Whats the difference in a Stihl 028 WB and a 028 AV wood Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will handle a 20" in green softwood, in dead hardwood I wouldn't go bigger than 18". Dirty wood, Semi-chisel will hold an edge a lot longer than full chisel. Put an 18" with Stihl .325 semi-chisel on it, you will be happy.

While rebiulding these saws I have found many differences between the 2 models. The mufflers on the 2 saws are not the same. A Wood Boss Muffler can be made to fit a WB. You have to wire the top portion of the muffler to the bottom. The Flywheel covers are different. One cover has 3 holes the other has 4. This makes the cases a little diff. The muffler mount holes are in differnet spots as well. The oilers are different. It appears if you replace the entire olier unite you can use either oiler on either saw but you can't switch sprockets from one olier to another. The WB in my opinion has a better oiler. The chain brakes are completely different as well. The Wb appears to be built stronger but the Wood Boss seems to be made a littler lighter. The Wood Boss still seems to be just as reliable. The air intake hose and oiler gaskets seem to be week spots.

I finaly got the 028 WB running. I waited 2 months for parts from cheapstilparts on e-hay that never came. After seeking paypal after him I finally got my refund from him. But any way I'm very happy with the saw it's a strong runner. Put a 18" bar with a full chisel on it. It flat cuts. It could use a new muffler though.

I wanted to fix both of them up but the deeper I got into the two saws the more parts I was missing. To fix the other I need a muffler, oiler, handle, vent tube, annular buffer set, chain cover, bar and chain, and something else I'm forgeting. If anyones got an old 028 junker let me know. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back