What's the best stihl fire wood saw for the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best stihl firewood saw

Votes: 32 28.8%

Votes: 29 26.1%

Votes: 12 10.8%

Votes: 9 8.1%

Votes: 29 26.1%

• Total voters
my favorite stihl is the ms 261,, I love my dolmar 51o5,,, I have 2 of them, for firewood mostly BUT I will admit that the shihl ms 261 is a bit better, it has more power and is lighter, its more money though, I used my friends 261 1 day for about 8 hours it really impressed me.
Dave, I just bought a MS 261 C-M off of Craigslist about 4 months ago.
I run .325 square chisel on 16" bar, and it really slings the chips and is more than formidable than I ever imagined...it's light weight & efficiency is hard to beat.

Dave, I just bought a MS 261 C-M off of Craigslist about 4 months ago.
I run .325 square chisel on 16" bar, and it really slings the chips and is more than formidable than I ever imagined...it's light weight & efficiency is hard to beat.[/QUOTE,..4firewood IMO Itcant be beat for power and comfort especially if you do firewood for part of your living like me. the dolmar 5105 or now the Makita whatever,, is close and I just got my 2nd one for 399$ cdn not sure but maybe 340$ us I also got a new echo 590 timberwolf for $376 cdn. money,,I just could not turn down those prices last November ive never seen those low prices again, and I heard about themon this site

You absolutely, positively can't get by with one saw, no matter what brand - Ever got out to a job and one wouldn't start? Or pull the cord out on the first yank? How about bound one up so bad in a cut you needed a second to get it out? O man, crap happens, you know? Got to be prepared!

when I was A KID 50 some odd years ago, I helped Dad cut firewood, we sold it for 5 bucks a load. He would give me 25 cents a load. We would get 5 or 6 loads a day depending on where we had to take it. Dad only had a Poulan 47 ,axe, maul and wedges. So you can make it with one saw;)

I don't cut far away from the house do 1 saw is fine but I usually bring 2 unless I'm walking in the woods. Then I usually carry a small poulan. I know not a stihl. If I'm cutting down a decent size tree and cutting it up I bring 2 or 3 saws.

I was a 1 saw man for a while me and my box store husky did it all.

My first NEW saw was Stihl's MS291. The reason I bought it was that it is a 55cc saw so it can handle most common sized firewood cutting plus it was a great deal at $480 with the wood pro kit(case, oil, gloves and even a hat).
I do own a Stihl 044 Magnum (bought used) and its nice to cut larger and for noodling, but it's way heavier and you'll notice that by the end of a long day. I would chose the MS291 again for all the same reasons.

Yup, ms361 if I could only have one saw. arguably the best saw Stihl ever made.
I agree but my dolmar 5105 is a very close runner up just a tad more weight with the dolmar but the jam is the same IMO IM IN the firewood biz 6 months a year. and I have 2 friends with the 361 and ive used it a fair bit here in bc Canada the 361 is $225.00 more though

My favorite firewood saw is my 660 with 25" bar, then I just bought a MS170 for $159. It seems to be worth it. So, if you average a 660 and a 170, that comes to 830, divided by 2 equals 415. I don't think they make an MS415, so, I'd vote for the 036 or 044, Joe

I have a 026 a 261c a 036 ported a 361. Ported a 044 ported a 044 046 hybrid ported a o20t and a 064 they all have there purpose but my go to saw is my ported 036 or my ported 361. Allmost every time you just cant beat a 60 cc saw its a perfect midrange saw like @Ryan'smilling stated

I agree with the 60cc saw. Best size for anything. Anyone want to buy a 290 made into a 390 so I can get an 036? Lol my 290 does an awesome job but I can only imagine what a real pro 60cc saw is like. My 028 is pretty awesome too. That's my pair of firewood saws.

My favorite firewood saw is my 660 with 25" bar, then I just bought a MS170 for $159. It seems to be worth it. So, if you average a 660 and a 170, that comes to 830, divided by 2 equals 415. I don't think they make an MS415, so, I'd vote for the 036 or 044, Joe

I did the Snelling upgrade to an adjustable carb with muffler mod on a ms170. Woke it up nicely. Good lightweight inexpensive saw for limbing and trail clearing.

W

I did the Snelling upgrade to an adjustable carb with muffler mod on a ms170. Woke it up nicely. Good lightweight inexpensive saw for limbing and trail clearing.

W
Since I got my left knee replaced I don't do much climbing, but I needed a little saw to replace my little Echo 305. I've been happy with this one, might look into the mods, Joe.

I always have my 260,361 and 371 with me when I’m cutting. They get used the most in that same order.

Back