What's On Your Bench? 2/15/13

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Husky 365 that dies when you point it nose down in about 2 seconds.

Craftsman 55cc that starts well, idles well, no change in RPM'S with saw in any position.

I know, needs pressure/vac test but does this symptom seem to indicate anything particular to anyone?

Cuts good 1st cut, 2nd cut boggs a little and by 3rd cut tries to die unless you give it 30 seconds then rinse and repeat. Runs great WOT?

Low side jet clogged?

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

For the Craftsman, could be a tank venting issue too. Also, the fuel line could have a leak in it. Same with the impulse line if that saw has one. Finally..........the pump side diaphragm in the carb could be going out and/or there could be crap (water, sawdust, etc) on the screen in the carb.

My Husky 365 that dies when you point it nose down in about 2 seconds.

Craftsman 55cc that starts well, idles well, no change in RPM'S with saw in any position.

I know, needs pressure/vac test but does this symptom seem to indicate anything particular to anyone?

Cuts good 1st cut, 2nd cut boggs a little and by 3rd cut tries to die unless you give it 30 seconds then rinse and repeat. Runs great WOT?

Low side jet clogged?

Sounds more to me like a partially clogged fuel filter or a slightly bad tank vent.

He couldn't handle me. Be one dead hillbilly :)

Hillbilly would be a compliment. We already saw the video of you assaulting him... :laugh:

[video=youtube;z2OWxqvchGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2OWxqvchGU[/video][/QUOTE]

...or were you extracting revenge for the other assaulted critters? :bowdown:

Last edited:
Yesterday a poulan 306a arrived. What a pain in the azz. Needs everything.:help:

I got the carb in the mail. Thanks a lot. It's sitting next to my degree wheel and waiting on a intake to show up. From the looks of it I'll have maybe one or two days to get it ready for the GTG. I've got to fab up a new top cover yet. But that won't take me long it's going to be made out of fiberglass. It'll take me a day to port it and all that good stuff. Can we say sick day this week ?:hmm3grin2orange:

Stihl 039

Picked it up at the flea market this morning (Stihl 039). Lots of compression, obviously not scored (but I took the muffler off for 100% assurance). The back handle/top cover is cracked like it may have been dropped). Therefore, I am looking for a nice matching pair -- back handle/top cover and filter box. Happy Easter!

I got a few parts kicking around.

Thanks Chris. What i meant by everything, is the usual. Fuel lines, seals, carb kit, etc... Saw is in really good shape otherwise. Still got the paint on it even.:msp_tongue:

Thanks Chris. What i meant by everything, is the usual. Fuel lines, seals, carb kit, etc... Saw is in really good shape otherwise. Still got the paint on it even.:msp_tongue:

Yeah I wish Poulan would have taught Pioneer how to paint saws.
I picked up a parts saw and a runner last weekend plus I already had a project saw, so now I got 2 1/2 of them.

Okay, update on the Craftsman is found the intake boot spring that holds it to the air filter old and loose letting in lots of sawdust probably clogging the carb up. Removed and cleaned the carb. Managed to break the end piece to the throttle cable. Looks like lead. What will fix this best? JB Weld?

Photo
teny9u2e.jpg

Okay, update on the Craftsman is found the intake boot spring that holds it to the air filter old and loose letting in lots of sawdust probably clogging the carb up. Removed and cleaned the carb. Managed to break the end piece to the throttle cable. Looks like lead. What will fix this best? JB Weld?

Photo
teny9u2e.jpg

A replacement part. What saw is this again?

black 2005 55 cc craftsman. Throttle cable end

You can't order one of those from the Sears? I don't think thats a Poulan, IIRC.

Plenty of them around that are still runners, oil pumps go out an the saw still runs fine. Oil pumps are NLA.

You can't order one of those from the Sears? I don't think thats a Poulan, IIRC.

Plenty of them around that are still runners, oil pumps go out an the saw still runs fine. Oil pumps are NLA.

I had one of those saws and the pump went out on it. Believe me the parts are NLA. I think MTD made the saws for Sears and McCulloch. I tried all three places and they don't have anything. I sold my saw on ebay for parts.

I had one of those saws and the pump went out on it. Believe me the parts are NLA. I think MTD made the saws for Sears and McCulloch. I tried all three places and they don't have anything. I sold my saw on ebay for parts.

Hit up a lawn place, I know that those can be had as a replacement for the end of a cable. Never use them, the place I tinker at always just replaces the whole cable. If the end breaks, its not because of the end 99% of the time, its the cable thats messed up.

That sounds like the deal on them I remember also, AP, I think its a Jeng Feng or whoever deal makes them for Modern Tool and Die.

Hit up a lawn place, I know that those can be had as a replacement for the end of a cable. Never use them, the place I tinker at always just replaces the whole cable. If the end breaks, its not because of the end 99% of the time, its the cable thats messed up.

That sounds like the deal on them I remember also, AP, I think its a Jeng Feng or whoever deal makes them for Modern Tool and Die.

I don't know about the cable but if the oiler pump fails on them you'd be very lucky to find one..

Latest posts

Back