What's the most impressive saw you've ever run?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to run a 562xp this week end at a demo days at local dealer. It is the most impressive saw that I have ran stock. I am going to run some ported saws in april. I am going to leave most of mine home so I have some time to run some ported saws At HEDGEFEST APRIL6TH 2013.

I didnt know they let guys from Tongie on this site, and where the heck is hedgefest? You think they will let a river rat from Desoto come play. I can bring you a dcs6401 to play with. Its about the same size and I have a feeling it can keep up with those 562's.

Cool story man, glad you found your path!

I havent run that many saws yet, but for stock, my poulan s25cva never ever fails to impress me. feels like running a 50 CC saw, but it is only 38 CCs and stock. It just rips.

for strong, Josh1981s masterminded 084. Man, I want that engine on my slowped! heheheheh I wonder what it puts out for ponies, ten maybe, more, I dunno, a lot??... that thing just slap pulls..

Can't say I've found my path but I've definately walked many mile's of road looking.

262xp for me and it's not even close, It was a screamer and I had it set up to sing. In my opinion Husky never took the quality of the 90s into the 3 series and beyond. I stupidly sold that saw to my brother in law for his firewood business, he blocked 600 cords with it before it died. I must have cut 1000 cords of hardwood and pulpwood with that saw. If there is such a thing as loving a saw, then that was the one for me.:rock:

I have never operated a ported or modded saw. I am a newbie to say the least. I bought a 051 in Oct. The sound was different and the carnage left by the .404 chain was way different than the 3/8 I was used to running. I first tried noodling with it and could not believe the piles of pasta! I have recently acquired a 084, but have yet to sink it in wood.:rock:

I would love to see a Mac 125 in action. I gravitate towards the old Youtube videos of vintage muscle. The old saws really do more for me. Music to my ears! Never been much into speed, so I guess it makes sense. I teach history for a living, so I respect those who paved the way for us and also respect the tools they used.

Great thread!

Last edited:
It's a toss up between my recent builds of a Olympyk 999 and a Husky 288. They could always be outdone by the next build, but I doubt it.

Of all my old magnesium the one that impressed me the most is my first Lombard AP-42 type.

I expected it to be just another heavy old turd as no one had hardly mentioned them on the forum.

Pulling a 20" bar with 3/8" it spins way up and makes a small snow storm of chips. :D

For example, it would eat a Pioneer P-41's lunch.

Great. Another old saw that I've got to put on my 'list'. Thanks Carl.....:msp_rolleyes:

The saw that's impressed me the most so far was Ambull's Poulan Pro 655BP. Stronger than a ported MS660 that I ran on the same day (and that saw is NO slouch), and 'feels' lighter to boot. That's a 30+ year old reed valve design which gives NOTHING up to any of the modern saws.

The first time I ran a Homelite 750 and 2100 I was extremely impressed too. That was the first time I'd ran a saw bigger than 100cc. They're not much bigger/heavier than a 100cc Homelite or 103cc McCulloch......but MAN what a difference. Then years later I ran JP's 655BP...:D

Last edited:
Mine has to be my Stumpys Customs built 046 magnum. Its the strongest saw in my arsenal :msp_biggrin:

Has to be the only correctly running/tuned Sachs Dolmar KMS4 Wankel I have seen. Maybe not the greatest in power but the way it delivered it & the Smooooth ness with which it did it. In my case a never to be repeated event.

Stock, the Poulan 5500/Dolmar 144 really surprised me once I got it going. It isn't hyper-fast, but it just plain eats.

Overall, my ported 101b/125 is the King.

Last edited:
Of the saws I own, I would say Poulan 5200 & Husky 385xp. (any of the Poulan's in that series are impressive to me. 85, 77, 69cc's)

Of saws I don't own, Poulan Pro 655bp, BSnelling's ported 390xp, and RMS61Mopars's AndyShine ported 372xp.

And just for fun and plenty of NOISE!! ModifiedMark's Poulan 71A

:cheers:
Gregg,

I'll be specific on this topic.

Stock saw: hand down the 555.
Reasons: for not being a "pro" saw it sure runs like one. I've ran a 555 with a 24" with full comp on and it handled it with ease. Add the AT to the mix it's a very user friendly/low maintenance saw.

Stock appearing modded saw: mweba's iowa fall gtg 350. Woff!!

Heavily modded/ thinking out of the box saw: homelite410's 350 with a ported 359 under the hood. She scoots!

Stock old school muscle saw: 655bp. For its age I was very impressed with technology in that saw and they run hard.

Back