What's the lightest saw in the 40cc class?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, the 346 is considerably stronger than the 242XP. It did not really impress me and I sold mine. I've got a OE 346 in the Tradin' Post now.

My buddy has a 45 cc 346 in a case like new i've been trying to get off him. Can ya give me some lowdown on it compared to the 50cc? Were they reliable and how was the performance? I really never looked at the 346 due to cost but would consider this one if was truly a real performer.

Gets good reviews because a saw builder hopped one up. Not because they have been worked under daily working conditions. I'm sure that for $109 dollars you get $109 dollars worth. I have a buddy that thinks craftsmen is still craftsmen but I won't have one. Pretty much the same reason why my FIL the contactor uses milwaukee and not ryobi, more than just price. No offense i'm just not buying into this ryobi crap.

I bought a Ryobi, like it, but agree with you. I got it due to CAD and to play with muffler Mods. It is put together better than a $125 Poulan, and I am having fun with it. It will ride on my ATV to keep logging roads open on the farm. If it was to feed the bulldog (make $), I would go with a name, warranty, and dealer support.

Some of us use saws to play with, no harm in that. After 25 years of marriage:bowdown:, I need something to do when it is not hunting season.:blob2:

I bought a Ryobi, like it, but agree with you. I got it due to CAD and to play with muffler Mods. It is put together better than a $125 Poulan, and I am having fun with it. It will ride on my ATV to keep logging roads open on the farm. If it was to feed the bulldog (make $), I would go with a name, warranty, and dealer support.

Some of us use saws to play with, no harm in that. After 25 years of marriage:bowdown:, I need something to do when it is not hunting season.:blob2:

I understand and nothing wrong with that. I just see this thing being the next 361 as far as the bs factor goes and it makes me laugh. My ryobi was the 211, plasticy, new design, figured I would buy it to disprove the new line of homeowner saws but it proved me wrong. Maybe the ryobi will do the same. I repects Brads ability and wish I had the same but I know for a fact if he hadn't have posted a vid there wouldn't be any hype wahtsoever on this thing and thats what kills me. No offense Brad, just an observation and a testament to the respect people have for you.

I bought one, but not because of the video of the ported one that brad posted. I bought it because of the quality in the engine and stock performance that you get for $109 shipped with no tax. Even the crappiest poulan at walmart is like $129 + tax

My buddy has a 45 cc 346 in a case like new i've been trying to get off him. Can ya give me some lowdown on it compared to the 50cc? Were they reliable and how was the performance? I really never looked at the 346 due to cost but would consider this one if was truly a real performer.

My 346 is now sold as well as the 359. I have not really used a OE 346 other than cutting a few cookies at GTGs and tuning this one. They are said to have a peakier powerband making it more suitable as a limbing saw than the NE version. It is also a little lighter and does not have a rev limiting coil. The NE version is a little heavier and has a stronger powerband making it more useable as both a limbing saw and for bucking smaller trees. It has a rev limited coil and usually has a cat muffler. These are comments are only from reading and not my experience. This OE one I had felt quite strong in the cut with most of the bar buried. I certainly wouldn't limit it to limbing. Once modded, it's a toss up. They're both very strong runners.

I just see this thing being the next 361 as far as the bs factor goes and it makes me laugh.

Lol. That'll never happen. This little saw is way to plasticky for that to ever happen. I give it praise for its engine design alone. The saw is made in China but the engine is a quality Japanese Zenoah. My new GZ3500T was also made in China. Very plasticky too. It doesn't even have the pro style engine, but it does run strong for its size.

Lol. That'll never happen. This little saw is way to plasticky for that to ever happen. I give it praise for its engine design alone. The saw is made in China but the engine is a quality Japanese Zenoah. My new GZ3500T was also made in China. Very plasticky too. It doesn't even have the pro style engine, but it does run strong for its size.

Yeha I looked at the 359 and that was a real good deal. Didn't figure it would last long.

My 346 is now sold as well as the 359. I have not really used a OE 346 other than cutting a few cookies at GTGs and tuning this one. They are said to have a peakier powerband making it more suitable as a limbing saw than the NE version. It is also a little lighter and does not have a rev limiting coil. The NE version is a little heavier and has a stronger powerband making it more useable as both a limbing saw and for bucking smaller trees. It has a rev limited coil and usually has a cat muffler. These are comments are only from reading and not my experience. This OE one I had felt quite strong in the cut with most of the bar buried. I certainly wouldn't limit it to limbing. Once modded, it's a toss up. They're both very strong runners.

