Whats the difference in a Stihl 028 WB and a 028 AV wood Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musclenut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

I was looking for an old rebuildable saw that had more power than my 024 and happened to pick up a pare of 028s for $20. One is a 028 WB serial #210889668. The other is a 028 AV Wood Boss serial #213769881. The fella I bought them from said he was going to combine the two to make one that would run. The WB has 140 lbs compression on the 5th pull but is missing the muffler and the handle. The AV Wood Boss is complete but has a scored piston. The cylinder has just a couple of aluminum deposits no scratches. Neither came with a bar and chain. What is the difference between the two, and which is the best model? I was actually looking for a 029 Super. Will a 028 Super cylinder fit a 28, or will a 029, or 29 Super cylinder maybe fit.

Thanks

About the only diff is the tag, they are both the same, 47cc. You can put a Super p/c on there, that will make it 52cc. 029 and 290 are totally different, you have the better saw. I run a 20" with .325 RSC on my Super, softwood mostly. 17" w/.325 in hardwood would be good.

You can clean up that cylinder, and get a new piston and rings. I would just take the other set and bolt it on, you will have a running saw in less than an hour. If one has a Walbro carb, use that over the Tillotson. The later models had 4 screws to hold the starter cover on, the latest models had a side chain adjuster.

They both have walbro carbs. Last night I rebuilt the walbro carb on my 024 and found what looked like 2 diff. sized knock out pluges in the kit. What are they for. I'm sure I'll be rebuilding the carb for my 028.

I don't mess the plugs, too much hassle. Just make sure you clean them good. Pull the H and L needles spray carb through them. Wear glasses! That stuff will get in your face when you squirt through all the holes.

The cylinder with the bad piston looks a little strange inside. You can see where the rings have polished the cylinder walls but on each side of the cylinder just below the bottom 2 ports there are 2 spots the same width as the port where you can still see the original cross cuts in the wall. It looks like when the rings go below these ports the rings aren't touching the cylinder walls directly below the ports. Any ideas?

For starters I would put mising parts on saw with good comp. Get it running and make sure it is Ok. Then buy bar and chain. As for the carb, lots of times Walbro or Zama or whoever package rebuild kits that will work on more than one model carb. If your carb doesnt have them dont worry about it. :)

I don't mess the plugs, too much hassle. Just make sure you clean them good. Pull the H and L needles spray carb through them. Wear glasses! That stuff will get in your face when you squirt through all the holes.

I saw what looked like a plug the size of a pencil eraser pressed in my carb. Was that it? What is it?

Is there much of a noticable diff. in power between the 024 and 028. I cut mainly hard woods here.

Yes on eraser size plug. Its a plug to cover a part of the fuel passages. If you look you should see that is usually where a 90` turn needs to be made. Or a valve or something, Im not a carb guru.
Powerwise I cant say. I have my BIL 028,not sure if its wood boss or av,but it does fine.I wouldnt hesitate too buy one if I didnt have access to his.:clap:

They both have walbro carbs. Last night I rebuilt the walbro carb on my 024 and found what looked like 2 diff. sized knock out pluges in the kit. What are they for. I'm sure I'll be rebuilding the carb for my 028.

028 should have tillotson hu series carbs

The early 028av were 42mm with Tillotson carb, the 028wb was bumped up to 44mm, most with Walbro. The 028 Super were bumped again to 46mm, no Tilotson. Clean up the good cyl. with 400 wet/dry paper, slap good piston and new rings on her. Tune the carb. Pull cord, cut wood.

The early 028av were 42mm with Tillotson carb, the 028wb was bumped up to 44mm, most with Walbro. The 028 Super were bumped again to 46mm, no Tilotson. Clean up the good cyl. with 400 wet/dry paper, slap good piston and new rings on her. Tune the carb. Pull cord, cut wood.

so i have a 028 wb with tillotson carb.....

028AVSEQ with a muffler mod and the ports cleaned up is a bad motorscooter !!

I believe I'll get the one with good compression going firtst then re-evaluate the other.
I've seen several muffler mods on here but what is involved in cleaning up the ports? :chainsawguy:

Try the muff mod first, just open up the exit hole to about 7/16". If you want to do some porting, just widen the ports a little, maybe 1/32" to 1/16" each side. Do not raise or lower them, that will change the timing. I muff modded my Super, it's a screamer!

Wait, you have a WB, put a SUPER exhaust on it. Lots of them on Ebay. You will love the saw, may be a little heavy by todays standards, but they just feel great.

Try the muff mod first, just open up the exit hole to about 7/16". If you want to do some porting, just widen the ports a little, maybe 1/32" to 1/16" each side. Do not raise or lower them, that will change the timing. I muff modded my Super, it's a screamer!

Wait, you have a WB, put a SUPER exhaust on it. Lots of them on Ebay. You will love the saw, may be a little heavy by todays standards, but they just feel great.

I'll try that. Doesn't sound to difficult.:greenchainsaw:
I was thinking of putting a stihl .325 RM chain and a 18" blade on it. I cut a lot of dirty dead hard wood. Does this combo sound like it will work? Would it handle a 20" bar? :cool:

Latest posts

Back