What's the best stihl fire wood saw for the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best stihl firewood saw

Votes: 32 28.8%

Votes: 29 26.1%

Votes: 12 10.8%

Votes: 9 8.1%

Votes: 29 26.1%

• Total voters
Pinched my 028 in a tree today that tried to fall the wrong way. I almost called 911 I wasn't sure it was going to make it. Pulled that tree down with a rope and my two hands to save my 028. If it were my husky I would have grabbed another saw and ended it.
If you would have used your Husqvarna to start with, it would not have pinched. Cuts so fast, no time to get pinched.:hi::hi::laughing:

I have an 046 Mag and a ms260 I bought the MS260 because the o46 as nice as it is get heavy at the end of the day. Well the ms260 when running is great - but its a "may start" saw - sometimes it runs all day - sometimes it won't start - sometimes it will run a tank of fuel and not start - its a POS The 046 will start on 2nd pull after sitting for 6 months and run like the day i got it. I run a 28 inch bar on it and cut oak like butter. I like the older saws better

I have both the ms290 and ms362. Both are almost exactly alike in size and weight. The 290 is a great saw, but the 362 is a better saw. More power allows you to put a little more pressure during a cut, and that makes it cut faster. The 290 cuts just fine, but it will bog down if you put too much pressure during a cut.
More power means you have to keep a better grip during operation and kick backs are more violent when or if they occur. I like both saws, but if I could only have one, I would keep the 362 over the 290.

I have both the ms290 and ms362. Both are almost exactly alike in size and weight. The 290 is a great saw, but the 362 is a better saw. More power allows you to put a little more pressure during a cut, and that makes it cut faster. The 290 cuts just fine, but it will bog down if you put too much pressure during a cut.
More power means you have to keep a better grip during operation and kick backs are more violent when or if they occur. I like both saws, but if I could only have one, I would keep the 362 over the 290.

The 290 with the bigger p/c really handles a 20 inch bar nicely. It's not a really fast cutter but wont bog in hard wood if you lean on it. I cut down and cut up an ash tree about 24 inches or so at the base with mine after the upgrade and it was not a problem. It's a thirsty saw though. I'd like to use an 036 or some variation to see what it's like.

The 290 with the bigger p/c really handles a 20 inch bar nicely. It's not a really fast cutter but wont bog in hard wood if you lean on it. I cut down and cut up an ash tree about 24 inches or so at the base with mine after the upgrade and it was not a problem. It's a thirsty saw though. I'd like to use an 036 or some variation to see what it's like.

Mod saws don't count. Gotta be stock to qualify.

Just a fun question if not a stihl then which saw? I'm saying the 028 026 or 290 is most popular for homeowners who cut firewood.

Take one saw to fell a tree limb a tree and cut it all up witch one would it be?

The average home owner is not going to mod there saw for basic firewood work. Your post said (home owners) not pro's.

The average home owner is not going to mod there saw for basic firewood work. Your post said (home owners) not pro's.

Idk if I agree with that. I'm no pro. I have a bunch of tools in the garage and had a blown up saw. My dad helped me he's a retired auto mechanic. I researched the how to on the site here and ordered the parts. I burn about 3 cords a year. I'm no pro chainsaw guy just a homeowner. I usually fix all my own stuff and do all my house work.

Idk if I agree with that. I'm no pro. I have a bunch of tools in the garage and had a blown up saw. My dad helped me he's a retired auto mechanic. I researched the how to on the site here and ordered the parts. I burn about 3 cords a year. I'm no pro chainsaw guy just a homeowner. I usually fix all my own stuff and do all my house work.

I do an average of 50 cord a year and still run all stock saws. Stock saws seem to do the job I ask of them.

I do an average of 50 cord a year and still run all stock saws. Stock saws seem to do the job I ask of them.

My modding is usually just a muffler mod if it needs it. But if I'm rebuilding a saw I try to take advantage of making it bigger.

Yes I'm not talking about a ported bored out crazy modded saw. That's not your average firewood cutters saw but if something breaks some people fix it. So I wouldn't say a fire wood saw needs to be completely stock. Anyone can do the basic muffler mod and retune. A lot of people can do a rebuild with YouTube now a days.

My modding is usually just a muffler mod if it needs it. But if I'm rebuilding a saw I try to take advantage of making it bigger.

Yes I'm not talking about a ported bored out crazy modded saw. That's not your average firewood cutters saw but if something breaks some people fix it. So I wouldn't say a fire wood saw needs to be completely stock. Anyone can do the basic muffler mod and retune. A lot of people can do a rebuild with YouTube now a days.

If I was rebuilding one then yes a few mods would be in order.

Latest posts

Back