What's the most impressive saw you've ever run?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine! The only one I have ever owned . Jonsered 2159 Yea, yea, I know I need to get out more. But I do love this saw!:rock:

Stihl 044 would be my most impressive because of its power to weight ratio, durability, and versitility. Just think about how many 044s are around today...lots! And 9 out of 10 people will say that a 044 is a great saw. Along with an impressive performance you also have to think about an impressive lifespan. Ive had a 044 for 20+ years with few repairs and its cut a lot of firewood and more! Impressive :)

I'm a 77 fan for many years. Ran 20 to 24 inch bars and cut lots of hardwood for fireplaces and wood stoves. Bought a new 288 Lite when I handed my Dad back his 77. Found this site and caught a good case of CAD after having problems with our older saws. Got a 2100 with some good compression.. Oh my. Hard on a body to crank, but a wood cutter fer sure. Been collecting parts for the 77s and 288s. Gotta support our habits... Read a lot about this and that build and such. AutoTune and new stuff.

Well, I spied an add for Mr Fluffy. He's found a home.

tossup

Pound for pound?I've got 2 ported 262's.One is a little monster.For straight up kicking ass and taking names, I'd have to go with one of my ported 394 or 395's.

An 084 belonging to a felow forum member.....stock.
OR...my beloved 044/440 hybrid...."Christine"

Ran a few impressive XP saws. Impressive was there ability to spool up. But they lack in the torque dept.

I'm a 77 fan for many years. Ran 20 to 24 inch bars and cut lots of hardwood for fireplaces and wood stoves. Bought a new 288 Lite when I handed my Dad back his 77. Found this site and caught a good case of CAD after having problems with our older saws. Got a 2100 with some good compression.. Oh my. Hard on a body to crank, but a wood cutter fer sure. Been collecting parts for the 77s and 288s. Gotta support our habits... Read a lot about this and that build and such. AutoTune and new stuff.

Well, I spied an add for Mr Fluffy. He's found a home.

He's a monster :) he will be truly missed. Could you make a video so we have something to remember? I had a chance at a near mint 77 for $500. Didn't have the cash :(

The most impressive Stock saw for small saw is the 200T, for medium is the 044, and for large is a Mac 125. but then I haven't run it against my 797 super or the two 101B's I'm puting together.

Most impressive saw ported it's my 880 and 088. Folllowed by my 372.

I've had many in my hands that were darned impressive but a few that jump to my mind are

1) Super3's 262
2) Blsnelling's hybrid 440/460
3) A certain Andyshine77 ported 372
4) The 044 and 440 belonging to wigglesworth and Super3
5) The little Mastermind ported Echo 50cc saw that was at Tlandrums gtg
6) stihlboy's piped 084
7) A little 46cc 346OE that a guy I know from Cincinatti ported.
8) The 420 Dolmar Brad Snelling ported that was at Ericjeepers gtg.
9) Arrowheads Wildthing

These are in no particular order and I could go on and on but these really stand out as saws that delivered MUCH more than I expected.

Mike

When it comes to raw power, my 088 with a 41" bar. Buried it in a big ash and it kept on throwing chips. Couldn't wipe that smile off my face for sure!

But an all-around saw, my 026 is great for how light and small it is. However, I've yet to put my freshly rebuilt MS460 into wood. I have a sneaking suspicion it will take over as my favorite all-around saw.

I was truly impressed with the torque that the Homelite 990G that Chris had at the Poulan GTG.

Last edited:
He's a monster :) he will be truly missed. Could you make a video so we have something to remember? I had a chance at a near mint 77 for $500. Didn't have the cash :(

Alas, I have no capability for vids. I too would have bought a mint 77 for $500.. before I ran saws with antivibe technology. Point is that I have ran some big, nice saws. Autotune with a good antivibe.. ported and WOW! A saw that is mad at wood. Glad that I has the cash.

Homelite XL-100

XL100b.jpg

Latest posts

Back