels and revs and BOY does it pump out oil! Not at home just now so will try to add pics later.

Regards,

Lee:msp_biggrin:

My dream single action is a premier grade Freedom Arms model 83 with a 6" octagon barrel, roundbutted micarta grips in 475 with both the Linebaugh and 480 Ruger cylinder. I've been fortunate to have shooting buddies that have had most every possible combination of custom bisleys and mdl 83's in 454's, 475's and 500's that I've had the opportunity to shoot. As much as I like the bisleys and super blackhawks, the best grip in my hands is far and away the roundbutted FA 83. As much as I like packing a 4 5/8" grip, I can shoot the midlength barrels much more accurately and they really don't give up anything in packability.

I'd also like to get another 480 SRH and cut it to 5", one of these days. My 7 1/2" SRH is so crazy accurate I simply can't stomach messing with it. I have little doubt if I put a scope back on it and practiced I'd be able to shoot 5 shot 1" groups at 100yds with it.

Beautiful!

FreedomArmsMod83small.jpg

On my bench right now is a Poulan Pro Super 380, in for an intake boot. Not a real easy job. I found it helped to take the cylinder loose and put the boot on rather than try to scrunch everything up. If it was a Stihl I would have loosened the handle instead.

I finished repairing the Echo blower I posted earlier. Now it's running pretty well.

We have this ####ty Homelite string trimmer. It's been running worse and worse recently, to the point where it wouldn't run at all.

I just rebuilt the carb yesterday and now it's running great.

Attachments

• IMG_2859-1100.jpg
    IMG_2859-1100.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 22
An 024 is on the bench today. It's got a bad P/C and I have a good used one. I'm going to use it for training one of my guys.

316223d1380404304-2013-09-27_22-09-18-jpg

XP1020 on the bench, rest of it in the parts washer. 041G on the left for eye candy.

2013-09-27_22.09.18.jpg

Last edited:
An 024 is on the bench today. It's got a bad P/C and I have a good used one. I'm going to use it for training one of my guys.
Well, that was an experience :D Best training saw ever. It had problems from the top to the bottom. Bad fuel line, bad impulse line, broken chain brake handle, mis-matched worn out clutch springs, loose cylinder screws, home-made base gasket that failed, scored piston and cylinder, bad crank bearings.... LMAO :D The poor guy I was training is getting a plate full. Usually I would have just thrown it away, but $150 in parts will get me back going (already have P and C) so that's a small price to pay to help train a new guy.

Last edited:
Well, that was an experience :D Best training saw ever. It had problems from the top to the bottom. Bad fuel line, bad impulse line, broken chain brake handle, mis-matched worn out clutch springs, loose cylinder screws, home-made base gasket that failed, scored piston and cylinder, bad crank bearings.... LMAO :D The poor guy I was training is getting a plate full. Usually I would have just thrown it away, but $150 in parts will get me back going (already have P and C) so that's a small price to pay to help train a new guy.

He'll be so emotionally invested in it he can't resist if you offer to sell it to him for a deduction in his paycheck... :D

Lost has been found!!!

On my bench today was a ms440 that was stolen out of my partners pickup 6 years ago. I was at a local restaurant that has just been taken over by 2 new couples. One of the owners said he had heard I worked on saws sometimes and wondered if I could find out why his saw didn't oil properly. I had him throw his saw in my pickup and I would work on it after lunch. His saw had a 32" ES bar which seemed kind of long for a home wood cutter. Saw was really dirty looked like they had been digging ditches with it. I took saw to shop and took of bar to go into oil pump when I found the problem, dirt, mixed with lots of oil had pluged the oil passage. Cleaned up the bar, air cleaner and sold him a new chain. Took the saw back to his place and told him he owed for a new chain, plus a cup of coffee. He started to tell me about being on vacation with his now partner and had found the saw on a stump, I stopped him and told him that he had found the saw on a Saturday and where the stump was. The poor guy was in shock, I have known him about 2 weeks. After discussion we decided what had happened. 6 yrs ago we were sawing right-away for a new logging road, on Friday they had moved out the cats, excavators, and graders and we finished cleaning up some right-away logs loaded our junk and headed home, stopping off for a couple beers. That was where the saw got lifted, we thought, turns out my partner must have left the saw sitting on a stump. The guys turned the saw into the Ranger Station, my partner got a new saw from the insurance company and 90 days later these guys stopped at the station and retrieved their new saw. Now that's got to be going full circle.

I've got an 090 on mine that is doing my head in...

The starter wasn't engaging intermittently so i thought for the want of 10 bucks i would replace the pawls. I noticed the ones that came out had one side (the pointing inward) side, had chamfered corners and the new pawls didn't so i thought it was an obvious problem, the pawls were worn, but now, the new ones engage but don't dis engage so with the plug out you pull the saw over then the starter return spring wants to wind the whole crank backwards... Im thinking if you fired the saw like this, it would rip the guts out of the starter housing...

Any clues ?

Well since you asked. Stihl 041 super (For the old man). Will be completed sunday or monday. Stihl 066 mag completely rebuilt just waiting on a chain brake handle/hand guard and filter cover. The johnny red 920 is next. Then maybe something from the wall of madness not sure what just yet.:rock:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg