What's this saw worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre10

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My brother's girlfriend's dad passed away recently. They are selling some of his stuff and want to sell this saw. They claim it wasn't used much and that he brought it to the shop once a year for a tune up. I haven't seen it in person or anything. Just curious what you guys would value it at assuming it runs ok so they can sell it.

imagejpeg_7.jpg

imagejpeg_2_29.jpg

imagejpeg_5_2.jpg

imagejpeg_4_3.jpg

imagejpeg_2_28.jpg

imagejpeg_4_2.jpg

Clean it up and those go for $200+ and shipping on ebay for clean ones that they say run great which is always 50 50.:msp_w00t:

you guys think that's really an026 ???

couple of things don't look right to me ??

maybe i'm wrong though....

edit; i see it's an 025.......bad eyes

Last edited:
Spend 20 minutes cleaning it up and giving it a spit shine and it will bring $160 - $170 with the case and tools. Be sure to pull the clutch cover and clean behind it (and tighten the chain when it goes back together) and make sure the airbox is clean.

Spend 20 minutes cleaning it up and giving it a spit shine and it will bring $160 - $170 with the case and tools. Be sure to pull the clutch cover and clean behind it (and tighten the chain when it goes back together) and make sure the airbox is clean.

+1

Nice saw..value without checking it out..about $150-$175

Case is worth $20 for sure..so add to saw value.
:cheers:
J2F

Around the Atlanta area it would sell for about $160 in good running order. Best price would be on the bay if you write a good listing.

See, I'm thinking most guys who buy used will tend to pick up a pro saw. They probably don't mind working on it if they're buying used, so they'll do their research and figure out a pro saw is better setup for rebuilds.

To me, it seems like most people buying homeowner models like this will not even look online, nevermind buy used. They'll go to the dealer and buy a new one with a warranty and a mechanic that they can bring it to for repairs.

I could be TOTALLY off base, and usually am, but that's what has steered me away from homeowner saws to flip in the past. It may sell, but it'll be a guy like us looking for a cheapie saw to keep in the truck or something, commanding a low price point.

I haven't been watching 025/250's locally, but my guess would be it would sell (in a no-reserve auction) for $80-$100 max.

Hopefully I'm wrong and her family recoups a little money. Sorry to hear about the loss.

Average joe looking for a saw thinks that if it says stihl, that it is a pro saw. The fastest selling used saws i sell say farmboss. I would give the 025 a good cleaning and put it at $200 and sell it to the first person with $175 cash

Average joe looking for a saw thinks that if it says stihl, that it is a pro saw. The fastest selling used saws i sell say farmboss. I would give the 025 a good cleaning and put it at $200 and sell it to the first person with $175 cash

I agree 100%. Around my area, if it is a stihl, or husky, it is a "pro saw" and people pay well over what they are worth. My neck of the woods it would go fast if priced at $200.

How am I going to come out ahead paying for shipping to Norway and giving you $10? :biggrinbounce2:

:msp_biggrin: It it pretty "well known" on here that I wouldn't want one of those saws, even if free....

That is of course not 100% true, but it is what it is = a cheaply made consumer/"homeowner" saw. What i really agreed to was the upper part of his post, provided the saw is an working order.

:msp_biggrin: It it pretty "well known" on here that I wouldn't want one of those saws, even if free....

That is of course not 100% true, but it is what it is = a cheaply made consumer/"homeowner" saw. What i really agreed to was the upper part of his post, provided the saw is an working order.

I've not noticed you being overly critical or biased at all about each and every single Stihl thread on this site :deadhorse: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back