What's on your bench?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opps, I forgot to mention that I pressure tested and it is golden. Not a drop at all in both pressure and vac tests. I almost think it was something to do with the fit of the piston. It never felt quite right even when brand new (Meteor piston on a 036 cylinder, which had never been cleaned up). I got the saw from Wes (scored 034 with torn intake boot) and made it into a 036. So I'm thinking cold seize (highly doubt it) or piston fit problems. Everything else looks and tests out to be fine.:confused:

Did you check the ring end gap and skirt-to-cylinder clearance prior? I haven't had a failure yet in the 20 or so Meteor pistons I've used. I did a side-by-side comparison in a 460 with a new Meteor piston and a new Stihl piston. All measurements were exactly the same. Fit in the bore and skirt clearance was the same for both pistons as was the ring end gap.

I still gotta tear it down a little more. Lots of "rigged" nuts and bolts... Also the plug wire is cracked and frayed... can a new one be installed/spliced on the ignition?

I have yet to even pull the ignition system off and even look at it.

Gary

Those ignition leads are epoxied in...I have extra ignitions so you're welcome to one.

Got to work on the 4200 for a little while today. Got the bottom end back together, jug on and the carb rebuilt. I decided screw the paint, this ones going to get run.

Tell me these don't have one of the coolest stock mufflers around.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jonsered 2036

I had a Jonsered 2036 on my bench about 15 min. today hand filing the
chain. I had one of my friends up in the bucket of his tractor.
Little Johnny was putting a out lot of sawdust, but still cut,
even the way he forced it.
I felt sorry for the saw, not the owner.

Did you check the ring end gap and skirt-to-cylinder clearance prior? I haven't had a failure yet in the 20 or so Meteor pistons I've used. I did a side-by-side comparison in a 460 with a new Meteor piston and a new Stihl piston. All measurements were exactly the same. Fit in the bore and skirt clearance was the same for both pistons as was the ring end gap.

No I did not. I have the replacement meteor in my garage. It has a small amount of flash on the skirt edge. Nothing that a little filing will fix, but it has me wondering. I don't really think this was the problem my first time around though, the scoring is directly on the exhaust port side.

The 372 is done, and out the door. Had to jump another 372 up in front of everything else, but it's done too. Started on the 7900 this evening. Pulled the muffler off to find out what was ratteling around in there, had to cut it in half. The end of the baffle (where it turns down) had broken off. :dizzy: Never seen that before. Oh well, might as well open her up a little while I've got it cut in half. I'll weld her back up tomorrow evening, and then on to the 064.

Andy

Poulan KD-100, Year 1959, 68cc

Well its done now.
I took it apart and cleand it up. Gave it a carb kit new fuel lines and filter.
Needed to take the oil pump apart and clean it to get it to work.
Changed the sprocket from 7/16 to 3/8 pitch. Removed the jug and
honed it. The piston had light scoring and rings were a little tight.
Cleaned out the ring groves and revoed the scoring on the piston
Set it up with this clearing bar. I have not started it yet.

cut307.jpg

cut308.jpg

cut292.jpg

cut295.jpg

cut299.jpg

cut301.jpg

cut302.jpg

Eventhough I'm coming late to the show I have a 262, an 028 WB, and an 026 pro arctic on the bench right now.

Mac daddy

My wife is an early sleeper so after I put her to bed, I'm going to take apart this tiny MAC 110 and fix a leaky carb gasket. Right now it's spewing gas but it's got great compression, it's like new. Sprucing it up for my dad. He got it from a guy who bought 5 chains for it and never sharpened any of them, just bought a new one when the old one got dull. I figure it will come in handy if his everyday saw ever gets stuck and needs to be cut out.

attachment.php

here is one I found a few days ago. remington SL7. was covered in grease but cleaned up fairly well. fired and ran ok but is missing manual oiler and does not auto oil as yet.

its 95cc and acres site said it came with up to 41" bar. I could only find a 38" that would fit.. I installed a new roller nose on bar today and then cut a 404 to fit because it had a 404 on it and acres said it was 404 original..

as soon as I tightened the chain I quickly noticed it did not roll.. this had a 3/8 sprocket so back to the chain pile I went.

ended up cutting a new 3/8 .063 full comp cheisel to fit the 38" bar.

just need to fix oiler now.

