What's your favorite chainsaw file ....Nothing quite like a brand new chainsaw file for sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS - Hand filing may not be an art, but it is certainly a skill that takes time to master, and some never will.
That is why I like the Stihl 2-in-1. As one who is not working with the saw every day, I do not expect to be able to hand file as well as I should, and the 2-in-1 makes it quick and easy for anyone with even minimal skills.

I recently got a Stihl 2 in 1 and was really impressed with how well the files cut. I then ordered one from Pferd for my .325 chain. Since the Pferd product is blue and gray vs Stihl orange and gray, I can see at a glance which file I need for the chain I'm sharpening.

That is why I like the Stihl 2-in-1. As one who is not working with the saw every day, I do not expect to be able to hand file as well as I should, and the 2-in-1 makes it quick and easy for anyone with even minimal skills.

Nothing at all wrong with using a tool such as the 2-in-1 if you haven't yet become proficient at hand filing. It may even be a learning tool in teaching the proper angles etc., and building the muscle memory so that at some point, you can lay the tools and gadgets aside, grab a file and never look back.
Properly filing a saw is not really that difficult, once you know 'what' you're doing, 'why' you're doing it, and how those teeth should look when you're finished.
But it does take a lot of practice, as does any skill.
One tip I would give anyone trying to learn: I hear a lot of guys clamping their bar in a vice and stand there beside it filing. Hey to each their own, but no way I could properly file a chain that way, and besides, ain't no vices out in the woods.
For me, nothing beats setting the saw length wise on a nice size log, straddle the log, lean down with my chest lightly laying against the top of the engine for support, and then looking directly down on top of the chain, go to work.

"Made in Switzerland" always looks so nice on the package, so comforting. Did I buy one once that said that and had a brand name of "Savage"? I liked those.

So I like the Stihl ones, but the whole 13/64 vs. 7/32 battle bums me out. When I buy a chain and the nearest friendly local shop only carries Stihl chain, I make sure my supply of 13/64 is holding steady. When I buy a chain and the nearest friendly local shop only carries Oregon chain, I just cave and go with a 7/32 from them too. Plus I need those for brushsaw blades anyway.

The actual packages though ... bummer. Nothing, a bit of cardboard, or a plastic sleeve that seems oh so good at holding condensation and or drizzle or whatever, in there to stay, forever. I am hoping that the next time I can make it to the Big City, I might be so lucky as to find one of those plastic cases people from Asian countries use for carrying around a non-disposable pair of chopsticks. And I am hoping that little case might fit some chainsaw files just exactly perfectly, for the next time something like, hmmm, a big heavy chunk of wood maybe, lands on my chainsaw toolbox that lays in the back of my truck 365/24/7 and f-s up the water seal seating on it just so, so that the cold rain & snow can get in there and spawn that hated demon on my chainsaw files - RUST.

P.S. any lead on where the thread is for and about that new Husqvarna chain factory is working out would be appreciated. If they are gonna make chain - are they gonna make files?

"Made in Switzerland" always looks so nice on the package, so comforting. Did I buy one once that said that and had a brand name of "Savage"? I liked those.

So I like the Stihl ones, but the whole 13/64 vs. 7/32 battle bums me out. When I buy a chain and the nearest friendly local shop only carries Stihl chain, I make sure my supply of 13/64 is holding steady. When I buy a chain and the nearest friendly local shop only carries Oregon chain, I just cave and go with a 7/32 from them too. Plus I need those for brushsaw blades anyway.

The actual packages though ... bummer. Nothing, a bit of cardboard, or a plastic sleeve that seems oh so good at holding condensation and or drizzle or whatever, in there to stay, forever. I am hoping that the next time I can make it to the Big City, I might be so lucky as to find one of those plastic cases people from Asian countries use for carrying around a non-disposable pair of chopsticks. And I am hoping that little case might fit some chainsaw files just exactly perfectly, for the next time something like, hmmm, a big heavy chunk of wood maybe, lands on my chainsaw toolbox that lays in the back of my truck 365/24/7 and f-s up the water seal seating on it just so, so that the cold rain & snow can get in there and spawn that hated demon on my chainsaw files - RUST.

