What's On Your Bench? 2/15/13

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron,

I was a little surprised to see outdoor pictures of this saw. Don't you usually use a Chest Freezer, and cardboard for your saw "Glamour Shots"?

CAM00376_zps135c4eae.jpg

Satisfied???:D

A McCulloch Super 250 is on the bench now. Sorting out the ignition and rebuilding the carb. Just got my Homelite 2000 running today. Did the usual fuel system rehab. Replaced the intake gaskets and cleaned out the blue RTV used long ago by a prior owner. There was a chunk of rust (looks to be scale from inside an iron water pipe) sitting within the reed block. Strange. Glad I tore it down to redo the intake gaskets. P/C are just about pristine, and it'd be a shame to ruin them. The saw has the single Dykes ring. Also, the saw had an NOS spur drive drum on it.......but the clutch was bound up. Turns out that the drum is for a saw with a narrower clutch. Swapped on the rim drive drum (dang 6 spline rims) from my 2100 Super. No new pics at the moment.

Last edited:
A Green Machine 2810....

Been a good one. Dad bought it new in 89, been used a good bit over the years, and this is the first time it wouldn't start for him.

Picture557_zps0801677b.jpg

A little mix down the plug hole got it to hit, so apart came the carb...

Got the usual, new lines and a new primer bulb to replace the cracked one.

All apart for cleaning and new bulb..

Picture561_zps97d4bbeb.jpg

A good cleaning and inspection, all together again...

Picture565_zps84d6db75.jpg

Next was an exhaust screen cleaning, but.....

Picture573_zps9ecf351b.jpg

Decided that could use a cleaning, so it came apart, the first time its ever been apart....

Ewww....

Picture578_zpsb2412808.jpg

Picture579_zpsad738819.jpg

A popsicle stick, some carb cleaner, and all cleaned up and back together.

Picture584_zps630ae12a.jpg

Carb was attached, and it started right up. I had to make a little plastic washer for the carb mounting screws though. Guess lost the one that was on there and the choke kept vibrating shut. Got that fixed and it is now ready to return to service...

Last edited:
Well, for most of its life, it was run on Green Machine oil at 40-1.

Past few years or so, not sure what it has been run on.

Here's the cylinder...

Picture576_zpsd2216c6d.jpg

Picture577_zpsa16daf65.jpg

I have some Stihl Ultra in 1gal mixes that I'll give him, just to see if it would clean it up a little bit. I use the pre-mixed cans in most everything anymore.

I guess the 750 and 026 are going to the back of the line while I hunt/acquire parts for them. Moving to the front will be a Poulan 44 two man saw that I just acquired and a Wards WD-60.

Stihl 025, Stihl 015, Remington Mighty Mite that needs a new bar bolt, and a Pioneer NU-17 I'm working on restoring. I also have an 015 parts saw and I might have collected enough extra parts to put together another; might be my next project after the Pioneer.

Well, for most of its life, it was run on Green Machine oil at 40-1.

Past few years or so, not sure what it has been run on.

I have some Stihl Ultra in 1gal mixes that I'll give him, just to see if it would clean it up a little bit. I use the pre-mixed cans in most everything anymore.

Well mix you were using kept it alive but what a mess. I have no nothing in my collection that has done that to it's self, they are all clean inside. I've run Opti2 and pump premium for almost 2 decades with zero mix related failures.

Stihl 025, Stihl 015, Remington Mighty Mite that needs a new bar bolt, and a Pioneer NU-17 I'm working on restoring. I also have an 015 parts saw and I might have collected enough extra parts to put together another; might be my next project after the Pioneer.

No kidding ya got a NU-17, I figured I was the only one around here cause they're not too common, also got another 620 in the works.

No kidding ya got a NU-17, I figured I was the only one around here cause they're not too common, also got another 620 in the works.

Yeah my father in law found it at an estate auction and gave it to me because I restore all kinds of old stuff so I decided it was time to do a chainsaw. The problem I am currently working out is that even though the saw is all complete and pretty nice the ignition coil is shot so I am trying to find one that will fit.

I have a parts saw with a coil but need a wrist pin bearing. I'd guess there has to be some one closer than me to you with parts. I'm quit a way up Manitoba Canada.

Yeah I figure there must be a coil out there somewhere though I haven't had any luck yet. I am currently working on a couple ideas for a way to replace the coil with other alternatives as well, eventually I will either find one or get something to work.

I have part of an 015 rear handle sitting in my shop taking up space. Feels like it has good compression, haven't put a gage on it. Let me know if you need/want it, as I don't have anything in it and would like to get it out of the way.

I have part of an 015 rear handle sitting in my shop taking up space. Feels like it has good compression, haven't put a gage on it. Let me know if you need/want it, as I don't have anything in it and would like to get it out of the way.

Yeah I would probably be interested, with another partial saw I could probably put together another nice complete saw. Not sure on the logistics of getting it up here to Northern Michigan. Let me know what you want for it; it would be nice to get my other one running.

Latest posts

Back