Whats the real truth.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years back I needed a chain saw and was pointed to a fellow that worked with me and told that he sold chain saws cheap. Well last thing I wanted was a saw that was "cheap" but sure would like an inexpensive saw that was not cheap. I asked him what kind of saws he sold and he replied Husky and John Deere. I said forget the Deers but what about a Husky? He stated he could not guarantee what models he could still get but he would see. He brought in a 55, 61, 272XP and 372XP.....All in the box brand new along with all the warranty paperwork etc........The prices were $150 for the 55, $175 for the 61, $200 for the 272XP and $250 for the 372. I bought the 372 and also the 272 and told him to hold the 55 for me for a week and I would take that too. Then he said that if any warranty work needed to be done to let him know, and he would handle it, and not to send in the waranty paperwork to Husky, as these saws were mainly out the back door sales, no tax etc etc and steeply discounted.......

It was not until I got the saws home and into use that I noticed that the tags with the serial numbers on them were missing, so there was no possible way to register the saws anyhow............I did buy that 55 later on, and this fella sold a heap more saws later on over the years. I find it rather impossible that they would have been stolen, as he sold just too many of them, and if some frieind of his was taking inventopry out the back door to sell and steal there was far too many saws sold over time that the business would have noticed for usre its inventory getting low. So why were these saws sold like this.........I sitll think why so cheap. I can see in a way some of the saws (272XP) was then obsolete so perhaps it was easy to disocount it, but the 372 is still made.........was the dealer possibly behind this and just trying to push Husky saws, or was it a JD dealer told to dump "other" company products or loose the JD dealership? I just do not think they were what I would say were stolen items........so what could have been the reasoning for such low prices behind them.

Is this "fellow" that you worked with a few years ago still around, or is he in the slammer??? If this happened two years ago and if he's still around, he's probably still doing this. If he's in the slammer I would forget about it and say three Hail Marys and go out out and cut a load of firewood donate it to some poor boy down on his luck and be thankful that I was not caught.

Understand. I live where Spacemule does, so you can see what you'd be eligible for under the most unforgiving treatment. As a reasonable person, I'd hope that they would not charge me if I approached them, but I don't know--and that's what makes it a question for me.

I didn't highlight this part of the statute, but it is relevant.

It is a defense to a prosecution for the offense of theft by receiving that the property is received, retained, or disposed of with the purpose of restoring the property to the owner or another person entitled to the property.

:bang: This thread should be in the "Hot Saw" section :clap: :clap:

Sounds like they might be ripped of from a regional tree service maybe A:censored:d
I bet some of them do have heated handles xpg modles to be exact:angry2: :angry2:

I'd take the backhoe and dig me some holes...deep ones.

Yep.. rinse out the gas and oil tanks as best you can and drop it off a bridge into deep water. Don't give the cops reason to look at you cross-eyed.

Ian

edit... or better yet. disassemble it down to the last washer, degrease the lot and then sling all of it into the river.

Last edited:
if it has been 2 years, i wouldnt run to the cops. who in there right mind would believe that for 2 years after the fact you just woke up and thought, umm i wonder if these saws were stolen. you had the same thought when you purchase the saws and that will bite u if you run to the law now. look at it from there point of view, "this guy has been using these saws for 2 years, only has one left and now is afraid hes going to get caught, lets throw the book at him, if he was innocent he would have come to us 2 years ago."

maybe you should just stay quiet and not be so freakin gullible next time.

The original poster has not posted again. I am smelling something.

Bill
Ha.you and a few others really are paranopid. I have alife besides posting to this forum you know. Now I am not disposing of any saws, and its well over two years ago that I acquired them...........I did talk to a person that inows and they told me flat out, unless there is a police report filed of a theft of the exact items up to the time frame of the acquisition, there is nothing that any law enforcement agency is going to do about them. As for having bills of sale etc ..not a requirement after a period of time in this state and most others..........and retaining a bill of sale is not a requirement when you get down to it.

NO I am not afraid to use the remaining saw anywhere a saw needs to be used........and I certainly would not just up and volunteer it to the police or to dump it inthe river......I am sure that 110% of you all would actually do as suggested at this stage of the game, espeically since this guy they were purchased from has never been in jail and still holds a great jpb........I seem to trust what he told me and have no reason to doubt him otherwise really. Oh and just because I may not reply to this post right away or at all from here on out does not make me a troll...........Now some of you need to go and take a few prozacs and get over your paranoia!

I run a back woods saw shop.and buy used saws sometimes,if i dont know you i require a bill of sale with your driver lisence number on it,needless to say i only buy 10% thats offered. saw theft is common anymore..........

Ha.you and a few others really are paranopid. I have alife besides posting to this forum you know. Now I am not disposing of any saws, and its well over two years ago that I acquired them...........I did talk to a person that inows and they told me flat out, unless there is a police report filed of a theft of the exact items up to the time frame of the acquisition, there is nothing that any law enforcement agency is going to do about them. As for having bills of sale etc ..not a requirement after a period of time in this state and most others..........and retaining a bill of sale is not a requirement when you get down to it.

NO I am not afraid to use the remaining saw anywhere a saw needs to be used........and I certainly would not just up and volunteer it to the police or to dump it inthe river......I am sure that 110% of you all would actually do as suggested at this stage of the game, espeically since this guy they were purchased from has never been in jail and still holds a great jpb........I seem to trust what he told me and have no reason to doubt him otherwise really. Oh and just because I may not reply to this post right away or at all from here on out does not make me a troll...........Now some of you need to go and take a few prozacs and get over your paranoia!
Is he still a saw "dealer"??? Where does he work at. Honest Johns saws shop?? I' getting low on prozac. Can he score me some??

You have zero respect from me. A thief deserves none. Somehow, it's honest folks giving you sound advice that have the problem and need to get a life, right. I can't speak for the rest of the people here, but I for one have never bought anything questionable, so your analysis of what I would do in this situation is not sound. I would not be in the situation of being a thief.

Last edited:
Another thing, I sure would like to get this guy's name, you know, to just verify his upstanding status in the local community. I'm sure the local prosecutor wouldn't mind the information either.

Bottom line- You have to answer to your maker one day. No one else can do that for you. Read the commandments- Thou shalt not Steal- just that you did not steal them directly- doesn't mean that you aren't supporting the cause/need for the supply of stolen items.

Three saw shops here got hit 4 years ago,right before Christmas, all Stihl models, average of 30-40 saws per shop... talk about a hard hit. Yes, they were insured but now premiums have gone up to offset loss ratio- While the cheap cost of stolen property is tempting, it will never pay out in the end.

Latest posts

Back