P.S. any lead on where the thread is for and about that new Husqvarna chain factory is working out would be appreciated. If they are gonna make chain - are they gonna make files?
As long as the file says made in Switzerland
Or Switzerland
Swiss is just a style.

Vises - I learned to sharpen with a vise on a workbench, in a basement, with a nice bright light shining on everything. Tough to beat for convenience and perfect accuracy. So I used to drag around a little "stump vise" that you could tap into any ole handy stump. It always rusted itself shut, hard, and I would coax it back open with penetrating oil and a lot of hammering and swearing until it would open and close again. And then I would forget about it completely for another year, and have to bust out the penetrating oil again because in the meantime I was always just using the handiest workbench ever - a tailgate.

a Vise is nice

I have one mounted on the corner of my trailer very handy I put some oil on the screw from time to time , I bought it at a yard sale for 4 dollars froze up , a hammer and some oil and it was freed up.

I was carrying another vice bolted to a 2x12 for when I only had the truck and not the trailer but that was heavy and I am using it in my shop now , I bought a stump vice and cut a slab from a cherry made a notch to take the stump vise and this works well on the tailgate of the truck. I knock the vise back out of the notch when I am done using it and put it back in my tool bag and it stays in the cab of the truck in the back seat.

if I forget my chunk of cherry I can always cut another slab or just use a round set on the tailgate

I have some stihl , a husky and some oregon files the must have been the good ones as they all seem to work well and last a decent time

I use pferd files and a pferd chain sharp. I have the first generation that has to be flipped over but same concept as the Stihl 2 in 1.

Their files seem to last forever... Or at least nearly forever! Either they are super hard or Oregon chains or on the softer side, or both .

I use pferd files and a pferd chain sharp. I have the first generation that has to be flipped over but same concept as the Stihl 2 in 1.

The files seem to last forever... Or at least nearly forever! Either they are super hard or Oregon chains or on the softer side, or both .

my local saw shop owner tells me Carlton sharpens then hardens and Oregon hardens then sharpens.
technically Carlton should stay sharp a little longer on the first use but a little harder to sharpen, but by the 2nd sharpening they are both about the same and he sells some of each , both work.

harden then ground would make them a little easier to sharpen.

Yup! Kinda hard to make big improvements on a several century old round metal rod. Some days my file is the greatest file in the entire history of files, and the next day it feels dull, and the next day it is again amazing. Get the chain clean, and let the metal act on the metal. A film of oil or dirt and the file does not make good contact and will feel dull.

When I am out in the wilderness and have no choice but to file away, go 1 or two strokes per cutter, wiping the file across the back of your glove every stroke. After doing each cutter this way, then begin filing and making an actual difference.

How do you clean them? Can you pre-soak them?what with?

If I'm in the shop, I blow them of with my air compressor, but they are still oily. In the field. I just make one stroke and then try to tap the grime out of the file. Former is okay. Latter not very good. Don't know what it's like to file an oil-free chain.

I have a bench vise bolted to a 2x6 that's as long as my powerhead with my longest bar. I clamp it to my tailgate or shop workbench. I transport my primary saw on the vise- board. Wish I could transport the air compressor but I would need a generator too. Other things like csm, ladder, cant hook, tool box, lumber scraps, etc are seem more neccessary.

I have NOS nicholson files and they are the best !

They were our favorite up here also. When I bought up a pile of dealer remaining stock there were many boxes of all sized Nicholson files in it from the 60`s according to the sales slips found with them. Still using them, they get carded and oiled after each use. I carry disposable Stihl files in my saw kit bag for outdoor use.

A redneck goes to the hardware store and asks for a file.

"Right this way sir"

"How about a nice flat bastard??"

"No" , he replies loudly.

"Give me one of those round ****ers!!!!"

I have not noticed a big difference from one brand of files to another. Yes there are some differences or pros and cons. Oregon is a little more course than some consequently it goes a little faster than some. If I can get them for around a $1.25 seems like a reasonable buy to me. Now and then I run accross a bargan where as a dozen for $6 is also nice. However bargan brands often wear faster. I make sure that I have at least three dozen on hand at any moment because when you need to cut dull files just do not cut it. Thanks

Back