What's the current favorite lightweight bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. I’ve been wanting to pick up a few of the regular superbars but nothing is available right now. I’d like a 20” superbar for my 545 Mark II but no dice. Also like a 24” for my 266XP. Seems like we’re all playing the waiting game these days.
Put a Cannon Narrow Kerf 20” on a MS 250 with rim sprocket Picco RS LPro it works very well

Attachments

• 469C5D54-F3BD-4FD1-8493-786B72FD13E5.jpeg
    469C5D54-F3BD-4FD1-8493-786B72FD13E5.jpeg
    829.5 KB · Views: 0
Was looking at the 2022 Stihl Product catalog today and noticed that on page 76 there are new lightweight bars listed and a note at the bottom that says "NEW GUID BAR DESIGN - In 2022, the guide bars will begin to be produced with updated modern graphic design seen above"

https://cdnassets.stihlusa.com/1645561942-2022_power_tools_and_accessories_catalog.pdf

Wonder if this product changeover is the reason Stihl light bars are unavailable.

Was looking at the 2022 Stihl Product catalog today and noticed that on page 76 there are new lightweight bars listed and a note at the bottom that says "NEW GUID BAR DESIGN - In 2022, the guide bars will begin to be produced with updated modern graphic design seen above"

https://cdnassets.stihlusa.com/1645561942-2022_power_tools_and_accessories_catalog.pdf

Wonder if this product changeover is the reason Stihl light bars are unavailable.
I wonder if the new branding patch is more smoke and mirrors?
Things are not going up in quality these days unless the price reflects that. Even then you become suspect of what else changed last week to cut costs. Just sayin'

I’m not sure those light 01-6 series bars are new, I’ve seen them on other saws for a little while. I guess they’re phasing out the old design in favor of those. Seems like stihls version of the Oregon versacut bar.

I've ran Stihl Oregon and tsumara. Thing I noticed most is how floppy the Oregon bars are. No complaints about the 28" tsumara very happy with 32 and 36 Stihls. Lot of huskies around here with Stihl LW bars seems like everybody likes them. I have a Canon super bar most rigid bar you'll ever use but heaviest as well. Thought about trying the Duralight but cost makes me say no .

20210313_120530.jpgDSC_0163.JPG20200509_121631.jpgl20201114_133211(1).jpg

Picked up 2 20" Cannon super bar's for my ported 357, and one for my 550xp. Love the bars, but they are heavier. Also run a 24" Gb titanium and a 24 inch Husqy light n tough (sugi bar painted). I like both of those bars aswell. The only real issue I have with the Cannon was that It took 10 or 11 months for them to be made.

Picked up 2 20" Cannon super bar's for my ported 357, and one for my 550xp. Love the bars, but they are heavier. Also run a 24" Gb titanium and a 24 inch Husqy light n tough (sugi bar painted). I like both of those bars aswell. The only real issue I have with the Cannon was that It took 10 or 11 months for them to be made.

I just got some Gb ti bars and they look well built and heavy. Since you have used both the GB and the Cannon bars recently could you talk about the difference in quality. The GBs look awesome and I dressed a used one so I know they’re super hard. Are Cannons worth the extra money and time? No hate, I’m just curious where the differences are.

Yeah, never jumped on that bandwagon. Show me an advantage that "outweighs" the price, like lasting twice as long, and I might bite. A few more or less ounces on a 395 means squat and what are going to gain on a climbing saw? Take a biner off your saddle and you just made up the difference.

I have no problem with lightweight bars myself, my 24in Oregon versacut is very nice on my 70cc saws. I was only curious about the difference between two premium bar brands. Personally I’m staying away from lightweight bars but that’s because they’re darned expensive right now.

Lightweight bars don't save ounces, but pounds...I've weighed them both. The saw balances a lot better and is quite a bit easier to use if you gotta do some brushing.

If I'm out falling timber, I carry just 1 saw. With a 28" lightweight, I have a manueverable enough bar to swamp out the base of a tree, yet it's long enough for most trees.

As far as what I see from production fallers, it seems like most of the local guys have or are in the process of switching over to lightweight bars.

No real difference in longevity either. They use the same sprocket nose as the standard bars. The bar rails are still steel, so the rails aren't going to wear faster. If anything, I could see lightweight bars helping put with longevity on the saw...a lost of west coast guys are running 32 and 36" bar's, that a lot of weight being supported at the studs. I figure less weight on them is a good thing.

Lightweight bars don't save ounces, but pounds...I've weighed them both. The saw balances a lot better and is quite a bit easier to use if you gotta do some brushing.

If I'm out falling timber, I carry just 1 saw. With a 28" lightweight, I have a manueverable enough bar to swamp out the base of a tree, yet it's long enough for most trees.

As far as what I see from production fallers, it seems like most of the local guys have or are in the process of switching over to lightweight bars.

No real difference in longevity either. They use the same sprocket nose as the standard bars. The bar rails are still steel, so the rails aren't going to wear faster. If anything, I could see lightweight bars helping put with longevity on the saw...a lost of west coast guys are running 32 and 36" bar's, that a lot of weight being supported at the studs. I figure less weight on them is a good thing.
A 36”Oregon LW bar is almost two pounds lighter that standard solid bar of same length .

I would not buy the cannon again, I heard all the hype so I wanted to try them. They are we build and wear extremely well. I would go with the GB Ti or Sugi Hara/Tsumura over the Cannon based on weight and price. They wear really well but not as good as the cannon. The weight is biggest factor for me, on a 20 inch bar it's not a killer but makes a difference. GB Ti compared to the Sugi or Tsumara is pretty similar, in my experience. And I got a GB cheaper than a Sugi or tsumura so I went that way will go to a GB again next bar. Plus the orange bar looks really good on my Husky's. I cut alot of maple, oak, and birch I that helps. Mostly 10 to 20 inch wood.
Side note is I did run a laser lightweight for a bit and it was good for the money aswell.

I like the new Oregon bars laminated with an aluminum center plate.
That's how lightweight composites fabrication is made (Carbon/glass fiber in a sandwich with a lightweight compression resistant material as a core). Makes for high stiffness and light weight.

Latest posts

Back