What's on yur saddle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
NYSawBoss was telling me what he carried on his saddle, and I was wondering about everyone else. This has been discussed before, but I don't recall a thread devoted to it.

On my right side I have a 12 ft lanyardwith a Gibbs, my climbing rope, and my handsaw. And my smokes/lighter.
On my left is my 200.

Thats Zen Climbing for ya!
;)

8' steel core w/micrograb on left.

Figure eight, redirect sling, extra hitch cord and pulley, 2-3 biners, 4' web sling, cmi pulley etc. on rear. This may change depending on what I'm doing. I may add more or take some out. 020 goes on right or left depending on which side I make a cut on last. Handsaw is on right if I take it.

Nalgene bottle on back if it's hot.

My flipline and micrograb go on my right dee. The Echo goes on the right fixed caribiner via a bungee lanyard.

My climbing line goes on my left fixed 'biner and an extra steel biner goes on the back left ring. I also have a Gerber gator in its sheath on the back of my saddle belt. There's only been two occasions that I needed it up the tree, but when I did it was great to have it.

The zubat goes in a leg scabbard. I never leave the ground without it.

TT

left side is 9' lanyard tied with a prussic with bulldog and zubat rightside nothing, in the rear I have one 8 oz throw ball on a tiny little biner. What more could you want?

petzl grillon on right side,zubat on left.that's it,apart from rope in the middle:D

Butch, how do you walk from tree to tree without tripping on your lanyard? Anything over 10’ and I have to hold it while walking.

10’ lanyard, Zubat, figure 8, water bottle (my design), friction saver, Petzl Shunt (for footlock or double TIP), pulley with biner and braided loop runner, saw leash. All that and my saddle weigh only 9 lbs. The same as my climbing saw.

Front, two krabs. Right side, laynyard. Right side rear, 2 4' loop runners. Center rear, figure 8 with krab. left side, Echo 341. right leg, 13" hand saw.

Sometimes, I switch things around depending on what I'm doing in the tree.

In on the 1st page!

Lanyard on right or left. Handsaw on right. Anything else I need for that specific situation goes on the left.

12 ft lanyard and zubat on the right side. Figure 8 and extra triple lock biner in the back. Occasionally a 4 ft loop runner or two depending on the job. Echo 340 on the left side. Usually one extra misc non locking biner on there somewhere just in case.

Oh, except that yesterday my Zubat scabbard broke (the piece of poop clip thingy) while I was timming above some dense vines and underbrush. Couldn't fine the darn thing to save my life.:angry:

Oh well, I guess this gives me the opportunity to try out the new Silky Tree Tiger handsaw.

Edit: Crap! Just looked at the Silky forum and saw that the TreeTiger and even the new scabbard for the Zubat won't be available until the end of October. I gotta have a handsaw now! Shucks, I was hoping for a new tool.

Last edited:
11 ft lanyard on right with tail daisy-chained. Handsaw and scabbard also on right along with a couple of 'biners and a 9 ft piece of 3/8ths rope with eyesplice on one end (girthhitched in the middle so that it hangs short).

Center rear: locking biner and figure eight

Left : chainsaw on a 4.5ft lanyard The lanyard is set up so that I can clip short, let the saw hang (for blocking down a spar) or unclip the saw.

Left side; Zubat, some web loops with biners, and a figure-8.
Right side; My 18' lanyard with a VT Knunt hitch, (coiled to a standard lanyard length with a version of the gasket hitch.):D Also, a place for the climbing chain saw and bungee when I need it and a few xtra biners.

I'm going to start taking my small throw bag pouch for bigger, spreading trees.

Jack

Originally posted by rborist1
Am I the only one who carries a first aid kit on my belt? Whats up with you guys...................:confused:

Thanks, I keep forgeting to get one. Next order.

Jack

Leon, The 3/8ths is for the stuff that Brian uses looprunners for. A slung 'biner redirect. Catching a large piece so that you can grab w/both hands to pitch it out etc. On some trees I'll carry several of those and use them to lower stuff and recover my rope (working alone without someone to untie knots) just leave the slings and 'biners on the ground and pull one end of the lowering rope through. In the right situation they work for zip lining branches to the gate too.

Rocky,

I think those first aid kits are for ground crew to assist you after rescue of something 'bad'.

Come to think of it, ..., I work alone most of the time. What good would it be? Oh well, I'll still get one.

Last week a was working with a fist of napkins to keep the Zubat cut from running blood down the rope.:rolleyes:

Jack

Hey
12ft steel core with a microascender on my left.
Corona on my right.
2 loop runners with a screwgate aluminum biner on each, one is 6 foot and one is 4 foot.
Later
John

Latest posts

Back