CIMG3584.jpg

CIMG3583.jpg

this thing did not look much bigger than an XL 12 so I never paid much notice to it till I saw the 95cc on the side. has a comp release that also sets the high idle at the same time.. works pretty good.

here it is next to an XL 925 homey.
CIMG3540.jpg

CIMG3542.jpg

Got my beloved MS440/460 torn down for a popup piston. Squish was .023 without a gasket, so will gain .005 taking that down to .018. Then it looks like we'll be able to do a .040 popup on top of that. While we're at it, we're going to take enough off the base to allow me to be able to run a factory gasket again. I'll still have more than .250 base thickness. Compression was 168 before teardown. I'm hoping for 180-185.

a little mcculloch

Picked up a mac refurb eager beavirous 2.1 for ten bucks at the scrap metal guys.. Got it running by merely placing a spark plug in it, but shut it off fast when I noticed (hard to miss) fuel leaking out all over.... No idea if this has a separate tank or a built in tank yet. I actually was on my way to go finish tearing it down when I saw this thread. I work in the winter in our greenhouse, makes it kinda nice. In the summer I drop the tailgate and work outside on that or around the truck, that's where the tools live and I park next to the well house wherein lives the compressor for air blasting off crud purposes (I don't do that inside the greenhouse).

Under the bench in the greenhouse I have some basket cases that all need various stuff, a homie x-something that needs a new cylinder head, the threads are stripped for the plug and no helicoil action has worked for long, blows the plug out, a husky 55 rancher that needs a new p/c and maybe all the seals and whatnot, who knows, most likely, an ancient green machine that doesn't oil but last I parked it it started up just fine, and a homie xl that I have no idea why it won't run yet, haven't touched it yet...paid 20 clams for it well-used years ago, ran the pizzazz out of it, I mean for a tiny saw I cut a LOT of wood with that thing, one day it would never start and I just went and bought a new 137 husky because I was sitting on some spare cash at the time, figured I had more than gotten my dinero's worth out of that homie.

I've got parts of way too many saws on the bench right now. But, of what you can recognize, I've got a DA/KA-211 that just needs cleaning,paint, and tune-up and a Poulan 52 motor that needs bearings and a clutch to be found from ????????. Oh and a Neptune Mighty-Mite 1.7HP outboard from the sixties
that only needs better weather and I'd try it on my canoe.
Igpoe:cheers:

Right now? Hmmm let's see: There are 2 homelite c-51's in complete tear-down. One has a smoked P&C, the other has a broken crank. Gonna combine the two to make one runner.
There is also a Mac47, that i am currently trying to decipher exactly how to fuel system works,and get it to actually work,(talk about a weird design).
There is also my "wildthing" project.

Under the bench, on a wooden shelf, there is a Remington SL-5,a Mac250, a Pioneer 2270, a Lombard 35, and a Sears U4G.

Right now my 2165 because of a gummed up oil pump shaft and a stripped pump drive gear. Over a year ago I bought some of that Green Earth bio bar oil, what a mistake. All that $hit did was corrode and gum up almost everything it touched. I’ll tell ya one thing once the drive gear is stripped on a locked up shaft they’re a biatch to get off. Finally got the drive off (in multiple pieces) and the pump shaft cleaned up and back together.

attachment.php

MS460 resurected from the scrap heap, complete rebuild from the crank on up, porting the P@C and MM , waiting on clutch side seal, brake band and clutch springs.

Pioneerguy600

Next on list,another 044 to 046 conversion.

Latest posts

Back