Whats the one saw that you will never get rid of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
husqvarna 61 rancher and 034

I am pretty green because even though I have been cutting down trees for money for 20 years it isn't my real business. Around where I live there isn't a lot of husqvarna floating around. Its all stihl. Every dealer. The couple of places that sold huskies stayed in business for a very short time. I like saws and I buy some and clean/ fix them up and sell them sometimes. So when I got a chance to buy a 026, ms260 pro, ms360 pro and this 61 rancher for a total of $400 I took it. At the time I had no real idea what the rancher was. I didn't know husqvarna had the great idea of putting the cc's right in the model or that they even had a date on them. 2 things that stihl doesn't do. I only took the husqvarna because it was part of a package and thought it was going to be the first thing I got rid of.

That was until I used it. I don't know if it has had any work done to it but I'll take this rancher over the 360 pro any day. I sold the 360. This rancher is real quick and very powerful for its size. Even though its from 1985 It seems perfect. Its a damn good saw. well worth the $100 I spent on it.

The other one I'll never get rid of is my 034 (apart now for cab work. no pictures) but thats because its very ugly and I would never get what its really worth. Its too ugly for pictures anyway. Its a good saw also as long as you don't look at it.

I am pretty green because even though I have been cutting down trees for money for 20 years it isn't my real business. Around where I live there isn't a lot of husqvarna floating around. Its all stihl. Every dealer. The couple of places that sold huskies stayed in business for a very short time. I like saws and I buy some and clean/ fix them up and sell them sometimes. So when I got a chance to buy a 026, ms260 pro, ms360 pro and this 61 rancher for a total of $400 I took it. At the time I had no real idea what the rancher was. I didn't know husqvarna had the great idea of putting the cc's right in the model or that they even had a date on them. 2 things that stihl doesn't do. I only took the husqvarna because it was part of a package and thought it was going to be the first thing I got rid of.

That was until I used it. I don't know if it has had any work done to it but I'll take this rancher over the 360 pro any day. I sold the 360. This rancher is real quick and very powerful for its size. Even though its from 1985 It seems perfect. Its a damn good saw. well worth the $100 I spent on it.

The other one I'll never get rid of is my 034 (apart now for cab work. no pictures) but thats because its very ugly and I would never get what its really worth. Its too ugly for pictures anyway. Its a good saw also as long as you don't look at it.

I just repaired a Husky 65 for a guy, that saw has some power. I was impressed by it.

I'll keep my Pioneer 620 & Ole Mac 999 plus a few more.

p-2.jpg

o.jpg

I could probably work a lot harder and get by with just the 372.

But then I don't get attached to Saws like I do firearms, Motorcycles,Tractors, and good dogs.

All of mine save a couple projects, get put to work and are just tools that can be fascinating.

Nearest thing to a saw I have been attached to, is the 262 I bought used and ran the hell out of untill it grew legs. It had "Personality" of sorts and didn't care for early morning starts, or getting left in the truck overnight.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've got two. My Mac PM10-10S, and my old Homelite XL with a 12" bar that was my mom's "trimming" saw! If I had to pick though, the Homie would stay here forever! I got her a couple of years ago when my mom passed away. She's got some hours on her, been worked pretty good over the last 25-30 yrs, but my mom was picky, and cleaned up, it still looks darned good!

Homelite XL-12, kept my family warm a lot of winters.

Then I found out about AV,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Can't remember if I replied to this thread or not, but for me it would be the only new saw m daddy ever bought (2nd in all) Jonsered 2094.

As a home owner/landowner, I'd keep the modded 361/20" ES, best all round saw made.

As a logger in these parts, modded 441/28" ES, smooth and powerful and doesn't weigh as much as a 660, LOL.

Sam

Yep, now that I own a 361, and knowing that they arent being made anymore, I will definetly be keeping this one. I can't describe the love I have for this saw.

You guys have a fun thread going here. So I'll add my story.

The saw that I will never get rid of is my first saw, Stihl 031, bought new in about 1973. Came with a twenty inch bar, case, tool set, operator's manual, two chains, and no chain brake. This was my only saw for about thenty years, and I used it for cutting firewood off of construction projects. Then I began cutting firewood from driftwood logs that washed up on the beach in storms. One evening, as it was getting dark and the tide was coming in, I was cutting a nice fresh 16 inch by 40 foot log. I suddenly realized that if my saw gave out, I would lose this prize log to the tide. The saw did not fail me but I still decided to have some backup saws. Went shopping at state surplus where the Department of Natural Resorces gets rid of their saws. The saws have mostly been used by the guys who fight forest fires and are generally in good condition. Bought a couple of 029's and an 036Pro. Prices at that time for these used saws was generally $75 each and maximum price was $125 for the bigger saws. That was the beginning of my CAD problem. Now, a couple dozen saws later, I still have these Stihl's that got me into this and they are working fine. The 031 muffler is getting rusty from the exposure to salt water but still has 165 psi compression. The only problem that I had was about twenty years ago it lost spark so the dealer convinced me to put in the Stihl electronic module that was available at that time. That solved the problem. I suppose that the hoses and seals should be replaced but as long as it is still running good, I'll probably not touch it. I did just buy some new clutch springs so will get them installed shortly. I think that the salt water is taking a toll on them.

Concerning the question about why I would not consider parting with it. I just like it. Always starts good, sounds good, idles nice, and I even like the looks of it.

The one saw I will keep definitely has to be my Super 250. It was my grandfathers, then my fathers and now mine. When I dug it out it looked like it had been stored under water, with massive amounts of corrosion from sitting out side for years. 6 months later it looks and runs like it did 30 years ago.
What it looked like when I found it.
attachment.php

After I finished it.
attachment.php

Right now I love my Husky 350,but when I get the funds to rebuild my 372,I'm sure I'd sell my 350 and never get rid of the 372(but looking at those 395's my mouth is watering at getting one too lol)

Latest posts

Back