What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was pondering how to get the bolt holes located perfectly since the threaded holes are behind it. hard to get accurate measurements off an imperfect casting. had an idea and took a couple of bolts to my lathe. held the plate in place and smacked it with a plastic hammer. now I need to find a couple of slotted, round head machine bolts to be period correct. :)
PXL_20240102_162228478.MP.jpgPXL_20240102_162445164.MP.jpgPXL_20240102_165501579.MP.jpgPXL_20240102_164353250.MP.jpg

was pondering how to get the bolt holes located perfectly since the threaded holes are behind it. hard to get accurate measurements off an imperfect casting. had an idea and took a couple of bolts to my lathe. held the plate in place and smacked it with a plastic hammer. now I need to find a couple of slotted, round head machine bolts to be period correct. :)
Since you have a lathe it wouldn't take long to make a couple round head screws from those hex heads. I checked, and while there isn't quite enough meat in the hex heads to make standard round heads, I doubt anyone's going to call you out on the difference.

Since you have a lathe it wouldn't take long to make a couple round head screws from those hex heads. I checked, and while there isn't quite enough meat in the hex heads to make standard round heads, I doubt anyone's going to call you out on the difference.
yup, not hard at all but if I can find something period that would be preferable. thanks!

yup, not hard at all but if I can find something period that would be preferable. thanks!
If you can't find them locally; if they're 3/8-16; if 1" is long enough; and you don't mind plated, I have a couple here I'd send you. (Lots of ifs there...) I'm sure McMaster, and others, will have them, but probably plated as well, and the shipping is likely to be more than a pack of screws. You're probably aware, but muriatic acid (HCl, pool acid) will remove the plating quickly if it comes to that.

So I got my 254xp on the bench last night, needing a new clutch cover as mines cracked fairly bad 👎🏼 been looking around and it’s not a part I’ve came across much yet in my searches, but was sizing it up, and had an old 50/51/55 brake cover in the parts locker that might be a possible contender to modify the back top corner to fit right on. Lines up perfect over the studs and clutch but the back top corner isn’t angled like original.
Has anyone ever done this before? Or know of anyone who has? I know it’s plastic compared to the original mag cover, but it’s a saw I wanna have in use and I’d run a plastic cover 🤷🏻‍♂️ but before I cut a perfectly good cover up I’d like to see if it would be a waste of my time lol

C822029C-7EE1-4BF9-9715-24AA96C670AD.jpeg

So I got my 254xp on the bench last night, needing a new clutch cover as mines cracked fairly bad 👎🏼 been looking around and it’s not a part I’ve came across much yet in my searches, but was sizing it up, and had an old 50/51/55 brake cover in the parts locker that might be a possible contender to modify the back top corner to fit right on. Lines up perfect over the studs and clutch but the back top corner isn’t angled like original.
Has anyone ever done this before? Or know of anyone who has? I know it’s plastic compared to the original mag cover, but it’s a saw I wanna have in use and I’d run a plastic cover 🤷🏻‍♂️ but before I cut a perfectly good cover up I’d like to see if it would be a waste of my time lol

View attachment 1141146

Genuine secondhand parts are not getting any more prevalent than they already are- if you are going to hack and chop parts to fit- use aftermarket ones.
I am sure if you look not too hard there will be secondhand 254,257 or 262 genuine clutch covers out there, maybe with busted brake flags or something that you could transfer parts over from your own.

Genuine secondhand parts are not getting any more prevalent than they already are- if you are going to hack and chop parts to fit- use aftermarket ones.
I am sure if you look not too hard there will be secondhand 254,257 or 262 genuine clutch covers out there, maybe with busted brake flags or something that you could transfer parts over from your own.
You’re not wrong, I should keep it uncut and keep looking before I do anything I’d regret if I needed it down the road 🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s so tempting though hahaha

Funny thing is I looked again just now for a cover, here it’s listed as new aftermarket for 254/257/262, but it clearly looks like an aftermarket 50/51/55 plastic cover with the back top corner literally cut off…. Or so it seems to me anyway, oh the things some people try and sell 🤦🏻‍♂️
The last pic is super zoomed in on the suspected cut corner 😂

E2C3FE83-51BC-4285-B3DE-EF6B6D07DBA7.jpeg019D23B0-EF07-4F93-97EB-B4F058B76A8E.jpeg97478676-306C-4F0D-94CE-46741D10D9B9.jpeg

Funny thing is I looked again just now for a cover, here it’s listed as new aftermarket for 254/257/262, but it clearly looks like an aftermarket 50/51/55 plastic cover with the back top corner literally cut off…. Or so it seems to me anyway, oh the things some people try and sell 🤦🏻‍♂️
The last pic is super zoomed in on the suspected cut corner 😂

View attachment 1141267View attachment 1141268View attachment 1141269

Yes- and look where the store is based.
The same "totally honest and up front guy" also tries to sell Jonsered 625-670 clutch covers and brakes that are obvious 61-272 aftermarket cheap as chips cut down and rattle can spray painted red!

Yes- and look where the store is based.
The same "totally honest and up front guy" also tries to sell Jonsered 625-670 clutch covers and brakes that are obvious 61-272 aftermarket cheap as chips cut down and rattle can spray painted red!
Ouch 🤦🏻‍♂️ one site to add to the list of “stay away from” then I reckon 😂

Latest posts

Back