I think you got that pretty much right! :cheers:

So what is the litest 40cc saw? Where would a $140 John Deere cs40 be in this little horse race?

Gets good reviews because a saw builder hopped one up. Not because they have been worked under daily working conditions. I'm sure that for $109 dollars you get $109 dollars worth. I have a buddy that thinks craftsmen is still craftsmen but I won't have one. Pretty much the same reason why my FIL the contactor uses milwaukee and not ryobi, more than just price. No offense i'm just not buying into this ryobi crap.

At least you get $109 dollars worth, when you buy a 170 or 180 you get $100 worth of saw and $100 worth of Stihl name. Steve

So what is the litest 40cc saw? Where would a $140 John Deere cs40 be in this little horse race?

Just a quick google on it [so I'm going from specs, never used a cs40] puts it couple pounds over the MS200, but I can't remember if price already has the 200 out of the scope of this thread anyway.

At 35cc, the 200T is 7.7lbs. You might can get a little lighter but you will also get less of a saw.
The Husky 336 is also 7.7 lbs. and that includes the metal clutch cover. There are some NOS around, but they have mostly been replaced with the 339xp.

Although the 339xp weighs about 8.8 lbs., it is still a great saw at 39cc. The 336 is only 35cc.

The ms200 rear handle is more useful for most stuff it seems, unless one is climbing. I think the ms200 rear handle is a nice looking saw, would love to play with one for a day or two, even 15 minutes...;)

I just set this up recently, the sides of the bar were ground to take some of the taper out, and it is using 1/4" pitch chain. I have some fullhouse 1/4" pitch chain, that stuff is cool...I haven't used it to much yet, but will...these saws are very nice...

attachment.php

My 346 is now sold as well as the 359.
Funny, I was actually looking for a 346xp, it must have sold before I looked through the Tradin' Post last night...

I don't think I'll be unhappy with the 359 though. Of course lighter is better for a lot of stuff, but I have the 336 when I need light.

The 346xp does look like a great saw, I was almost gonna buy a new one, my local dealer quoted me $459 w/16" b/c. That seemed pretty good, but not as good as the 359 you sold me...*lol* That seems quite a bang for the buck...That ms360 looks great for the price also, was tempted over that also...either way, you sure have some nice saws you've fixed up.

Funny, I was actually looking for a 346xp, it must have sold before I looked through the Tradin' Post last night...

I don't think I'll be unhappy with the 359 though. Of course lighter is better for a lot of stuff, but I have the 336 when I need light.

The 346xp does look like a great saw, I was almost gonna buy a new one, my local dealer quoted me $459 w/16" b/c. That seemed pretty good, but not as good as the 359 you sold me...*lol* That seems quite a bang for the buck...That ms360 looks great for the price also, was tempted over that also...either way, you sure have some nice saws you've fixed up.

How does the 336 run? I looked at em briefly and they looked kinda cool and goofy at the same time. If I remember right I seen the price and walked away. It's not a poulan engine I would assume being an xp.

At 35cc, the 200T is 7.7lbs. You might can get a little lighter but you will also get less of a saw.

7.7? I think thats what my 192t weighs and my 3 yr old pretends he's cutting with, no chain of course. I looked at the specs and they have it listed as an occasional use saw at $629, wtf?

7.7? I think thats what my 192t weighs and my 3 yr old pretends he's cutting with, no chain of course. I looked at the specs and they have it listed as an occasional use saw at $629, wtf?

Stuffing power and durability into a small, light, package costs more than the materials - not sure whether $300 worth, but how many bought 361s over 290s [about the same price and cc comparison IIRC as 192 & 200]? No complaints on either here.

I'm pretty sure it was grouped with the "T"s under professional arborist when we bought it.

I can only assume Stihl marketing figured it was already popular enough with pros they could list it where ever and still hold the same market share, while putting a high power/weight pro saw in the occasional use will catch the eye of a few homeowners looking for higher quality or something light but powerful. Perhaps one of the dealers has a better idea, but that's my guess.

Back