When do you guys bring your wood inside?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
well i know alot of people dont do it. last year i prolly brought a cord and a half inside the cellar. i left it there till january ish. as i didnt wanna do shovel off the woodpile to get more wood. basicly i get my wood right from the pile as weather permits and when it gets crappy i just hit the cellar pile. it worked out really well the last 2 or so years. i think this year im gonna bring in alot more. i was figuring in a few weeks to start bringin it all in.

do alot of you do this or am i alone here lol, Mike

Bugs in the house give me the willies. We do have a covered porch on the back side of the house. I have about 4 cords in now and 2 more nearly ready. Hope to have all the wood for the winter in this week.

Bow season is just around the corner and I would rather be hunt'n than cut'n.

the way i and a lot of older people i know start bringing in there wood after it freezes a few times. and then they also put it in totes. just in case there is a living bug or two. my 2 cents

Ive got a lean-to and a woodshed. I bring firewood in the house every evening for the night and the next day.

the way i and a lot of older people i know start bringing in there wood after it freezes a few times. and then they also put it in totes. just in case there is a living bug or two. my 2 cents

The rubbermaid tote is pretty handy for this. Especially since some of the pine im burning this year was "seasoned" in a forest fire.:agree2:

well i use a good sized tote upstairs next to the insert. it will hold maybe 2 days or so of wood. i also have a traditional looking small firewood holder that will hold a day or so of wood.

i understand about the bug thing i do check the logs out before i bring them in usually. my main worry is termites. if i see any bugs i leave it outside. though im sure sometimes they sneek in through the bark.

put it in totes.

Hmmm, never thought of that, heck of an idea.. Growing up we had a fireplace, and kept wood on the back porch or right outside the back door covered for bad weather days. Now that I have an outdoor stove, it all stays outside close to the stove.

I burn a lot more wood if it is within reach. My living room ends up being 90 degrees by the time I go to bed if I have a big stash inside. Sometimes it helps my rationing if the wood is about 50ft from the front door and it is below zero outside:cheers:

I have a walkout basement and a retaining wall just outside of the door. I stack about 2/3s of a cord out there and keep it covered. My woodstove is real close to the door so it's no problem to bring it in as I use it.

I've been known to go out there at night wearing only my underwear just to get a couple pieces of wood. :D We don't have any close neighbors so my wife doesn't mind it too much.

Already had 3 cord in the shed, just began putting 2 1/2 cord into the back porch. About mid Jan, I will be moving wood from the shed into the porch and then in spring using from the outside piles. Go through about 7 cord/yr of Willow so I burn a lot.

Harry K

I keep the wood I intend to burn in the one winter under a tarp, and then bring a week's worth at a time into the garage, and keep it there to use as I need it. When I'm burning I have a canvas wood carrier to bring it in the house that I'll refill a couple times per night.

I put about 5 cord in the barn once we have had a couple good frosts. Usually the end of October. Typically the bugs are very cold by then. The wood goes from the barn to the wood carrier to the stove.

My wood pile is about 10 ft from my basement window which is right beside my stove. My basement is only 50% finished so I normally throw a few arm loads in as needed. Last year I did bring about a cord in and stacked it along the wall but it was seasoned enough that I wasn't worried about Moisture. This year I'd like my wood to dry as much possible before I burn it.

We toss down some as needed when the weather starts to turn cold enough to burn. Once the first impending snowfall is in the forecast, I'll stuff the basement with wood, floor to ceiling, wall to wall, 5cords, or more.
One big effort over a couple days in the beginning, and the wood continues to dry down there as well.

The wood sits on pallets, that are on concrete, under a steel roof, and open on three sides, its pretty clean, dry, and bugless for the most part by the time it gets tossed through the window.

we bring it about two days worth of burn at a time. Seems to take about three days for the carpenter ants to unthaw and start moving around.

I keep about two weeks worth of wood on a covered back porch. The rest of the wood is under a tarp behind my kids playground in the back yard. I keep only about 1 day's worth in the house(mostly to avoid the bug issue)

I load up the wood shed with about a weeks worth at a time seems to work ok for the one stove last year. This year with the second stove across the house I will have to figure out a cleaner way to get it inside and contain the bugs. The totes are a great idea, will have to give them a try.

SS

Back